Toshiba MD04ACA400 - Good or bad for zfs?

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
Had another 3TB Seagate crap out on me in my array and need to get it replaced. Really don't want to sit around waiting on a sale with my array degraded. It looks like Microcenter has the MD04ACA400 drives for $109. Trying to keep it as close to $100 as possible.

Anyone have any experience with this model? Reviews seem to be far and few. The other drives in the array are all Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 drives except for one new HGST Coolspin. The array is being used for media/file storage only at this point. I'm kicking myself for missing the Fry's sale 2 weeks ago on those as I would have picked up another at $99.

is it retail or bare drive? i dont know about mciroccenter but newegg bare drives DOA/early death like mad. Go with retail in my eyes.

I dont know how these due in hardware RAID but these are great drives and much cheaper.
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...X&ved=0ahUKEwj53vDo3NrKAhWGyyYKHcpyAnoQviQIew

these were going for 70-80 on sales but have been repackaged as P300 or something and are more expensive and shorter warranty for the exact same drive -_-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9633&cm_re=toshiba_3tb-_-22-149-633-_-Product

BTW those drives you listed are good but get retail version if possible or whatever is packaged well. I just know newegg bare drives die and its all due to packaging and shipping.

Experience with MD04ACA600 (6TB) in a hardware RAID-6: no issues, passed multiple badblocks stress-tests, do get slightly warm though (expected for 7200rpm). Support CCTL/TLER Pulled from 6TB externals.

Experience with MD04ABA300 kept as a spare and tested from time to time -- it's a rebadged 5K3000 Coolspin, only good things to say.

Here's s full SMART dump of one of the 6TBs.

I'd also recommend getting external/retail or from someplace other than Newegg.

Experience with MD04ACA600 (6TB) in a hardware RAID-6: no issues, passed multiple badblocks stress-tests, do get slightly warm though (expected for 7200rpm). Support CCTL/TLER Pulled from 6TB externals.

Experience with MD04ABA300 kept as a spare and tested from time to time -- it's a rebadged 5K3000 Coolspin, only good things to say.

Here's s full SMART dump of one of the 6TBs.

I'd also recommend getting external/retail or from someplace other than Newegg.

cool nice info!

Yeah, I think they are bare drives but I would be purchasing them at the store, not online since we have a Microcenter here.

Unfortunately, I've been burned with the "buy external, pull and use internally" process... or maybe it's just Seagate clouding my judgement :p At least for now it is internal drive purchases only for me.

Thanks for the drive links.. I guess I wasn't being clear that I'm trying to step up to 4TB drives in this process also. The one Coolspin I'm currently running is a 4TB that replaced another failed 3TB Seagate. 5-6 TB drives would be cool.. but with 5 drives that need to be replaced, trying to stick around $100 each is going to be rough enough on the pocket book.

I don't know.. maybe I'll just take the risk and wait for something to go on sale. Really want more of the coolspin 4TB drives, but not willing to pay the default price. I've got all the data replicated to a HP Microserver, and all critical data replaced again to both a Drobo and Crashplan.. so I've got backups of my backups at this point ;)

Those Toshiba HDD will work fine using ZFS, doesn't matter if you use Intel, ASMedia or LSI controllers or HBAs.

Back