Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
My CPU is a Venice 3200+ now running at 2.4 GHz
Memory at DDR400
4x HTT
10x multiplier
Default voltage
Memory at 2.5 3 3 5

Whenever I try to break 2.4 GHz the system either never makes it into windows or it fails to post. I've tried just about everything and I can't go any faster.

I installed CPU-Z and it says that my memory is DDR4200 with a max speed of 263 MHz at 2.5 4 4 7. I'm using 2x512Mb sticks that were some test samples (basically handed to me by the person that owns the company) so I wonder what type of memory I really have.

So anywho, I guess this is a two-parter:

Any tips on breaking through 2.4 GHz
and
Did I luck out with this memory?

EDIT: Asus A8NE

Your last memory timing should be around 6-7 also, not 5. 2.5-3-3-6 or 7 That could limit you as well on mem.

I'd take and set the ram to like 3 4 4 7, see if it boots, then tighten up the timings little by little, just so you know the CPU can do it.

Read the A64 OC guide in the sticky. It is good information, particularly the first and second posts. Your HTT is at 240, and your htt Multiplier is 4. 960 MHz HTT is not a happy thing for many boards.

mwarps said:
Read the A64 OC guide in the sticky. It is good information, particularly the first and second posts. Your HTT is at 240, and your htt Multiplier is 4. 960 MHz HTT is not a happy thing for many boards.

It's Socket 939, I'm assuming. Stock on a S939 is 1000MHz HTT, so 960MHz should be fine.

Put a 1/2 divider on the memory and see if you can get any more out of the processor.

I'll try all the stuff you guys recomend, but what about my memory? Is it really PC4200?

Under_CeeJ said:
hum... check the chips?
Chips are covered by heat-spreaders and since they're test samples there are no discerning marks on them.

Make sure PCI and/or AGP lock is turned on, 240MHz is about where drives start to act up.

Yes, PCIExpress is 100Mhz
AGP is 66
PCI is 33

I tried overclocking again and it's still a no go. I tried to go for 250x10 = 2.5Ghz with 4xHTT to 1.0Ghz, I lowered the timings to 3-4-4-7, and raised the CPU voltage to 1.4875V. It can post but once it tries to load windows it locks up. Temps are fine, about 30C. I had the memory locked at DDR400.

I was able to get it to post at 2.66Ghz but it locks up at the same spot. I think it's a drive issue because everything is good until I try to boot off my SATA HDD. I'll look around and see if people are having trouble with this Asus A8NE and having trouble with drives and high overclocks. There might be a BIOS update or somthing that lets me really lock my bus speed.

Killdozer said:
...everything is good until I try to boot off my SATA HDD...
That could be your problem, SATA ports 1 and 2 usualy arent locked, while 3 and 4 are.Try putting the drive on port 3 or 4 :D

Unknown-One said:
That could be your problem, SATA ports 1 and 2 usualy arent locked, while 3 and 4 are.Try putting the drive on port 3 or 4 :D
Will try.

EDIT: No Go.

There are alot of 3200+ Venice cpu's out there that simply wont do over 2.4ghz without becoming unstable. I had one that would, and swapped for a friends who wouldnt just to see if it was his hardware, and it wouldnt. Sucks unfortunately, youve tried almost everything you can possibly try.

2T and looser memory timings for the win.
2.5Ghz on stock voltages still around 30C.
Posts at 2.6 with increased voltages but doesn't last for long. I guess I can't hit 2.6 but 2.5 is good enough for me.

have you tried a divider? it sounds like your memory is hitting a wall if running 2t brought you an extra 100 mhz on the processor...

Memory is locked at DDR400
HT 250x4

When I tried 2.6Ghz I did 260x4 and it didn't post, but at 260x3 it did...but that HTT speed is a little low. It didn't really matter much because even upping the voltage didn't make it stable at 2.6

Don't be afraid of vcore voltages of 1.55v. It will take it. It just sounds like it needs some more voltage to me. 1.475 isn't very high over stock. I'm running my s754 Venice 3000+ (1.4v stock) at 260x10 @ 1.55v (1.52v reported by cpu-z) and it idles at 33C and loads at 40C. Ram is set for DDR266 3-3-3-8 2T and it runs superpi 1M in 37 seconds. It sounds slow but it screams in HLDM/HL2DM.
HTT 3x: 260x3=780. If it works there use it.
Have you tried DDR333 @ 3-3-3-8 2T to see if it will get there?

That could be your problem, SATA ports 1 and 2 usualy arent locked, while 3 and 4 are.Try putting the drive on port 3 or 4
Nforce4 boards do not have this problem. for the love of god and all his damn penguins, drop the htt multi to 3x. drop the ram speed BELOW stock to make sure you can rule it OUT of the problem and start upping the voltage.

baldrik said:
Nforce4 boards do not have this problem. for the love of god and all his damn penguins, drop the htt multi to 3x. drop the ram speed BELOW stock to make sure you can rule it OUT of the problem and start upping the voltage.
Really? I thought it was only nForce4 boards that did have this problem. :confused:

BigMacAttack said:
Don't be afraid of vcore voltages of 1.55v. It will take it. It just sounds like it needs some more voltage to me. 1.475 isn't very high over stock. I'm running my s754 Venice 3000+ (1.4v stock) at 260x10 @ 1.55v (1.52v reported by cpu-z) and it idles at 33C and loads at 40C. Ram is set for DDR266 3-3-3-8 2T and it runs superpi 1M in 37 seconds. It sounds slow but it screams in HLDM/HL2DM.
HTT 3x: 260x3=780. If it works there use it.
Have you tried DDR333 @ 3-3-3-8 2T to see if it will get there?
Hazaa!
I set my memory to "DDR266" and...

2.7Ghz @ 1.5V
HTT 270*4
Memory Frequency 180Mhz at 3-3-3-8 (From CPU-Z)
34-37C under load
Wow, just wow. CS:S runs a lot better. Same with WoW and UT2k4.

3200 venice owner here. im 2.65 stable at 1.575 previous owner had it at 2.7 at like 1.52 on water tho.

ur 2.66 isnt bad. looks like ur at your limit. so be happy i guess. im sure u can get much more unless u use water and take off ur IHS

EDIT nm i jsut read ur post above. nice work!

I know a lot of guys will tell you not to run 2T and I prefer to run at 1T as well but if it will take my fsb higher by running 2T I'm willing to give it a shot. It doesn't seem to hurt my superpi performance since 37 seconds at 1M is the best I've ever gotten on 1T command rate.

Way to go Killdozer! Nice oc!

Back