Try this!

y3k

Weaksauce
Get two large packs of silica gel, credit card sized, and put on at the back of the case floor and one on top of a hard drive or at the front of the case. These things absorb moisture in the air so I guess they'll help do something to the computer. Not sure, but I know moisture is bad or a PC and those things absorb it. I've been using them for a while, I swap them out for new packs every few weeks.

Is this good? If so, try it.

..Why would you have moisture in your PC in the first place?

I usually sit with the side off my case, Thats alot of space for moisture to get in.. Yet its always been bone dry :confused:

Get two large packs of silica gel, credit card sized, and put on at the back of the case floor and one on top of a hard drive or at the front of the case. These things absorb moisture in the air so I guess they'll help do something to the computer. Not sure, but I know moisture is bad or a PC and those things absorb it. I've been using them for a while, I swap them out for new packs every few weeks.

Is this good? If so, try it.

Hahaha. Moisture isn't bad for the PC at all... Moisture in the air is almost completely unconductive :eek:

Condensation (which doesn't exist unless your going sub-ambient with your CPU) can be a problem... but, I'm pretty sure you're staying above 10c or so.

Moisture? Hell i would imagine if anything most computer cases are too damned dry with all of the dust circulating.

This is almost as good as PCI dehumidifiers. Despite your good intentions, i'm afraid that moisture isn't really a problem in your average computer.

This is almost as good as PCI dehumidifiers. Despite your good intentions, i'm afraid that moisture isn't really a problem in your average computer.
Or even your overclocked monster, assuming you're not using liquid nitrogen or otherwise cooling your CPU below the dew point.

low humidity actually allows static to build up....

Static = bad

Why do you think most of us have hygrometers in our server rooms.

Ah I better go get those packs of silica out of my case then. Would the packs be useful for a super cooled rig that has alot of moisture present in the case?

I have a Chenbro Gaming Bomb Spider case, btw.

Ah I better go get those packs of silica out of my case then. Would the packs be useful for a super cooled rig that has alot of moisture present in the case?

I have a Chenbro Gaming Bomb Spider case, btw.

Nope, compys that are cooling below ambient temperature are either A) not in a case, i.e. on a test bench, so the packs would have to absorb all the moisture in the room, faster than said moisture could condense on motherboard, or B) have fans in the case continually circulating air through their cases which will pump moist air into the case, which would force those packs to absorb faster than the condensation forms. I doubt they would make any noticable difference.

Why do you ask about putting them in a super cooled rig? Do you have a ton of them sitting around? Does a friend have a super cooled rig with condensation problems?

I was considering getting water cooling for my Pentium 4 and when I get a core 2 duo put the cooling on that. I had alot of silica packs hanging around so I figured maybe it'd absorb any moisture in my case because I keep my computer near by window in my room and it has been raining alot recently here. Not that any rain actually gets ON the case, I just thought the moisture in the air might do some damage.

Back