Traveling with a watercooled system

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anybody actually flown with a watercooled system in tow yet?

I will be boarding a plane next week for home from the Middle East and will be carrying my SG-01e over my shoulder as a carry on. I haven't had any problems before as it is a perfect fit for the overhead bins but now my system is watercooled.

I am concerned about airport security (with the liquid restrictions) and the air pressure change. Should I just be safe and drain the system prior to boarding? If so, I hope they don't expect me to power it up as proof it is a computer since there will be no cooling.

Any recommendations?

Of course you drain the loop yourself, or Airport Security will drain it for you...

I'd put the stock fan back on the IHS, they will probably want you to power up the system...

You will have to drain the loop, no question especially when you consider the 30,000ft elevation and your water freezing while in flight. :) Not to mention that airport security might mistaken it for something else. The same folks that thought bottled water might carry explosives see a computer on water might cause some flight delays.

+4 draining the loop. if you were just driving somewhere you would be fine, but its not worth the hassle of airport security.

as for powering it up, they dont really mind it, i ahve traveled a few times w/ my laptop and i never needed to show it to any security peoples..

Drain the loop for sure.

As for needing to power it up. I've never had to power my system up before just remove the case side once. But if they made you power it up I doubt there would be an issue. The water blocks themselves should take the heat long enough to prove it's a computer.

Drain it. Due to the liquid rule thing. +6

When I've brought my PC going to Boston from Chicago twice, (mix tower case on a small ass plane with only 2 seats on 1 column and 1 seat on the other column) the just put it through the x-ray and that was about it. But you are traveling internationally.. so just be prepared for anything and get there early :)

Don't drain the loop. I am sure you will have a epic story for us to hear!

I do it a twice a year flying from school to home, no biggie so far. Then again I'm flying domestic, but the airport security people do tend to give me weird looks after they ask me to open up my bag. Haven't been asked to power it up either,

Same setup as you, SG01 with the bag onboard, but my water setup is external.

Why would you consider not draining it? it makes it exponentially heavier :p

I'd drain the loop and then add material inside the case to prevent video cards and what not from moving around.

Ok, thanks for the input. I'll be draining it.

You will have to drain the loop, no question especially when you consider the 30,000ft elevation and your water freezing while in flight.

It'll be in the cabin with me. If it freezes thats going to be one miserable flight.

If they want me to power it up I guess I'll have to insist on putting water in it. But like I said, they haven't asked me to yet.

there should be no problems booting the system for 10-30 seconds they need to check it is a computer.... also, use some non conductive packaging material to ensure the components do not move around

also, if you have any "quick latch" or "easy latch" hard drive or video cards, get out the good old screwdriver, you do NOT want them moving around during flight.

Also, consider taking your video cards out of your computer if possible, so they can't be bent or shaken or anything

Back