Two Different Pumps, Same Loop

Hello, I've looked everywhere on the forums about this... could not find anything.

I'm running a Zalman Reserator 1 Plus. The stock pump is extremely weak, it is rated at ~60 GPH. I've just picked up an extremely cheap Via Aqua 1300 rated at ~340 GPH (to play around with). I purchased this to see if a stronger pump would lower my temperatures.

Now... if I run these two different pumps in the same loop, will the flow be limited to the lower power pump? Will there be any damage caused to either of the pumps? If the slower pump is turned off, will it effect the flow rate of the higher speed pump? Help me out please! The stock pump is built into the radiator/reservoir.

I will venture a reply, while I have never messed with this specific configuration I have played with 2 pumps in a loop and have some experience.

will the flow be limited to the lower power pump? Will there be any damage caused to either of the pumps? If the slower pump is turned off, will it effect the flow rate of the higher speed pump? Help me out please! The stock pump is built into the radiator/reservoir.

The lower power pump will severly restrict flow and affect the flow in the loop. The new pump is probally powerfull enough to force water through the old pump somewhat faster but no where near the flow compared to if the old pump could be removed.

You could damage the old pump by having it in the loop as water being forced through it by the new pump could cause it to spin faster than designed and cause overheating and other problems with the motor of the old pump.

Unless you can figure out how to disassemble and remove the old pump I would not run it very long with those 2 pumps.

Yes, as above but even worse. this assumes the old pump is a centrifugal type pump.

If the old pump could be disassembled and the impeller removed it would help, some.

yea i would agree, though i dont think it would damage the smaller pump, it would restrict the water flow quite substantialy and probably put a strain on the new pump. also if i remember correctly the reserator is a 1/4" ID system? i dont think its possible to move upwards of 300gph through 1/4" tubing and blocks without some high pressures, which could cause leaks. at any rate i would say use one or the other.

It's been discussed before, try searching for parallel pumps or pump redundancy...

Running them together inline is probably not a good idea. Replacing your 60gph pump with a larger one would be a better move. I can't suggest that you do so with the VA 1300 though, because I've gone through 2 of those in the past and they both were pieces of crap, and died without reason. Plumbing the 1300 inline and turning off the Zalman would be fine, except you obviously have the added resistance of the "dead" pump in the loop.

Putting two in parallel (with splitters to split/join flow between the two) would be another option, but I wouldn't try it with the two you have. I'd bet that the 1300 would just be pushing water backwards through the Zalman because of the huge difference in pressure between the two. Also, unless you smashed that 1300 inside your reserator, you'd have to have it mounted externally and most of your flow would not be through the Reserator.

Hello, I've looked everywhere on the forums about this... could not find anything.

I'm running a Zalman Reserator 1 Plus. The stock pump is extremely weak, it is rated at ~60 GPH. I've just picked up an extremely cheap Via Aqua 1300 rated at ~340 GPH (to play around with). I purchased this to see if a stronger pump would lower my temperatures.

Now... if I run these two different pumps in the same loop, will the flow be limited to the lower power pump? Will there be any damage caused to either of the pumps? If the slower pump is turned off, will it effect the flow rate of the higher speed pump? Help me out please! The stock pump is built into the radiator/reservoir.

doh ! I am with ghost if anywhere there is a 1/4" fitting or tube, I would not bother hooking up the bigger pump.

Back