Tribes Ascend now live

I agree with evan, but I can see how it would be good in pubs to have more explosive fire power in certain situations. But most of the time you are never going to hit those far off targets with either, the AR can kill at much longer range, and more consistently in the air.

I think you both are gimping yourself by using both. I laugh whenever I see soldiers running around with spin + thump, as I slowly tear them down with the AR.

The utility of AR + thump is vastly superior to spinfuse + thump. I get slayer almost every game. Often Im pushing 40 kills or above. I just dont understand why anyone would use thumper and fuser, it makes no sense to me.

I kind of enjoy the challenge. I played too much Tech and DMB with the SMG/Chain and it's kinda lame at times how easy you can tear apart people that aren't using one like you. I like dueling other people with disks/thumper, more rewarding. Most people are terrible with rifles anyways, I'm amazed at how I can survive 1 on 1's against DMBs. I usually win every duel if I'm at full health with DMB, 100dmg per shot, no reloading, 380 rounds... how could you lose? The only downside is accuracy at range goes out the window, and maybe a slight spin-up. I've gone 58/1 with DMB, just gets ridiculous at times :p If they had an accolade for 50 kills without deaths I would have gotten it that round, I died at the very end flag chasing (as DMB wat).

Lol, I love dmb, that gun and superheavy is just too much fun. i always get called a cheater by guys who fly in at 110 and cant figure out how easy it is to lsnd every bullet. The hitmarker sound is so satisfying against other heavies. Click Click Click Click Click x20

My favorite part of the game so far is that the anti-cheat appears to be fairly effective. At the very least, there are no public paid hacks available - maybe private ones are out there, but they are kept pretty quiet (ie. not many people have them) or they get fixed quickly.

Two of the biggest 'aimbot' makers out there (who usually have working aimbots on day 1) still haven't made anything for it. One claims 'there isn't a market for it' (lol) and the other just straight up admits it's too much work.

This makes me very happy. :D Not only because there are very few people cheating in the game, but it's also relatively rare (when comparing with other FPS) to be called a hacker for landing a few good hits.

My least favorite part is that as you get to higher levels of play, the base becomes less important to defend. I miss the generator fights, etc. At higher levels it's much more MORTAR FLAG MORTAR FLAG MORTAR FLAG SKI IN AT 120+ CAP CAP CAP MORTAR FLAG MORTAR FLAG MORTAR LAG SKI IN... etc. I prefer slightly more tactical games.

I have seen a few bots in the low level games. You'll see them standing in a field shooting at nothing randomly...slowly making their way to the edge of the map. One of them was named "Wendyhappy" or "happy wendy" something like that. I just walked up behind it and knifed it to death everytime I saw it.

I have seen a few bots in the low level games. You'll see them standing in a field shooting at nothing randomly...slowly making their way to the edge of the map. One of them was named "Wendyhappy" or "happy wendy" something like that. I just walked up behind it and knifed it to death everytime I saw it.

Those are probably referral bots to get level 6 and get the host account a bonus. I'd rather deal with them (and then no more when you stop getting matched with level 5's and lower) than aimbots.

I suck at it, but the game is a lot of fun. I ended up buying some gold, just to give the developers some support. Well, that and I suck so bad that I'm able to get some help with unlocks that way, since you get double XP plus boost that way... :D

Fair enough, but its still incredibly irritating having your generator constantly raped by cloakers. It would be one thing if there was only one entry into a base, but more often than not there are three, making it impossible to defend against cloakers constantly sneaking through.

Motion sensors are helpful but they are so damn expensive that barely anyone has them apart from those who are paying for gold. So far the only time I have seen a team effectively defend against them is during one match today when myself, 2 other technicians and a heavy unit played generator defense the entire match and constantly deployed turrets and motion sensors.

Personally I think the game would be much better and fun without cloaking.
Cloakers can be annoying, but they are part of what makes the game so diverse. I don't think they get a lot of use in competition since TA is still all about the flag and you can do ok without a functioning gen on most maps.

Here are a some more ways to deal with them. In small gen areas (which is most of them) a beefed up Jug with Egocentric can basically spam the entire interior with mortars. Lights can barely get their foot in the door. Doesn't take a lot of skill, but one Jug can keep the base clear fairly easily (until some heavies show up).

If cloakers are getting too annoying I spawn as a raider with a jammer pack and head to the gen room. Any jugs, techs, or turrets will light up the decloaked infiltrators in seconds.

Also, it's great when sentinels drop their jammers by the entrances to the gen rooms - even better when they are in an inconspicuous spot so they don't have to be replaced very often (like the upper ledge in the raindance gen room).

I just started playing a couple days ago and am really enjoying it. I have only used the Juggernaut and love taking out 2 or 3 people with the mortar. I got the $9.99 gold pack just to get the exp bonus and it really helps.

Anyone know what I should spend the 800 gold on?

Watch your deal of the day and wait, everything I wrote before is now out the window. The best way to get a good deal is on the deal of the day, wait for 60 - 75% off a weapons worth 100k that is good and buy that.

If you are playing alot you can buy I think a 10 day boost and try to earn more XP.

Specifically the X1 LMG is really good for the jug.

Yeah Deals of the day are not always deals, anything less than 50% off is a joke since stuff is already too expensive.

Also the weapon packs aren't too bad since you end up with 3 weapons for 800 gold all for one class. Right now it's only Raider, they took down the infiltrator weapon pack.

I'd suggest not spending it because I am betting Tribes will dump out some free gold codes at some point, they had one on Facebook for 250........but they want to generate interest in gold so they will give out some eventually.

I'm saving up 100,000 for the Plasma rifle, it's been going pretty fast without any boosters... Maybe 10 hours for 50,000xp...

I'm not going to spend any money on this though, I hate free2play. I'd rather just spend $50 for a full game and be done. Open up the servers / mods / maps to the community and they'll take care of the rest if the game is good enough.

Went back to AR + Grenade as primary and had some good games. Them well placed Orbitals help, I was able to stack 3 orbitals on top of their base when it was tied 4v4 and got lots of kills / saved the flag for a short while. We still lost. Also my game's graphics completely explode if I alt-tab, they fix themselves after about 30 seconds but that's what you see in one of these screenshots.

I gave this a try back in Beta, played Team Deathmatch, and came away unimpressed. I uninstalled it and forgot about it. A friend of mine was talking about how great CTF is so I figured that I'd give it another go. This is the first multiplayer FPS that I've enjoyed in a long time. FPSes have bored me ever since they went "slow". Tribes reminds me of the FPSes that I used to love (Quake, UT, Tribes obviously) and it feels modern at the same time.

I'm still rusty from lack of practice but I'm finding that the gameplay is getting more and more fun as I get better. I'm starting to get skiing figured out and am now loving the high-speed canyon chases. Gliding through the canyons at high-speed, jetpacking up the side of one hill, peppering the flag carrier with sticky grenades, returning the flag, and nailing the descent of the next hill is a rush.

The only thing that bothers me about the game is that I feel like I ought to be able to spend $40-$50 and have access to all of the classes and weapons that are available now and in the future. They could still charge for skins and xp boosts and people that didn't want to spend that much could still buy $10 gold packs.

Just an update on the costs, now they have daily deals on gold, and these give you alot better value, those of us who bought in early are a bit screwed but if you buy gold now, you should just hang tight and wait for 60% off big weapons and will eventually build up your inventory very nicely in addition to all the unlocking you will do with XP you earn. Something like a 60 day booster plus oppertunistic buying will work out better than the strategy I outlined before.

Anyone just starting, keep playing until you start playing against the higher levels, it gets very frustrating at times. I definitely feel their is some pay-to-win with the secondary primary weapons. Though I have found the standard fusion mortar to be really fun when I get home flag bombarding right. Watching a scout come flying in just to get blown to pieces is awesome, especially with the level that has the shield around the flags.

Anyone just starting, keep playing until you start playing against the higher levels, it gets very frustrating at times. I definitely feel their is some pay-to-win with the secondary primary weapons. Though I have found the standard fusion mortar to be really fun when I get home flag bombarding right. Watching a scout come flying in just to get blown to pieces is awesome, especially with the level that has the shield around the flags.

The fusion mortar is great, I use it on probably half the maps and the MIRV on the rest.

Brute pack will be coming out soon, they had a video released on the 3 weapons.....and they patch on Tuesday. So either this week or the next on new brute weapons...First one is a sticky that will explode on contact and puts out 3 waves of damage. Second is a heavy version of the raider plasma gun which Im sure will be OP as hell and I think it's a SECONDARY....it's going to be obscene if it's as imbalanced as the raider's was on release.

And third is not a grenade but a pack, utility pack based on soldier utility which should serve the brute pretty well considering it boosts a bunch of stuff with one pack.

What I saw popping up was only 575 for a direct hit, so it's not much more powerful than the Raider if that still does 500.

I still do fine with the basic AR and Nade launcher. You can take on pretty much any class in that and win in an open field. But I am looking forward to checking out the Raider's plasma gun, at like 85k xp now. That + SMG would be pretty sweet.

I have revised my opinion on this game being pay-to-win, it is. I am really sick of getting the crapped kicked out of me by weapons which cost 100k exp, or 800 gold. You pretty much have no chance using a standard weapon. I get the feeling this is exactly what the developer was counting on and I personally think it is going to help kill this game off pretty fast.

What I saw popping up was only 575 for a direct hit, so it's not much more powerful than the Raider if that still does 500.

I still do fine with the basic AR and Nade launcher. You can take on pretty much any class in that and win in an open field. But I am looking forward to checking out the Raider's plasma gun, at like 85k xp now. That + SMG would be pretty sweet.

How were you able to try it? And I thought about it a bit and realized you meant the damage from the videos. Still the video for plasma gun on raider didn't look OP but it's hitbox was huge, it was hard to miss if you shot in the general direction of the enemy and were fairly close.

Last edited:
I have revised my opinion on this game being pay-to-win, it is. I am really sick of getting the crapped kicked out of me by weapons which cost 100k exp, or 800 gold. You pretty much have no chance using a standard weapon. I get the feeling this is exactly what the developer was counting on and I personally think it is going to help kill this game off pretty fast.
Several classes don't need any gold at all to be uber competitive (Jug, soldier, and path come to mind). The only classes that periodically annoy me with their upgraded weapons are the raider and the inf. But it's not a big deal because I know how to deal with them.

If it's a big deal to you, spend $10 on the game. You'll get 800 gold, which is enough to get that weapon you're dreaming of. Get the free 250 gold from facebook. That'll buy you a light bolt launcher or a bunch of deal of the day items. Plus you'll get the permanent VIP XP boost to rapidly upgrade your stuff. It's a steal to play a game of this caliber for only $10.

Well, so much for the Staying Alive update. The Gladiator is pathetic and the Plasma Cannon, while nice for indoor combat, still doesn't do anything to address Brute's problems with getting shredded by automatics.

The Survival Pack is nice, though. It basically gives you the movement and regeneration of a medium class. If the Nova Colt wasn't such a bear to use, Brute might not be bad as a heavy dueling class.

Just got this email (I'm sure you all did too): Double XP this weekend from Friday 10:00 Eastern to Tuesday 10:00 am eastern.

So I think I'll get at least 3600 / day for my first win of the day for 4 days (1200 FWOTD * 1.5 VIP * 2). That's over 14000 XP. Sometimes it takes less than 10 minutes to get my FWOTD.

Several classes don't need any gold at all to be uber competitive (Jug, soldier, and path come to mind). The only classes that periodically annoy me with their upgraded weapons are the raider and the inf. But it's not a big deal because I know how to deal with them.

If it's a big deal to you, spend $10 on the game. You'll get 800 gold, which is enough to get that weapon you're dreaming of. Get the free 250 gold from facebook. That'll buy you a light bolt launcher or a bunch of deal of the day items. Plus you'll get the permanent VIP XP boost to rapidly upgrade your stuff. It's a steal to play a game of this caliber for only $10.

I bought the $10 pack and did the facebook thing the first day I played. I spent the 250g on a exp booster and ended up getting around 50-60k exp, realize i should of just waited for a daily deal. I am saving the 800 gold for awesome daily deals.

Edit: Even with it being somewhat pay-to-win, I am still playing, it really is a fun game when you aren't getting the crap kicked out of you by certain players.

Yeah Im a little pissed off at this update and the fact that they did it AFTER the big xp bonus weekend....since I could have saved a significant portion of XP not upgrading lots of things and spent it on weapon purchases.

Ya one of us should have came in here, they alerted people a bit ago that they would do this and mentioned people should save XP.

HiRez posted about the change on their forums about a week before it went live. But the word didnt make it over here.

Well I am hoping enough people make a stink that they consider refunding XP from weapon upgrades or doing some double XP events.

If this is a one time thing where they don't change mechanics and make all your efforts prior less meaningful, then I'd be OK. But I have a feeling it won't be, because they will continue to have to lower prices and modify mechanics to pick up and keep more people....and all the while they'll be pumping out more weapons. New player is going to find that it's even more overwhelming now than it was before due to weapon selection....they'll have to do something.

why did they make tribes pay to become godlike...the original STARSIEGE TRIBES game was based on SKILLS not buying shit so u can become good..I cannot stand this trend that PC gaming is going in...It is a terrible idea. PC gaming was meant for pure skills & not pay 40 bux to have the best weapons so u can own everyone garbage.

why did they make tribes pay to become godlike...the original STARSIEGE TRIBES game was based on SKILLS not buying shit so u can become good..I cannot stand this trend that PC gaming is going in...It is a terrible idea. PC gaming was meant for pure skills & not pay 40 bux to have the best weapons so u can own everyone garbage.

I haven't payed anything (Although I feel I should pay something to support the dev team, i play a lot), and I can still destroy most people. Skill trumps equipment almost every time in this game. You miss that 1 shot, or use up your energy too fast, the other guy will kill you every time (If he is skilled). So you can cry about it being pay2win all you want, but that is just an excuse for suckin ass. Seriously.

I haven't payed anything (Although I feel I should pay something to support the dev team, i play a lot), and I can still destroy most people. Skill trumps equipment almost every time in this game. You miss that 1 shot, or use up your energy too fast, the other guy will kill you every time (If he is skilled). So you can cry about it being pay2win all you want, but that is just an excuse for suckin ass. Seriously.

Except the infiltrator gun that fires 3 explosives, that gun is as OP as they come.

They did...

Perhaps I should give the launcher a harder look because I never saw anything that said "save your xp! big patch coming that changes how xp works!"

I am still having fun with the game, play a round or two a every other night or so. I love finding spots to place my two light turrets that no one else does, gotten some really good kills just from people trying to nail down my turrets location.

Just thought I would post, Steam has a 50% off sale on a Tribes Ascend "Steam Starter Pack"

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17095/?snr=1_4_4__112

You get:

Lifetime VIP Membership: Earn 50% more XP in every match you play.

800 Tribes Gold: Customize your experience in Tribes with 800 Tribes Gold. Buy cosmetic skins, additional weapons, experience boosts, and more!

4 Bonus Weapons: Enhance your Tribes base classes with the Soldier's Spinfusor, Pathfinder's Thrust Pack, Pathfinder's Light Assault Rifle, and Juggernaut's MIRV Launcher.

Infiltrator Class: With stealth capabilities and heavy explosives, the Infiltrator can devastate an enemy defense. This class comes with the Rhino SMG, SN7 Silenced Pistol, Heavy Explosive Sticky Grenades, and Stealth Pack.

Technician Class: The Technician is built for defense and repair, keeping base structures online and functional, and deploying Turrets to bolster defenses. This class comes with the TCN4 SMG, Enhanced Repair Tool, TCNG Grenade, and Light Turret deployable.

Four Perks: Bounty Hunter increases credits for every kill you make. Reach allows you to grab the flag from farther away. Quickdraw lets you switch weapons faster. Ultra Capacity II gives extra energy for your jetpack.

All for $9.99 currently. Seems like a decent deal if you were thinking about getting into the game. Though it makes me wonder why such a steep discount...is the game doing well?

Except the infiltrator gun that fires 3 explosives, that gun is as OP as they come.

The best way to combat the Jackal is... Don't stand still, because if you stand still, I guarantee I will stick 3 grenades to your heart and if you're heavy, I'll put a sticky on your forehead. Insta-gibbed sir.

This is not that steep of a discount. The game has lots of players at any time, no clue how many are paying though. This is really nice because it gives the game exposure to the steam community which was lacking before. You could always buy 800 gold for $10 from hirez all the way back into beta. The main difference is that this package throws in a hand full of unlocks for free. Most of them are cheap, if you wanted to buy the $10 package it is now better to get it on steam. However larger packages with more value are still only available through HiRez

Back