TV tuner card?

wesquaz

Weaksauce
OK, I know this is a completely noob question, but will an ATI tuner card work with a Nvidia video card, or does that matter at all?

yeah, long ago you couldn't use an ATI tuner with an NV card for some reason (cough, cough ;) ) but yeah it doesn't matter anymore.

Definitely get one with a hardware encoder/decoder. You'll get less skipping if you're recording and using your computer at the same time.

Here is a decent image quality comparison:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/tuner-comparo/index.x?pg=10

I think Anandtech did a round up recently too.

I had a PVR 150 MCE and I thought it couldnt get better. I bought a second tuner because I was having to decide which TV show to record (some shows were conflicting!). I bought the saphire card since it was only 69 bucks. The ATI elite sells for 140 and its the same card (Im guessing the remote is what pushes it to that ceiling). I can honestly say the image quality on the 550 is MUCH better than my PVR 150.

Again just subjective opinion!

All the reviews I have seen show the oposite with the Hauppage beating out the others. I'm looking at getting the Hauppage PVR-500 with dual PVR's for recording multiple channels at once.

i saw that the pvr150 only has hardware encoding, while only the 350 has both. What does the hardware decoding offerr? Just when you are watching tv?

thinking about getting a tv tuner again, after i have tried and gave up on the TV Wonder VE. Just way too buggy for me. Driver installation was a pain too. Had much sound and picture problems.

will 150 with NO hardware decoding be fine?

The 350 has both TV out and hardware based decoding which is only useful if you are using a Epia based system or a setup that is so old that it needs to have as many hardware based cards in order to function.

Also the drivers for the decoder are unstable and rather flaky unless you're running an Epia with Linux (the Linux drivers for the Epia and PVR350 are a wonder when compared to the crap drivers that we get for Windows).

It's just like your old TV Wonder VE but without the horrible junk drivers.

gsboriqua said:
Get the saphire theatrix 550. Pretty much the best hardware accelerated tuner out there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815117601

Or the MSI one, or the powercolor one. Same ATI tuner at the heart of em.

Just my two cents.
Whatever you do DO NOT get a Sapphire Theatrix 550 or any other line of ATI TV Wonder Elite. I can't believe ATI released such garbage. Wait until they either fix the numerous problems they're having with the card (they've publically stated that they are not) or buy something else. My Theatrix is sitting in a box waiting for Fed Ex to pick it up and send it back to Newegg. It is honestly the worst piece of hardware I have ever bought for my computer....worst by a mile.

Back