Two years after launch Windows 11 adoption is still waaaay behind Windows 10

I like the start in the middle, that's the least of what's wrong. Win 11 still can't load my Z790 boards internet connection drivers during a fresh install. That's amazing negligence. They obviously know, they just ignore it. If they ignore something as blatant as intel's latest motherboard basic driver...

That's because you're trying to run hardware that's meant for Windows 7 on a Windows 11 OS. Do you have a top down fan CPU cooler that is meant to help cool the surrounding area, including the chipset?

The system is/was an HP desktop mid-tower that actually came with Vista. The CPU was upgraded, the RAM was upgraded, it was upgraded with an SSD, and even the power-supply was replaced at one point. I added the extra fan aimed at the chipset and it ran fine on Windows 10 for 4 or 5 extra years after that. The system has since been retired. I only mentioned those 15+ year old nforce systems because they are literally the only example I could think of where I encountered some form of issue with Windows 11 on older hardware.

I like the start in the middle, that's the least of what's wrong. Win 11 still can't load my Z790 boards internet connection drivers during a fresh install. That's amazing negligence. They obviously know, they just ignore it. If they ignore something as blatant as intel's latest motherboard basic driver...
that happens with all new chipsets, takes time for them to integrate them. the spring update might have em.

I'm pretty sure that was added at some point and you couldn't do it when 11 first came out.

The goal is to appeal to the largest group of users while spending the least amount of money. Pretty much any business decision ever.

except the code base is already there to just put the options back in with little to no fuss.

Windows 10 still utterly dominates the desktop PC operating system market, despite Windows 11 having been around for 2 years now...and there's not much sign of this changing any time soon

the latest figures suggest people, as individuals and as a business, really aren't into Windows 11 at all...with the numbers now updated for September 2023, we can see the global uptake of Microsoft's latest operating system has been stagnant since April 2023, and there doesn't seem to be any indication that this will change

Not only that, but the market share paints a dismal picture: 71% for Win10, just 24% for Win11, and 3% for Win7 (with the rest being XP, 8.1, and so on)...the figure for Windows 10 has barely changed in twelve months and it's only the decline of Windows 7 that has benefited the newest version...

https://www.pcgamer.com/two-years-a...1-adoption-is-still-waaaay-behind-windows-10/
It won't change much until aug 2025

The lack of ability to add custom toolbars to the Taskbar is the only reason I haven't moved to Windows 11. I have four toolbars divided into different categories, and I launch all my programs from there. I also use the Taskbar Tweaker app, and apparently it doesn't work with W11.
They also got rid of Intel vpro drivers, no easy vlan mgmt now

Ooh I’ve got something for that, it’s now a platform independent of the OS. (Limited features with AMD and non vPro CPUs, but I’ve been told they can be enrolled)

It’s now the Intel EMA platform, I’ve got them installing and configuring mine on the 4th.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-endpoint-management-assistant-intel-ema.html

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ngV2hssNVM

Is it as fun to setup as their vPro management software? That was awful..

Is it as fun to setup as their vPro management software? That was awful..
I don’t know, Intel offers it as a freemium service. In their efforts to curb adoption of AMD and non pro CPU’s they are doing the whole job pro bono. So I just need to get them space on my VM Host, and have a small list of installers ready to go. They then do the full config and deployment. They booked their install team from Spain?? Either way the project has a 6am PST start time next month.

Last edited:
I don’t know, Intel offers it as a freemium service. In their efforts to curb adoption of AMD and non pro CPU’s they are doing the whole job pro bono. So I just need to get them space on my VM Host, and have a small list of installers ready to go. They then do the full config and deployment. They booked their install team from Spain?? Either way the project has a 6am PST start time next month.
Wow give me your contact please

Quick Google - first hit:
https://www.pcworld.com/article/541452/make-windows-11-look-like-windows-10.html

Lots of other options. Even ways to tune crazy, new (dumb) things like the context menu - https://github.com/moudey/Shell.

Google your pain - someone else probably has it. Even Ninite has some stuff amongst all the options: https://ninite.com/.
I was hoping to hear 1st hand from the other guy to see what he uses, I already used ExplorerPatcher and some Start Menu hack, forgot what it's called" to bring back a W7-ish era menu, was hoping for a 10 look.
Next to do is to bring back Quick Launch to hold my common apps and separate it from whatever opened tasked I have. Also need to 2 rows for the opened tasks and notifications icon area.

pin stuff, single click and its opened. whatever gripes i had about the taskbar have been long forgotten(not the start menu, its still a pos), i got used to it and didnt need it...
You can't open multiple instances of pinned apps, plus they get mixed in with opened apps, constantly moving instead of being at the exact same location on screen all the time. And no small icons means less efficient usage of screen area.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/541452/make-windows-11-look-like-windows-10.html

Lots of other options. Even ways to tune crazy, new (dumb) things like the context menu - https://github.com/moudey/Shell.

Google your pain - someone else probably has it. Even Ninite has some stuff amongst all the options: https://ninite.com/.
Third party UI fixes are epheremal at best, disastrous at worst. Any random update can break the fix. I've experienced it when I first tried W11 on one of my spare PCs. The start menu simply died and clicking on start would do nothing. I literally only had access to pinned apps, anything else I needed to start by bringing up task manager and using the run command from there. Uninstalling the 3rd party fix did nothing. There was no way to fix it outside of re-installing windows.

Third party UI fixes are epheremal at best, disastrous at worst. Any random update can break the fix. I've experienced it when I first tried W11 on one of my spare PCs. The start menu simply died and clicking on start would do nothing. I literally only had access to pinned apps, anything else I needed to start by bringing up task manager and using the run command from there. Uninstalling the 3rd party fix did nothing. There was no way to fix it outside of re-installing windows.
Definitely a risk. But that's the life of someone that fears change. More security vulnerabilities, more risk.

It's frustrating how half the programs I install don't automatically throw a icon on the desktop. It's normal practice to hit the windows key and manually type in the brand new program just installed then need to go find it digging in the OS. Then right click and find file location open that, and maybe get to an icon you can then have the access to right click again and send to desktop. This is if it finds it in the first place. Sometimes a windows search won't even find it. WIN 11 is such a neglected shit show. They don't listen to their customers. It's turning into apple fast or has been for a while.

You don't need third-party software to get the old context menu back to the default. You just need to add a registry key and a blank DWORD to it.

The key:
Code:
HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}

The DWORD:
Code:
InprocServer32

When you create the DWORD you need to edit it to set the value to blank. If the DWORD says "(value not set)" then it won't work.

You can't open multiple instances of pinned apps, plus they get mixed in with opened apps, constantly moving instead of being at the exact same location on screen all the time. And no small icons means less efficient usage of screen area.
yeah you can, right click the icon then click here:
1707747900855.png

things stay where they are for me, never cared about small icon, i dont leave that much shit open an running all the time.

yeah you can, right click the icon then click here:
View attachment 634442

things stay where they are for me, never cared about small icon, i dont leave that much shit open an running all the time.
I know, but why would I want to replace a single click with right click point, left click? Basically three times the effort for nothing.

If titles are enabled everything to the right of open apps moves.

It's frustrating how half the programs I install don't automatically throw a icon on the desktop. It's normal practice to hit the windows key and manually type in the brand new program just installed then need to go find it digging in the OS. Then right click and find file location open that, and maybe get to an icon you can then have the access to right click again and send to desktop. This is if it finds it in the first place. Sometimes a windows search won't even find it. WIN 11 is such a neglected shit show. They don't listen to their customers. It's turning into apple fast or has been for a while.

I don't want icons just haphazardly being thrown on the desktop; so at least in this case I'd say they are listening to their customers :smuggrin: . I agree that the Search is sometimes a shitshow though.

I don't want icons just haphazardly being thrown on the desktop; so at least in this case I'd say they are listening to their customers :smuggrin: . I agree that the Search is sometimes a shitshow though.
I really hate the default putting icons all over the desktop. Especially when you install some software package that is like 12-15 icons. I know its simple to delete them, but should only go there if asked.

Thats happened to me a couple of times. I found a powershell command on google to basically reinstall the shell.

I really hate the default putting icons all over the desktop. Especially when you install some software package that is like 12-15 icons. I know its simple to delete them, but should only go there if asked.
icon creation is handled by the installer, not windows. tick/untick the box...

Last edited:
A lot of the issues you guys are whining about have incredibly easy fixes ... most of them are simple settings changes in Windows 11. Some serious first world problems going on in here.
Most of the problems on Linux have a lot of incredibly easy fixes... assuming you know how to use Google. That kinda defeats the purpose of a commercial product like Windows.

I have so many things open usually I need the tiers. I want the text not just the icon, I don't want grouped items either. I also have other shortcuts in the task bar to other things like drives and what not.
So, how much do you have open? roflmao.

Attachments

• windows lol.jpg
    windows lol.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 0
Whoever doesn't want a freshly installed program to throw the icon up on the desktop has too much time on their hands because they WANT to go looking for it. Even pressing the windows key and typing in the name of the app is a huge waste of time. Yes seconds matter to me. When I got a million things going on the last thing I need is to faff around my OS finding the program I want to use that has been buried deep in the OS. Not everyone wants to deal with that bullshit lol

Whoever doesn't want a freshly installed program to throw the icon up on the desktop has too much time on their hands because they WANT to go looking for it. Even pressing the windows key and typing in the name of the app is a huge waste of time. Yes seconds matter to me. When I got a million things going on the last thing I need is to faff around my OS finding the program I want to use that has been buried deep in the OS. Not everyone wants to deal with that bullshit lol
I have no idea what you're talking about. You type an app's name and it comes up instantly. If you want an instant search type function, use Microsoft's PowerToys Run: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/run

That is a really strong stance to take on something like that lol. I know i said i didnt want programs to place on the desktop but not willing to die on that hill either lol.

What exactly is the issue?
Many of the easy packagers out there designed for multiple platforms don't automatically enable the desktop icon creation and many developers forget to add it or enable it as a selectable option.

Which apps? Fusion 360 does indeed work on Linux, but it's a pain and often breaks with updates. Everything is an easy fix with the help of Google, but nobody really wants to deal with them. I'm sure Windows 11 problems can be fixed, but why does a commercial product need fixing?
Please, just stop with the Linux shilling. I've genuinely tried many times to convert to Linux, including recently. It's just not there yet. It may never be there. What does Fusion 360 have to do with literally anything whatsoever? No, nothing is an easy fix with the help of Google. Please stop talking out of your nether region as if Googling things will fix all the blatant flaws currently plaguing Linux. Linux is not a solution to everything. I'm in IT for a living and now I'm getting into software engineering (and yes ... Linux is great for that). I'm not stupid. I'm currently on macOS right now for the native UNIX dev environment, but when I go back to Windows again (sold my last PC as it wasn't powerful enough for what I want to do with it), I'll probably be dual booting some flavor of Linux for development, although Microsoft is making it easier all the time for devs (my buddy codes exclusively in Windows), such as bringing sudo commands into Windows.

Last edited:
Please, just stop with the Linux shilling. I've genuinely tried many times to convert to Linux, including recently. It's just not there yet. It may never be there. What does Fusion 360 have to do with literally anything whatsoever? No, nothing is an easy fix with the help of Google. Please stop talking out of your nether region as if Googling things will fix all the blatant flaws currently plaguing Linux. Linux is not a solution to everything. I'm in IT for a living and now I'm getting into software engineering (and yes ... Linux is great for that). I'm not stupid. I'm currently on macOS right now for the native UNIX dev environment, but when I go back to Windows again (sold my last PC as it wasn't powerful enough for what I want to do with it), I'll probably be dual booting some flavor of Linux for development, although Microsoft is making it easier all the time for devs (my buddy codes exclusively in Windows), such as bringing sudo commands into Windows.
Same experience as me. I began as a programmer, became an it admin for a few, and now am a dev again. Linux has stunk every time I tried it. The constant shilling is really pathetic.

Back