TV suitable for use as a monitor

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for a 1080p display around 27-32" that would mostly be used as a TV but can also serve as a monitor and is easy to move around, fits in a car, etc. I'm thinking I'm looking for a TV since it needs to have a tuner & speakers. 1080p because 720p monitors make me gag & 27-32" for portability. Something other than a TN panel would be nice, and gaming isn't a concern. Mostly I just want a TV that doesn't have overscan that can't be turned off when connected to a computer via HDMI, which is usually hard to figure out from spec sheets. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The TL;DR version: Find a Samsung D6000 or D7000 (if they go that high in 32") series LED HDTV that has a manufacturing date no older than late-2010 (mine I'm pretty sure in Nov of 2010).

This is just something to consider, because I'm not sure exactly what panel they use (has a pretty darn wide view angle though), but the Samsung UN46D6050 LED model I bought and now use as my primary system screen has worked wonderfully (gaming included). Not only does it have everything you just wanted, but it is darn thin as well. So if you got a 32" equiv of it, you'd be set!

To elaborate on "everything you wanted": First, for general TV (including Game Mode) it has an option to not overscan and that is how I watch TV with zero content oddities with DirecTV... aside from some commercials and a few really old SD broadcast TV shows in which there is a few pixels that show up across the top that is the counting timestamp thinger (same as a movie screener). Game Mode turns off the majority of the post processing crap, which is also how I watch TV because I can't stand any of that, the one "Con" I'd give this set.
However, something cool I discovered is that each Source you can set up with predefined labels, but strangely enough when I set the HDMI input I use for my computer to "PC" it put the set into a special mode. More or less, it's "Monitor Mode", if you wanna give it some sort of descriptive name heh When set to that, it honestly is just like a Monitor. All of the features in the setup menu are almost all inaccessible and from what I can tell disables ALL and any processing that goes on. In Game mode it will still do some auto-adjusting of the backlighting, which does bug me since occasionally a show will have a dark scene which is when it oddly adjusts the backlight down instead of up, making the scene even darker. Nevertheless, it isn't as bad as I'm making it sound really. Point is, the PC labeling shuts even that off.

Anyways I suspect that even the 32" will possess these features provided it's a D-series model and in the 6000 or higher line. I paid just over $700 for mine last April and for that price I got a beautiful LED Smart HDTV with a bunch of inputs (including 2x USB, an RJ-45 and a USB WiFi adapter), but also an amazing monitor which I didn't expect to work so well that I abandoned my dual monitor setup for lol

Yea my Samsung HDTV is definitely not TN, as I know my older Sammy monitor is and has view angle issues. My TV is just like that LG though:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review#post_23179443

I assume I'm in 4:4:4 though given what AMD CCC has for choices in the "Color Pixel Format" drop down:
YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format
YCbCr 4:2:2 Pixel Format
RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format Studio (Limited RGB)
RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)

Which I admit ignorance in not knowing which is the more ideal choice, but I've been using the YCbCr 4:4:4 quite happily. I seem to recall swapping between it and the RGB PC choice and not seeing any discernible difference :\ I'm kind of a stickler for quality, but haven't quite dove that deep into the technical aspects like that :eek:

Given the choice between that LG and a 32" Sammy (provided it was just like mine), I don't think you can go wrong either way. Had mine been laggy or looked crappy, I definitely wouldn't have made the switch like I did, and from the looks of it that LG is pretty schwank as well :D

How practical are these models for pc gaming is what I'm wondering? Certainly cheaper than the Dell 3011 and 3014. Difference between TV, even at 1080P, and LCD monitors for PCs is much difference in quality and performance from everything I hear.

There is a lot of ignorance among the PC community in regards to HDTV's being used for a PC monitor. Most believe HDTV's just simply cannot be used as a PC monitor for any number of reasons they are able to count off if asked. Such as latency, refresh rate, resolution, size, etc.

They are just simply uneducated / misinformed.

The fact is, a huge amount of people as evident by all the threads you can find all over the internet use HDTV's for PC displays. Some of you will remember the 37" Westinghouse, the W1, W2 and W3 that was wildly popular with gaming enthusiasts 7 - 8 years ago. It was $1200 - $1300 dollars and at the time, a bargain for what you got.

The LG LN5300 is every bit as awesome as the Westy 37" W3 and then some.

Currently the hottest set to use is the LG LN5300 and variants. I use the 39" that is slightly larger than a 30" Dell / HP or Korean monitor. I would guess 10% - 12%. It has a super thin bezel. Has very low latency, same if not better than a typical PC monitor. Deep blacks, vibrant colors. The biggest selling point is the size. If you're a gamer and love getting sucked into the action, a large format such as a 32" or 39" screen will do that very well for you. There is also cost. These sets for what you get are an absolute steal. Frys just has the LG 39LN5300 on sale for $299.

You just can't beat that. Period!

I would highly recommend anyone that's wanting to move away from a tiny PC displays take a look at the AVS forums thread on this set.

There is a lot of ignorance among the PC community in regards to HDTV's being used for a PC monitor. Most believe HDTV's just simply cannot be used as a PC monitor for any number of reasons they are able to count off if asked. Such as latency, refresh rate, resolution, size, etc.

They are just simply uneducated / misinformed.

The fact is, a huge amount of people as evident by all the threads you can find all over the internet use HDTV's for PC displays. Some of you will remember the 37" Westinghouse, the W1, W2 and W3 that was wildly popular with gaming enthusiasts 7 - 8 years ago. It was $1200 - $1300 dollars and at the time, a bargain for what you got.

The LG LN5300 is every bit as awesome as the Westy 37" W3 and then some.

Currently the hottest set to use is the LG LN5300 and variants. I use the 39" that is slightly larger than a 30" Dell / HP or Korean monitor. I would guess 10% - 12%. It has a super thin bezel. Has very low latency, same if not better than a typical PC monitor. Deep blacks, vibrant colors. The biggest selling point is the size. If you're a gamer and love getting sucked into the action, a large format such as a 32" or 39" screen will do that very well for you. There is also cost. These sets for what you get are an absolute steal. Frys just has the LG 39LN5300 on sale for $299.

You just can't beat that. Period!

I would highly recommend anyone that's wanting to move away from a tiny PC displays take a look at the AVS forums thread on this set.

Sage advice. I use my Samsung A650 from time to time as a PC monitor , its absolutely fantastic and has the deepest blacks of all my monitors. It's great for watching Blu Ray's as well since it can do 24hz refresh rate without any flicker or distortion and it helps make movies nice and smooth.

How practical are these models for pc gaming is what I'm wondering? Certainly cheaper than the Dell 3011 and 3014. Difference between TV, even at 1080P, and LCD monitors for PCs is much difference in quality and performance from everything I hear.

I solely use my 46" as my monitor (~8ft away) and have zero problems. I actually just finished playing through Wolfenstein 2009 heh IIRC from researching, mine has a 5ms response tme and I think the monitor I went from is somewhere around there as well, but might be around 7ms since it is from like 2008 (Samsung 2233BW).

The difference you're probably thinking of, is DPI. You're cramming 1080p (or higher) into a smaller screen; however, it evens out in the end because of how far away you'll view it from in comparison. That's why your phone has a really high DPI compared to your TV, since if you had your TV's DPI in your hand, it'd look like a Sega Game Gear's screen lol

Like Six has said, the times have changed and a TV is quite suitable in the role of a monitor. :)

Hmmm... so three 32" set up may be a cheaper more viable way to game than three 30" LCDs. Thanks for the info. I'll keep this all in mind when it comes time to upgrade from a single 28" LCD. :)

Samsung Syncmaster 27" P2770HD LCD Full HD TV 1080p
This.

I have used it as a monitor and tv as well. I had to adjust the screen when I first bought it, but all is well now! It's actually my left screen in my surround setup. Bought for a little less than $200 refurb on eBay. A couple hardly noticed scuffs on the screen and tiny crack going through the bezel, but monitor works perfectly.

Hmmm... so three 32" set up may be a cheaper more viable way to game than three 30" LCDs. Thanks for the info. I'll keep this all in mind when it comes time to upgrade from a single 28" LCD. :)

SixFootDuo is totally correct. I've used a 37" Westinghouse from about 3.5' away since 2007.

Cheaper than 3x30" is an understatement. You can pick up the 3xHDTVs for about the price of a single 30" and you will be able to drive the pixels with MUCH MUCH cheaper hardware.

I bought the 32LN5300 the other day to use primarily as a PC monitor. It has been a awesome experience thus far and have no regrets. Looks great!

Back