Trying to move from a 250D to something smaller with a GTX 970 SSC

maclem8223

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title states I'm looking to get into a smaller case for my HTPC, I love my Corsair 250D but I would like to change up the design for my living room and I like the looks of something like Silverstone's GDO9. I'm looking for the most space for the GPU and hold at least 2 WD Red's and a 2.5" SSD. I like the set-top box look so that is what I'm going far. mITX mobo and I am willing to swap to a smaller form factor PSU if necessary. Just looking for opinions on a possible new case, thanks in advance.

Below are some cases you can consider and their relative size to your current case:

28 liters - Corsair 250D
27 liters - SilverStone GD09 (takes full size ATX board & ATX PSU)
21 liters - SilverStone GD04 & GD05 (Micro-ATX board & ATX PSU)

Not sure if you are willing to sacrifice one 3.5" drive, but if you are, then you can go even smaller with:

14 liters - SilverStone RVZ01 / ML07 / FTZ01 (Mini-ITX board & SFX PSU)

Below are some cases you can consider and their relative size to your current case:

28 liters - Corsair 250D
27 liters - SilverStone GD09 (takes full size ATX board & ATX PSU)
21 liters - SilverStone GD04 & GD05 (Micro-ATX board & ATX PSU)

Not sure if you are willing to sacrifice one 3.5" drive, but if you are, then you can go even smaller with:

14 liters - SilverStone RVZ01 / ML07 / FTZ01 (Mini-ITX board & SFX PSU)

Thanks Tony, I'm willing to give up one of the 3.5 HDD. I have an external caddy that will work for two. Want to stick with my mITX board and just be sure that the GPU will fit.

SilverStone Technology Mini-ITX Slim Small Form Factor Computer Case ML08B would work for GPU needs but not for your HDD needs. In order to support 1 3.5inch drive it limits you to short GPU's. Now if you converted one of those to an internal 2.5 inch drive, 1 SSD, and 1 external it might work.

SilverStone Technology Mini-ITX Slim Small Form Factor Computer Case ML08B would work for GPU needs but not for your HDD needs. In order to support 1 3.5inch drive it limits you to short GPU's. Now if you converted one of those to an internal 2.5 inch drive, 1 SSD, and 1 external it might work.
Yeah, I thought about that as well. The 3.5's are both 4TB WD reds so I don't know what would be comparable in a 2.5 inch drive. They are my media drives so I don't mind putting them in an external caddy if need be. I have 3 total but one is already running from the external enclosure. Seriously contemplating the RVZ01 and picking up a SFX psu as my current one definitely won't fit. Looking at cpu coolers now, it's an i5 4590 so I don't need anything to serious.

I have a Silverstone GD04B. Great case. I've had a EVGA GTX660Ti SC in there no problems. Power fed into the top on this card. The cables needed to go at immediate right angles after the connector for the lid to go on but this was fine.

I have a Blu-ray drive in mine. This will mean you will need a shallow cpu cooler.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. The 3.5's are both 4TB WD reds so I don't know what would be comparable in a 2.5 inch drive. They are my media drives so I don't mind putting them in an external caddy if need be. I have 3 total but one is already running from the external enclosure. Seriously contemplating the RVZ01 and picking up a SFX psu as my current one definitely won't fit. Looking at cpu coolers now, it's an i5 4590 so I don't need anything to serious.
Silverstone Tek Low-Profile Heatsink AR06 is what I plan to use in my ML08B which is very similar to the RVZ01. Here is hard's own review Introduction - SilverStone Argon AR06 Low Profile CPU Cooler Review

After a lot of contemplating I've decided on the RVZ01, Silverstone 600w SFX psu and another Argon AR06. I'm chalking my problems with the first AR06 up as a fluke given the reviews and the quality of Silverstone. And I'm ok with going down to 1 3.5" drive in the case. The external 2 bay should be sufficient for my media drives and streaming. Thanks for the advice folks I appreciate it.

Back