Tuniq Tower-120 - fan control knob stopped working. Speedfan isn't working either.

calebb

[H]F Junkie
I just built a new system - P5K Deluxe, E6320, Lian Li V1200-plus ii, etc.

When I initially assembled it, the variable resistor / fan control knob on the back of the case worked correctly - it would control the fan between 1000 - 2000 rpm as indicated in Windows via PC Probe (Asus app).

I decided to try changing the direction of the Tuniq fan and the rear exhaust fan (since both were blowing "in" to the case as shipped from Lian Li). After switching the direction, the fan stays at full speed which is both overkill and noisy ;-)

The fan control knob and the fan have a quick disconnect so you can easily remove the heatsink/fan or fan control knob independently of each other. I thought perhaps I damaged it. I pulled out the fan control knob and tested it with me multi meter (which, unfortunately, has a broken LCD but the continuity monitor still works!). When I turn the knob all the way one direction, I hear the beep - which means the fan control knob/cable are probably not damaged.

I guess the only other possibility is that I damaged the control wire that connects to the fan. I did some google searches but didn't come up with anything. I'm not sure, but I thought you could control CPU fan speeds from most current motherboads via onboard PWM controllers.

So, I turned on the Asus Fan-Q and CPU Fan-Q (whatever they are called) and sure enough, the chassis fans do spin down from 1500 rpm to ~1000 rpm or so. But the CPU fan is not controlled. (The motherboard has a 4 pin connector for the CPU fan but I'm just using the 3 pins - +12, gnd, rpm - it's keyed so you connect it properly).

I installed speedfan and I am not able to control the speed of the CPU or the Chassis fans - although it does report back the current % that the chassis fans are at when the Asus BIOS utility slows them down.

So, any tips on how I can fix this other than ordering a new 120mm fan with speed adjustment? I would love to just control the speed from Windows if possible...

Cliffs:
Help me slow down the 40db beast in my tuniq HSF!

I should mention - I am enjoying the 19C idle temp, but my wife is getting tired of me saying "what?" every time she asks me something from the other room. (It is a bit loud at 100%...)

I should mention - I am enjoying the 19C idle temp, but my wife is getting tired of me saying "what?" every time she asks me something from the other room. (It is a bit loud at 100%...)

You think thats loud? You should try hearing my 2700 RPM panflo's going at it while my Tuniq Tower is at 100% speed. :) My gf complains that we should turn off my PC at night cause she cant sleep....sleep? Who needs sleep? Its 4:32AM here and im wide awake...then again, i took some Vicodin and im feeling a bit drowsy now.

You think thats loud? You should try hearing my 2700 RPM panflo's going at it while my Tuniq Tower is at 100% speed. :) My gf complains that we should turn off my PC at night cause she cant sleep....sleep? Who needs sleep? Its 4:32AM here and im wide awake...then again, i took some Vicodin and im feeling a bit drowsy now.

lol, its all about the cpu temperature.

@OP: change the fan of the tuniq tower to Yate Loon.

You seriously think the Tuniqs fan is loud at 100%? For being at full speed I think its fairly quiet. Try running some deltas at full speed all the time like I did in my last case then you'll change your mind.:p

Heh, this post made it to the top of the index pretty quick :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=speedfan+p5k

I've been playing with speedfan some more. If I adjust the fan multiplier to either 128 or 1, I can control my system (chassis) fans from 1450rpm -> 1550rpm. If the fan multiplier is anything else, I cannot adjust the fan speed at all.

I would love to be able to adjust them down even farther than that - has anyone run into an issue like this?

The CPU fan speed is not adjustable at all since it has a 4-pin connect and I have a 3 pin fan. (actually, I swapped a chassis fan and the CPU fan to see if I can slow down my CPU fan a bit until I get a replacement fan from Tuniq ;))

Ok, I found a reasonable workaround :)

Swapped CPU Fan & Rear Case Fan cables
Enabled Q-Fan in Bios
Set chassis fans to fixed 80% speed

Ahh... so quiet... The spl that CPU fan produces more than doubles as you increase the speed from 80% -> 100%...

Back