Trouble With Q6600

Limp Gawd
I've dabbled with overclocking over the years, but I have never left a component overclocked and ran with it a long time. I'm having a problem overclocking my Q6600. It must be trivial for others. CPUID says my stepping is B and my revision is G. Idle temps are about 30°C and load 42°.

My goal is 3.0GHz. When I set the multiplier to 333, Windows locked up during logon. All other Intelligent Tweaker settings are set to default / stock speeds. I have a Gigabyte mobo.

What should I try?

Check your memory divider and make sure your ram is running at it's rated speed. Or, you can increase the voltage to the ram and loosen the timings.

I have a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L MB and it does not go above 333 FSB. It's a mATX and cheap, and my guess is that Gigabyte locked it from going higher since 334 isn't stable even if I pump .2 volts more into everything. My Q6600 folds at 38C.

Edit: oh, you said to 333. Trying setting the memory multiplier to the lowest one available (2:3?)

It is working now. The things I did differently this time was changed my memory from auto to 2.4 and my PCI-E from auto to 100. I'll have to run Prime95 overnight I guess to see if it's stable. I did not change my CPU voltage. That is still on auto.

My idle, more like low usage, temperature is about 36° in my hottest core now. That's an increase of about 4°. We'll see how hot it gets with Bad Company 2 and Prime95... and if my system locks up. :p

Back