TrueNAS Core or TrueNAS Scale, which should I go with?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I have one TrueNas box running Core and I'm putting together another and need to decide if maybe scale would be a better choice. As i understand it, Core is kinda sucky when it comes to Jails and addins whereas Core isn't. At this point I really don't use the OS for anything other than a NAS but that could change. I'm familiar with Core as I've been using it for years. I have no experience with Scale so I don't know what sort of problems I might run into.

Thought I'd ask here first since the people over at the TrueNAS forum are mean as hell. :p

AFAICT other than a few feature differences Core and Scale are essentially identical on the surface (GUI, app-specific CLI, etc.) and performance is similar.

My gut feeling is that Scale is the future, but Core isn't going anywhere any time soon. I think they want Linux so they can do more with containers, distributed storage, etc. that has better support on that OS. Bu the BSD-based systems are pretty entrenched. If I were building a new system I'd go Scale (I've been sitting on migrating my own box for months now).

Didn't they finally punt that one guy from their forums who was making it really hostile?

AFAICT other than a few feature differences Core and Scale are essentially identical on the surface (GUI, app-specific CLI, etc.) and performance is similar.

My gut feeling is that Scale is the future, but Core isn't going anywhere any time soon. I think they want Linux so they can do more with containers, distributed storage, etc. that has better support on that OS. Bu the BSD-based systems are pretty entrenched. If I were building a new system I'd go Scale (I've been sitting on migrating my own box for months now).

Didn't they finally punt that one guy from their forums who was making it really hostile?

I've decided to go with Scale. That way I can do a one to one comparison and can always switch to Core if need be.
I've been a member of the TrueNAS forum for years but have posted very little because of the belligerent posters who, rather than try to be helpful, belittle posters who seek help. I saw this from the very beginning and have used to forum mainly for educational purposes rather than to seek help. It's been going on for a long time, if they did put an end to it they waited too long as far as I'm concerned. The internet is full of assholes but rarely are they concentrated like the were/are at that forum.

I personally prefer the following setup:

ProxMox + Linux Containers for Sonarr,radarr, plex etc... and then a Virtual TrueNas Core handling just storage. I got tired of shit breaking due to random changes in Scale or Core IE True charts. I just pass my HBA directly to the VM of Core and everything has been super stable and much more consistent performance.

I need to look at ProxMox. I've always avoided hypervisors due to the added complexity plus, my experience with Hyper-V has been dismal (it sucks really really bad).

One quick question, how is video performance with ProxMox?

I need to look at ProxMox. I've always avoided hypervisors due to the added complexity plus, my experience with Hyper-V has been dismal (it sucks really really bad).

One quick question, how is video performance with ProxMox?
pretty solid. you can pass through gpus pretty easy to dedicated VMs and get very close to bare metal performance.

Last edited:
Proxmox is a very good platform. My only problem with it is that they continue to ignore OCI (Docker/Podman) type containers in favor of LXC.

Well I finally got Scale up and running but it was no walk in the park. Had a shitpot load of network and security issues to deal with. Why lord why does TrueNAS have to be so damned user unfriendly? On second thought, it's just like it's support forum. :p

Back