Touchpads

cvgd

Limp Gawd
I've been looking for multi-touch-pads for Windows 8. I just ordered the Logitech T650 last night, but don't expect to receive it until after Sandy blows through. I'll post my thoughts after I receive it. I bought it blind, as there don't appear to be any decent reviews, and I use a Logitech trackball so will be able to use the same receiver.

I'll try to keep a running tally of other options here.

I'm using the T650.

I like the wireless feature more than I thought I would. And the "scroll with inertia" and "smooth scrolling" make for an excellent experience. Especially if you have a big display. The unit has a smooth glass surface that is very sensitive with good response. Most of the time you simply need to lightly tap the surface to do things like navigate links, but there are also left and right buttons that can be physically clicked by pressing down with more force.

It's very comfortable to use, and makes the Metro interface quick and easy to use. For browsing and general desktop use I prefer it to a mouse.

I have the T650 also and it's pretty good. The only issue I'm having with it is click drag selecting, not particularly comfortable. But the gestures are neat for navigating Windows 8. But I don't really see it replacing a mouse for me.

The T650 arrived this afternoon. I was surprised that UPS made it through the downed trees, fallen wires, and closed roads. I have the trackpad hooked up to my W7 workstation at the moment. I'm impressed. The install was painless, and it's an elegant looking, well-functioning piece of hardware, even in the relatively limited W7 gesture environment.

I have trouble accurately right clicking; I have trouble with left-click and drag, and I have trouble with the transition from three-finger to two finger gestures. My muscle memory is totally off, but it's still quite early. I'll three finger swipe to move back, then three finger swipe to scroll down, which rather than scrolling down, minimizes all of my windows.

The physical click on the T650 is difficult to do, it requires a good bit of pressure and physical clicking while dragging is just hard to do. I also have the T620 mouse and in my opinion the Microsoft Touch Mouse that's almost two years old with the Windows 8 drivers is a much better touch product with Windows 8 at least than these two Logitech devices.

Back