Trying to determine if it is worth keeping my RTX 4090 - Maybe I am stupid lol

ng4ever

2[H]4U
I like it but not amazed by it. Maybe I am expecting too much idk.

Upgraded from a EVGA GTX 2060 super so yeah it should be a huge difference. It is but maybe it is because of my lower resolution ? 3440x1440

What do you all think ?

I can keep it but I wish there was a way to compare them side by side somehow. In person.

With GPU pricing and availability issues I aways keep extra GPUs for testing purposes for personal or clients rigs. Did the novelty wear off?
Must have cash burning your pocket, I had the same thing when I upgraded from 5820K to 12700K CPU, novelty wore off only noticeable diff was in increased min FPS. Remember your 4090 will be out of date in a few yrs. LOL.

Something to think about... I own a RX 5700 XT. For geometric mean benchmarks, 1080p Ultra, it's 48.3% of the performance of a 4090. You can get the RX 5700 XT used for about USD $100 (I paid $150 many months ago, shipped). At 1080p Medium, it's 65.9% of a 4090. 37.1% of a 4090 at 1440p Ultra. People talk about price to performance and often times compare things that are not too distant, but the problem actually can get quite a bit worse with distance.

You can see the whole comparison chart here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Benchmarks of Borderlands 3 (DX12), Far Cry 6 (DX12), Flight Simulator (DX11 AMD/DX12 Intel/Nvidia), Forza Horizon 5 (DX12), Horizon Zero Dawn (DX12), Red Dead Redemption 2 (Vulkan), Total War Warhammer 3 (DX11), and Watch Dogs Legion (DX12)

If you had a 2060S since release, are you also still on that original old system? Because even top-end CPUs from that era (~2019) would definitly be holding back a 4090. I mean, from personal experience, I moved up from a 3080 to a 4090 and the performance uplift is massive, especially since I'm running 4k@120Hz. Comparing a 3080 to a 2060s, it was anywhere from 70% to 100% faster at 1440 and 4k, so for you to not feel like a near quadrupling of GPU performance going from 2060s to a 4090 is pretty off tbh.

What CPU and RAM r u running?
4090 is the best thing since sliced bread.
I came from a EK blocked 3080Ti on water and I'm still blown away.
I under clocked it to 65% max power and it still shreds through almost all of my games at 144hz @4k resolution. (Not cyberpunk lol)
After having a 4090 It's actually mind boggling how you don't absolutely love this beast of a card.
It's simply the best.

If you had a 2060S since release, are you also still on that original old system? Because even top-end CPUs from that era (~2019) would definitly be holding back a 4090. I mean, from personal experience, I moved up from a 3080 to a 4090 and the performance uplift is massive, especially since I'm running 4k@120Hz. Comparing a 3080 to a 2060s, it was anywhere from 70% to 100% faster at 1440 and 4k, so for you to not feel like a near quadrupling of GPU performance going from 2060s to a 4090 is pretty off tbh.
There is something to be said about a "well matched system". And that's not necessarily an endorsement for contemporary high end CPUs. Just saying it's thoughtful to be "well matched".

Personally I think spending over $3000 (and yes, usually it would be over $4000) on something that is not going to "keep up with the Jones's" for very long, well, I'd target something with better value (but that's me).

Remember, the vast majority of gamers (it's not even close), game on "poop". Not advocating for a 1650 or whatever, just pointing out, most are "happy" with a whole lot less.

I still use a 24" 1920x1200 monitor. Why? Because it's huge!! I don't care what my neighbors say.

What CPU and RAM r u running?
4090 is the best thing since sliced bread.
I came from a EK blocked 3080Ti on water and I'm still blown away.
I under clocked it to 65% max power and it still shreds through almost all of my games at 144hz @4k resolution. (Not cyberpunk lol)
After having a 4090 It's actually mind boggling how you don't absolutely love this beast of a card.
It's simply the best.

i7 12700k

Two 16 GB sticks ddr4

I’m not trying to be that guy but is this some sort of flex? I’m pretty sure you’ve read reviews and seen comparisons on how the 4090 performs against other cards. There’s no way you went into buying the card blindly.

Upgraded from a EVGA GTX 2060 super so yeah it should be a huge difference. It is but maybe it is because of my lower resolution ? 3440x1440

What do you all think ?

I can keep it but I wish there was a way to compare them side by side somehow. In person.

i7 12700k

Two 16 GB sticks ddr4
Make sure that your RAM is running in dual-channel mode. Make sure you have the latest bios for your mobo, and that you have ResizeBAR enabled. Older bios might not have support for resizeBar.

The other piece of information we need is what LCD are you using? Ideally it should support FreesyncPreemium/G-Sync compatible (minimum, stay away from Freesync 1), and be 144Hz or faster. 3440x1440 is fine. Running 4k would make a more noticeable difference from a 2060S, but really other specs of the monitor are more important. Good adaptive sync, good Hz, HDR, these will make a big difference.

If I had to recommend a high end LCD, it would be the Corsair 45" OLED: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/mon...sh-rate-bendable-gaming-monitor-cm-9030001-na
240Hz! Flicker free. HDR. OLED. Adjustable curvature.

Last edited:
Here comes all the "spend more money" crowd and balance out your system posts. Whatever the OPs motivation I will leave you with this piece of advice. If possible take the card back and just continue to enjoy your older card. Your'e not in any proper mindset to go spend over 1k on a gpu. Perhaps later down the road you might have a clearer idea of what direction you want your pc gaming to go, and if so you'll be able to make a much better decision that ultimately suits your gaming needs, and more importantly it will be better for your wallet. 😉

Last edited:
Here comes all the "spend more money" crowd and balance out your system posts. Whatever the OPs motivation I will leave you with this piece of advice. If possible take the card back and just continue to enjoy your older card. Your'e not in any proper mindset to go spend over 1k on a gpu. Perhaps later down the road you might have a clearer idea of what direction you want your pc gaming to go, and if so you'll be able to make a much better decision that ultimately suits your gaming needs, and more importantly it will be better for your wallet. 😉
But what if his older card isn't playing games well enough? Lag and studders and low frames are not enjoyable. Sometimes it comes to a point where you really want to upgrade the experience. C'mon now were talking about a 2060. I would get rid of that lil ol thing as fast as possible. Heck I need to upgrade my 3070.

But what if his older card isn't playing games well enough? Lag and studders and low frames are not enjoyable. Sometimes it comes to a point where you really want to upgrade the experience. C'mon now were talking about a 2060. I would get rid of that lil ol thing as fast as possible. Heck I need to upgrade my 3070.
Agreed, but obviously the OP is having buyers remorse, so perhaps it would be best to give himself some time to rethink his purchase. Heck, we're talking about a 1k plus gpu plus the inevitable push to upgrade other components from members here.

Agreed, but obviously the OP is having buyers remorse, so perhaps it would be best to give himself some time to rethink his purchase. Heck, we're talking about a 1k plus gpu plus the inevitable push to upgrade other components from members here.

It is not buyer's remorse though. In my opinion.

Oh yeah It's rough. For example first I got my 4k 144hz display, then I needed a HDMI 2.1 card (3080Ti), then it wasn't enough horsepower to push it so I got the 4090, then my CPU and RAM were bottlenecking the 4090 so I got the 13900KS new setup.

Lol so yes it cost about 3.5k dollars to have the system complete. Needless to say I agree with you also lmao

What do you all think ?

If you don't notice a difference from a 2060, there is something wrong with your config. CPU bottlneck, 60hz frame cap, dirty drivers, only old games, etc...

EDIT: OK I see you have a 12700K, not really a bottleneck there at 1440p+, considering everything is essentially a bottleneck for a 4090 under 4k. You should notice marked improvment over the 2060 at max settings, unless capped or hitting engine limits.

Last edited:
I had no intention of buying a 4090 until a friend had to get rid of his MSI 4090 Suprim X. He sold it to me for $1500 brand new/sealed. Helluva good price, but nearly twice what I paid for my EVGA 3080 in September 2020. I'll never use this GPU to its full potential and still can't believe I spent so much $$ on it -- no doubt some buyer's remorse messing with my head. I'm thinking about selling it and getting something like a 7900XT or 4070Ti... or just sticking with my 3080.

Last edited:
I had no intention of buying a 4090 until a friend had to get rid of his MSI 4090 Suprim X. He sold it to me for $1500 brand new/sealed. Helluva good price, but nearly twice what I paid for my EVGA 3080 in September 2020. I'll never use this GPU to its full potential and still can't believe I spent so much $$ on it -- no doubt some buyer's remorse messing with my head. I'm thinking about selling it and getting something like a 7900XT or 4070Ti... or just sticking with my 3080.
That 4090 will last you for many years. I'd consider holding on to it simply for the longevity it will give you.

I think the only way a 4090 isn't impressive (even at 1440p) is if you don't give a damn about framerate. Those people exist. I have oddball friends that can see the difference between 30fps and 120fps...yet they don't seem to really care. If that's you, the 4090 is probably a waste. If not, you probably aren't cranking the details up enough OR your monitor is capped at 60Hz. If it is, it's honestly worth buying a new monitor considering you have a $1500 video card.

If you came from a 2060 and was not amazed by a 4090 I'm not sure what to say. I came from a 3080 Ti which is a beast of a card and I was still amazed by the 4090 lol.

Can you use DLDSR to upsample to the next resolution up from 1440? Turn some extra frames into image quality, so to speak?

Jesus I went from a 3090ti to a 4090 and was impressed. Even at 1440p you can notice a massive difference, what are you playing?

Yep, didn't he only pay $1000 for it? I still am baffled how he doesn't notice anything changed...
I paid $1500, if you're referring to me. Never said I didn't notice any changes or wasn't impressed. Simply mentioned that I'm not ever likely to use the card to its full potential. I'm also still a bit uncomfortable spending so much on a GPU. $1500 is a big chunk of $$ even if it's a lot less than what everyone else paid for their 4090 cards.

I paid $1500, if you're referring to me. Never said I didn't notice any changes or wasn't impressed. Simply mentioned that I'm not ever likely to use the card to its full potential. I'm also still a bit uncomfortable spending so much on a GPU. $1500 is a big chunk of $$ even if it's a lot less than what everyone else paid for their 4090 cards.
I meant the OP.

Oh yeah It's rough. For example first I got my 4k 144hz display, then I needed a HDMI 2.1 card (3080Ti), then it wasn't enough horsepower to push it so I got the 4090, then my CPU and RAM were bottlenecking the 4090 so I got the 13900KS new setup.

Lol so yes it cost about 3.5k dollars to have the system complete. Needless to say I agree with you also lmao
Besides not wanted to spend $1600+ on a graphics card, this is the other thing that would hold me back. My 5900X would 100% bottleneck a 4090. So the daily rig is staying as is until its time to upgrade the whole thing, which I probably won't bother with until at least 50-series and Arrow Lake/Zen 5 come out.

What do you all think ?

You bought the best 4k card out now to play 2k, I suggest you upgrade your monitor to 4k, 4090 at 1440p is way overkill 😂

I say don't pay too much attention to what others think is right for you. You decide if the benefits are even worthwhile and if you have better places to spend the money elsewhere. If one gets enjoyable playing experience with a so-called lesser card, the difference in game play does not seem significant then what is the point in keeping or getting a 4090? 4080? 7900XTX? and so on? Anyways, OP, you decide.

Something to think about... I own a RX 5700 XT. For geometric mean benchmarks, 1080p Ultra, it's 48.3% of the performance of a 4090. You can get the RX 5700 XT used for about USD $100 (I paid $150 many months ago, shipped). At 1080p Medium, it's 65.9% of a 4090. 37.1% of a 4090 at 1440p Ultra. People talk about price to performance and often times compare things that are not too distant, but the problem actually can get quite a bit worse with distance.
The problem is that the cost of performance has never been linear. You can't expect a RTX 4090 to cost $200 just because some 5700 XT costs $100 used. Nor are these comparable metrics.

Last edited:
The problem is that the cost of performance has never been linear. You can't expect a RTX 4090 to cost $200 just because some used 5700 XT costs $100 used. Nor are these comparable metrics.
Not to mention a 4090 is a heck of a lot more than twice as fast as a 5700xt :ROFLMAO:. Price performance as you said is never linear.

3440x1440
That 2.4 time the amount of non ultra widescreen 16:9 1080p or 60% of 4K.

Should be more than enough even if it is not a high fps models if you play really hard to run games.

If you are not blown away with the games you like the play and do not mind reselling (or if the return window is available) would be a good move, you can wait and probably always wait for your system to struggle on a new game (or new monitor) to update it, by then something better for the price should exist.

1500/365 is $4.11 USD a day, hell I spent $8 at Jack in the Box and didn't dent my budget.

All my purchases are rationalized by the cost per day to own spread over the warranty period. If I can put the daily amount away in savings or in a money jar on desk, it is budgeable.

1500/365 is $4.11 USD a day, hell I spent $8 at Jack in the Box and didn't dent my budget.

All my purchases are rationalized by the cost per day to own spread over the warranty period. If I can put the daily amount away in savings or in a money jar on desk, it is budgeable.
To some, the high upfront cost is money that could better put elsewhere. It's very reasonable for many to be apprehensive about dropping 4 figures on a gpu. If OP feels that money is better put elsewhere, it's probably for a reason.

The problem is that the cost of performance has never been linear. You can't expect a RTX 4090 to cost $200 just because some 5700 XT costs $100 used. Nor are these comparable metrics.
My point is that reviewers ARE using that style of comparison. I was trying to point out how "distant" it becomes if you go back further. It makes the "value" of new even worse.

Back