Toronto Tries Banning Pedestrians From Using Mobile Devices While Crossing The Street

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Ontario’s Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca already shot this down, but do you think fining pedestrians is a logical step toward safeguarding people from their own stupidity? (Actually, I just found that I posted a similar story originating from the States some months back, so I guess this sort of legislation will actually pass sometime, somewhere.)

Councillor Frances Nunziata put forward a motion to ask the province to ban anyone walking within the “travelled portion” of the city, that is its crosswalks, from using their smartphone. This was later changed to all mobile devices, leading the motion to pass with 26-15 votes in favour and with support from Mayor John Tory. Section 7 of the minutes states, “That City Council request the Minister of Transportation to consider making a regulation under Section 185(1) of the Highway Traffic Act prohibiting pedestrians from actively using a handheld wireless communication device or handheld electronic entertainment device while using on any travelled portion of a roadway.”

What Del Duca thinks is irrelevant. Toronto has the right to implement laws as necessary for the protection of citizens.

Why?

Because it's an issue in 20% of pedestrian deaths.

In a review of pedestrian fatalities in 2010, the Office of the Chief Coroner for Ontario found that 20 per cent of the pedestrians involved were distracted by means such as using a cell phone; MP3 player; a mobile device; pushing a shopping cart; walking a dog; or riding a skateboard." http://www.neinstein.com/distracted-pedestrians-becoming-safety-issue/

Ya, this got put down really quickly.

The late Rob Ford was famous for his rants about a supposed war on cars (and smoking crack) and did everything in his power to ensure that cars have the right of way in nearly ever instance. He tore up bike lanes, put in place signs forcing pedestrians to yield to traffic in his endless effort to be the most ridiculous and embarrassing mayor that ever existed.

What Del Duca thinks is irrelevant. Toronto has the right to implement laws as necessary for the protection of citizens.

Why?

In a review of pedestrian fatalities in 2010, the Office of the Chief Coroner for Ontario found that 20 per cent of the pedestrians involved were distracted by means such as using a cell phone; MP3 player; a mobile device; pushing a shopping cart; walking a dog; or riding a skateboard." http://www.neinstein.com/distracted-pedestrians-becoming-safety-issue/

You can't legislate away stupid. Besides, nobody would obey the law anymore than they do the new law that prevents cars from entering crosswalks while a pedestrian is also using the crossing (even when it's completely safe). Just another pointless law that will never be enforced.

Also, this report points out 6-7 issues, whereas this legislation would only address the 'using a mobile device' section.

Ya, this got put down really quickly.

The late Rob Ford was famous for his rants about a supposed war on cars (and smoking crack) and did everything in his power to ensure that cars have the right of way in nearly ever instance. He tore up bike lanes, put in place signs forcing pedestrians to yield to traffic in his endless effort to be the most ridiculous and embarrassing mayor that ever existed.

I've lived in the GTA all my life and I've never seen this, and that's contrary to provincial law, so I'd love to see some evidence that this ever existed aside from signage discouraging pedestrians from crossing the road where there is no crosswalk, which is actually illegal anyway. Either way, driving around Toronto can be an absolute gongshow because people step right into traffic without even bothering to do the whole "look both ways" thing we all learned when we were 3 years old. Just last week I had a dude crossing on a red light, right in front of my car, when I had the right of way and he was completely oblivious of anything going on around him until I was forced to lay on my horn. Perhaps it's a city that needs something like this.

Untitled.png AdXQ3pO.jpg
I've lived in the GTA all my life and I've never seen this, and that's contrary to provincial law, so I'd love to see some evidence that this ever existed aside from signage discouraging pedestrians from crossing the road where there is no crosswalk, which is actually illegal anyway. Either way, driving around Toronto can be an absolute gongshow because people step right into traffic without even bothering to do the whole "look both ways" thing we all learned when we were 3 years old. Just last week I had a dude crossing on a red light, right in front of my car, when I had the right of way and he was completely oblivious of anything going on around him until I was forced to lay on my horn. Perhaps it's a city that needs something like this.

Here is one of the many 'Pedestrian's wait for gap signs' that can be found all over the city. I can post more if you'd like. When there is traffic, it's literally impossible to safely cross at these points.

Also: Ford says ending the 'war on cars' a top priority

ALSO: They've eliminated a number of crosswalks near my house such that I have to cross 5 intersections (about 10-12 minutes) just to get to Queen's Quay from Fort York (along Spadina).

TLDR: This city hates pedestrians.

Last edited:

I think that's more serious than the law itself. 20% is insane. Says a lot about people, and I'm certain it's not isolated to Toronto. You can't fix stupid, but many times when shit gets out of control and people can't control themselves, a law does need made. Will it help? Doubtful. But at least the city can profit off of stupid people. :)

I don't think there needs to be a law. However, I don't think it should have gotten this bad to where a law needs to be suggested. Damn people.

You can't legislate away stupid. Besides, nobody would obey the law anymore than they do the new law that prevents cars from entering crosswalks while a pedestrian is also using the crossing (even when it's completely safe). Just another pointless law that will never be enforced.

Also, this report points out 6-7 issues, whereas this legislation would only address the 'using a mobile device' section.

There are any number of issues. But people have died this year already in Toronto from walking into traffic while texting. What it gives is a lever to change certain behaviour. Just like most of Canada made texting and driving illegal.

View attachment 5444 View attachment 5442

Here is one of the many 'Pedestrian's wait for gap signs' that can be found all over the city. I can post more if you'd like. When there is traffic, it's literally impossible to safely cross at these points.

ALSO: They've eliminated a number of crosswalks near my house such that I have to cross 5 intersections (about 10-12 minutes) just to get to Queen's Quay from Fort York (along Spadina).

There's no crosswalk there, they have to yield to cars, and it appears that they erected signage so people stop jaywalking when cars are approaching. You have to intelligently design your infrastructure for all types of traffic flow. You can't have pedestrians running all over the place and expect things to be a) safe, and b) running efficiently. This is some pretty 101 city planning. I know you probably just saw that and got an ultra-huge anti-Rob Ford boner, but can you give me one good reason why it's a good idea to encourage pedestrians to run across an expressway on ramp connected to a major artery in the city? In neither of those examples is it sensible to have pedestrians running across the main road. This has nothing to do with Rob Ford, and everything to do with controlling traffic flow. If anything, the fact that there was a need to erect those signs to instruct people not to be idiots is the sign of a problem with stupid people crossing the road, which is also probably why they tabled the aforementioned legislation about texting while crossing.

I mean seriously, the city has major infrastructure problems and your biggest gripe is the fact you have to yield to cars on an expressway on-ramp? You don't get right of way all over the place simply because you're a pedestrian. Do you want a crosswalk on the 401 as well because, you know, how dare they design a roadway to keep traffic moving?

Also, sorry to break the news to you, but Spadina is a huge main artery for vehicular traffic and TTC Streetcars. How you can't understand that the city might want to have efficient traffic flow along that roadway without having people jaywalk across it is beyond me.

Last edited:
There are any number of issues. But people have died this year already in Toronto from walking into traffic while texting. What it gives is a lever to change certain behaviour. Just like most of Canada made texting and driving illegal.

From your previous post: 20 per cent of the pedestrians involved were distracted by means such as using a cell phone; MP3 player; a mobile device; pushing a shopping cart; walking a dog; or riding a skateboard.

Let's break this down shall we:

31 pedestrians died in 2015, 20% of these were from distractions.

Therefore: 6.2 people died from distraction

We should assume that at least one person died for each of the reasons stated in your post.

This means that means that no more than 2.2 people died using a cell phone or mobile device in 2015.

So you're advocating drafting a new piece of legislation that will spread the police even thinner, to stop 2 people from walking into traffic while texting?

Not sure if you're implying that it's illegal to cross at the 'wait for gap' signs...

At any rate, there are no crosswalks there, and there should be, people shouldn't have to play frogger every time they want to walk from Fort York to Queen's Quay, especially when their are no alternate routes within a reasonable distance.

The government should be looking at ways to stop people from driving downtown altogether. I'm a huge proponent of a congestion tax for anyone driving in the city proper. Who knows, might finally be able to afford a few new subway lines....

View attachment 5444 View attachment 5442

Those laws are as old as can be. Ford's policies were the reactions of a right wing crack pot to the policies of the left wing kook that preceded him. Miller, by the way, was proud of his efforts to worsen traffic in Toronto, and was proud of driving businesses out of the down town core. I don't think you'll see a more dramatic shift in governance than the switch between those two pinheads.

Have you noticed that so many problems in traffic with cyclists, motorists, and pedestrians would go away if people would just pay attention to what they were doing? There's no law or policy or crack-cocaine-fuelled campaign promise that can legislate paying attention. Having the right of way doesn't matter to a dead man.

Just last week I had a dude crossing on a red light, right in front of my car, when I had the right of way and he was completely oblivious of anything going on around him until I was forced to lay on my horn..
^this is pretty common, and it's increased dramatically in the past ten years or so. I'm not sure if it's just a major increase in stupid people, or maybe they stopped teaching kids how to cross streets in schools.

You can't fix stupid,<snip> But at least the city can profit off of stupid people. :)
I always wonder how often that's the original intent.

31 pedestrians died in 2015, 20% of these were from distractions. Therefore: 6.2 people died from distraction
The rest were actively trying to get hit? We've had a few in the e.r. who would intentionally run into a traffic lane because they liked to see vehicles jam their brakes on. They were surprised when they got hit. Dumb. Very dumb. All young males.

Those laws are as old as can be. Ford's policies were the reactions of a right wing crack pot to the policies of the left wing kook that preceded him. Miller, by the way, was proud of his efforts to worsen traffic in Toronto, and was proud of driving businesses out of the down town core. I don't think you'll see a more dramatic shift in governance than the switch between those two pinheads.

Have you noticed that so many problems in traffic with cyclists, motorists, and pedestrians would go away if people would just pay attention to what they were doing? There's no law or policy or crack-cocaine-fuelled campaign promise that can legislate paying attention. Having the right of way doesn't matter to a dead man.

You're right. It may be possible to eliminate a lot of the crap that happens by just having people focus on what they're doing. But legislation can't prevent stupidity and ignorance.

Case and point, I was driving to Costco last week and saw someone driving down the Gardiner at 70, left turn signal on, swerving in the center lane. When I passed, the guy had one hand on the wheel and was looking down at his cell phone. I honked at him and he looked up and flipped me off.

The rest were actively trying to get hit? We've had a few in the e.r. who would intentionally run into a traffic lane because they liked to see vehicles jam their brakes on. They were surprised when they got hit. Dumb. Very dumb. All young males.

The rest were not caused by pedestrian distractions, they were caused by driver error. Two weeks ago a lady was hit by a car that drove onto the sidewalk, ran through her little kiosk, and crushed her against a stone wall. Last week, a guy on his bike was killed while trying to dodge a car that was making an illegal left hand turn.

If anything thinks them adding a law will change anything has never been to Toronto. No one follows the existing traffic laws and the cops don't enforce them either. Every day I see jaywalkers stepping out right in front of cars, pedestrians crossing on red, crazy people panhandling in the street, cyclists running stop signs, motorists running stop signs, motorists blocking traffic and running red lights, cyclists riding on the sidewalk, making left-hand turns on red and passing cars on the right at stoplights. If no one is enforcing the laws, they're only really relevant when someone gets hit by a car.

I personally don't think making using your phone while walking across the street needs to be a law, if you lack the common sense to do it you're not going to care if it's illegal or not anyway.

If anything thinks them adding a law will change anything has never been to Toronto. No one follows the existing traffic laws and the cops don't enforce them either. Every day I see jaywalkers stepping out right in front of cars, pedestrians crossing on red, crazy people panhandling in the street, cyclists running stop signs, motorists running stop signs, motorists blocking traffic and running red lights, cyclists riding on the sidewalk, making left-hand turns on red and passing cars on the right at stoplights. If no one is enforcing the laws, they're only really relevant when someone gets hit by a car.

I personally don't think making using your phone while walking across the street needs to be a law, if you lack the common sense to do it you're not going to care if it's illegal or not anyway.

You forgot to mention: Only about 50% of motorists actually signal.

While I'm not a fan of unnecessary money grab laws and think this is pointless. At the same time I don't feel bad for idiots who never look up from their phone and don't practice even a shred of road safety then get run over no matter what the pedestrian laws are. I don't care if I have the right of way in crosswalks, I LOOK to make sure the cars are in fact stopping before I step foot out in the road.

I always wonder how often that's the original intent.

There are a lot of laws that are made because of a small amount of people that get hurt but many people do it without getting hurt. Make a law to "do something" and save lives, and it looks legit (which it is, to a degree). Add a monetary fine to it, and the city gets a nice revenue stream from it.

Now, if that law is or isn't enforced to a high degree is another story. There are a lot of laws out there that just aren't enforced.

I find it sad that the US (and the rest of the world, as with the original article) is legislating stupidity... Both that we have to make laws for it and that they are enough stupid people out there to actually justify a law. Damn....

When it comes to the actual results, will it save those 2 lives a year or will it create a decent revenue?

They just lifted the ban on street hockey, now they want to replace it with this?

Let's just get right to a real issue, the ban on playoff hockey needs to go.

Not sure if you're implying that it's illegal to cross at the 'wait for gap' signs...

At any rate, there are no crosswalks there, and there should be, people shouldn't have to play frogger every time they want to walk from Fort York to Queen's Quay, especially when their are no alternate routes within a reasonable distance.

The government should be looking at ways to stop people from driving downtown altogether. I'm a huge proponent of a congestion tax for anyone driving in the city proper. Who knows, might finally be able to afford a few new subway lines....

Spoken like a true downtowner. Force everyone else to pay for you because they can't afford to buy a $1.5 million house. You make comments like this, and then follow it up with "gee, why did Rob Ford think there was a war on cars". The fact that you can't make that connection on your own is, quite frankly, astounding. Your proposal would increase the costs of living in the city as well, as believe it or not, stock at the local retail and grocery stores has to be trucked in. It doesn't magically appear on the shelves through a combination of magic and rainbows.

Congestion can be addressed in a number of ways. Again, I challenge you, provide me a single reason why it makes sense to have a pedestrian crosswalk across an expressway on-ramp. You seem convinced that this is the way to go, so please explain to me how this makes a shred of sense to say this and then complain about congestion. We're all sorry that you're somewhat inconvenienced on your walk from your $1.5 million home to get down to Queens Quay, but the rest of us proles need to commute on the streetcar or drive where we need to go, and having pedestrians scrambling across the main road is not an effective way to address congestion.

And we would be able to afford subway lines if Toronto's city council wasn't embarrassingly dysfunctional. The fact that a crack smoker can balance the budget better than anyone else on council is a sign of a major problem if you want my opinion.

The rest were not caused by pedestrian distractions, they were caused by driver error. Two weeks ago a lady was hit by a car that drove onto the sidewalk, ran through her little kiosk, and crushed her against a stone wall. Last week, a guy on his bike was killed while trying to dodge a car that was making an illegal left hand turn.

As someone who has commuted via walking, driving, AND cycling, it's not always the driver who's at fault. Sorry to break it to you. Most cyclists ignore the highway traffic act as if it doesn't apply to them. If people followed the rules in general, there would be a lot less issues overall and people would be safer for it. Yes, some drivers are terrible and not attentive. I see the same from pedestrians and cyclists.

As someone who has commuted via walking, driving, AND cycling, it's not always the driver who's at fault. Sorry to break it to you. Most cyclists ignore the highway traffic act as if it doesn't apply to them. If people followed the rules in general, there would be a lot less issues overall and people would be safer for it. Yes, some drivers are terrible and not attentive. I see the same from pedestrians and cyclists.

You're right, it isn't always the drivers fault, the difference is that no matter who is at fault, the cyclist or pedestrian is the one that's injured or killed.

In effect, a distracted cyclist or pedestrian is a danger to themselves, a distracted driver is a danger to everyone else.

At any rate, I never implied in my original post that drivers are always at fault. I merely pointed out that only 20% of fatal accidents are caused by distracted pedestrians/cyclists and the rest are caused by driver error.

You're right, it isn't always the drivers fault, the difference is that no matter who is at fault, the cyclist or pedestrian is the one that's injured or killed.

In effect, a distracted cyclist or pedestrian is a danger to themselves, a distracted driver is a danger to everyone else.

At any rate, I never implied in my original post that drivers are always at fault. I merely pointed out that only 20% of fatal accidents are caused by distracted pedestrians/cyclists and the rest are caused by driver error.

Which is why it's a bad idea to have a pedestrian crosswalk across an expressway on-ramp.

Spoken like a true downtowner. Force everyone else to pay for you because they can't afford to buy a $1.5 million house. You make comments like this, and then follow it up with "gee, why did Rob Ford think there was a war on cars". The fact that you can't make that connection on your own is, quite frankly, astounding. Your proposal would increase the costs of living in the city as well, as believe it or not, stock at the local retail and grocery stores has to be trucked in. It doesn't magically appear on the shelves through a combination of magic and rainbows.

Congestion can be addressed in a number of ways. Again, I challenge you, provide me a single reason why it makes sense to have a pedestrian crosswalk across an expressway on-ramp. You seem convinced that this is the way to go, so please explain to me how this makes a shred of sense to say this and then complain about congestion. We're all sorry that you're somewhat inconvenienced on your walk from your $1.5 million home to get down to Queens Quay, but the rest of us proles need to commute on the streetcar or drive where we need to go, and having pedestrians scrambling across the main road is not an effective way to address congestion.

And we would be able to afford subway lines if Toronto's city council wasn't embarrassingly dysfunctional. The fact that a crack smoker can balance the budget better than anyone else on council is a sign of a major problem if you want my opinion.

I don't own a $1.5 million home, I rent a condo and fully intend to move out of the city within the next 6-8 months. I assure you that I will not be driving to work.

What I will be doing is taking the bus/subway to work, which is what the majority of people should be doing. Now I'll admit, there are deep problems with the TTC that would need to be rectified before a congestion tax could/should be put in place, but I certainly don't think that they're insurmountable.

Regarding the expressway off-ramps, as long as it's legal to cross (as it is now) pedestrians should have the right of way (or there should be a light). If the city wants to make it illegal to cross, that's fine, just so long as they provide a reasonable alternative.

Pedestrian safety > You arriving at work 2 minutes earlier.

Toronto can't even stop people from using their mobile devices while driving. They can't even deal with the thousands of jaywalkers walking across the road not bothering to even look at oncoming motorists.

Just another overpaid politician trying to justify his existence.

Crosswalks are required across highway onramps that leave from a city/'burb/town street. Otherwise there is no safe way for them to cross. Pedestrians and cyclists are expected (though not required) to look before crossing, but in any case the pedestrian always has the right of way because motorists are by law expected to watch, and stop for pedestrians at all pedestrian crossings. Hit anyone in a crosswalk with your car, regardless if the pedestrian was p[paying attention or not, it is the motorist that will be charged, and possibly sued.

This kind of law won't fly any more than a anti-jaywalking law can fly. Anyone who doubts take a look at Front St. in front of Hnion station during the morning whenever a train comes in. Thousands of jaywalkers per minute, looking at their smartphones and no crosswalks.

Last edited:
I don't own a $1.5 million home, I rent a condo and fully intend to move out of the city within the next 6-8 months. I assure you that I will not be driving to work.

What I will be doing is taking the bus/subway to work, which is what the majority of people should be doing. Now I'll admit, there are deep problems with the TTC that would need to be rectified before a congestion tax could/should be put in place, but I certainly don't think that they're insurmountable.

Regarding the expressway off-ramps, as long as it's legal to cross (as it is now) pedestrians should have the right of way (or there should be a light). If the city wants to make it illegal to cross, that's fine, just so long as they provide a reasonable alternative.

Pedestrian safety > You arriving at work 2 minutes earlier.

I totally agree that people should be taking the subway and/or bus to work, which would be more feasible if Toronto had a public transit system that was anywhere near sufficient for a city of it's category, but the problem is that a) politicians and b) riders have no interest in actually paying for it, so the system sucks and you're better off driving 9 times out of 10. That's why we're having gridlock problems. I do find it ironic that you're saying Rob Ford complained about a fictitious "war on cars", but you followed it up by saying you don't want them in the downtown core. It's hard not to drive in Toronto to be honest and get where you need to go in a timely manner. That needs to be addressed, but another tax is not an effective solution. Corporations have already left Toronto in droves because of Miller's taxes, it's not going to be good for the city.

There are reasonable alternatives available in the zones you're referring to. The problem is, people simply don't want to take 30 seconds to cross to the other side of the street where there already is a crosswalk. You have to design traffic infrastructure to cater to all forms of traffic if you want a chance of making things move efficiently. Putting a crosswalk with pedestrian right of way, especially in the one you posted in the photograph, would cause a ridiculous backlog of vehicular traffic which slows down not only drivers, but also TTC buses.

I totally agree that people should be taking the subway and/or bus to work, which would be more feasible if Toronto had a public transit system that was anywhere near sufficient for a city of it's category, but the problem is that a) politicians and b) riders have no interest in actually paying for it, so the system sucks and you're better off driving 9 times out of 10. That's why we're having gridlock problems. I do find it ironic that you're saying Rob Ford complained about a fictitious "war on cars", but you followed it up by saying you don't want them in the downtown core. It's hard not to drive in Toronto to be honest and get where you need to go in a timely manner. That needs to be addressed, but another tax is not an effective solution. Corporations have already left Toronto in droves because of Miller's taxes, it's not going to be good for the city.

There are reasonable alternatives available in the zones you're referring to. The problem is, people simply don't want to take 30 seconds to cross to the other side of the street where there already is a crosswalk. You have to design traffic infrastructure to cater to all forms of traffic if you want a chance of making things move efficiently. Putting a crosswalk with pedestrian right of way, especially in the one you posted in the photograph, would cause a ridiculous backlog of vehicular traffic which slows down not only drivers, but also TTC buses.

Yes, Toronto has one of the most obnoxious transit systems of any major city in North America, probably the world. I did state in a previous post that they shouldn't implement any sort of congestion tax until after they've developed sufficient transit infrastructure. It would be part of a long term plan and wouldn't happen until suitable alternatives were available.

What's worse, is that the city keeps letting developers build MORE condos, which further increase traffic, pollution, and are sinfully ugly. They are putting up a 72 story Condo RIGHT beside the Roger's Center FFS.

To your second point, there is no crosswalk in the photo I posted. None. It would be one thing if I could cross the street and take a crosswalk, but the other side of the street has a big sign saying 'Pedestrian's cross at East side', which is the side that says 'Pedestrian's wait for gap'.

This is on Spadina. To get across this street, I would either have to walk to Bathurst or Reese, both streets that are ~500 meters away.

Yes, Toronto has one of the most obnoxious transit systems of any major city in North America, probably the world. I did state in a previous post that they shouldn't implement any sort of congestion tax until after they've developed sufficient transit infrastructure. It would be part of a long term plan and wouldn't happen until suitable alternatives were available.

What's worse, is that the city keeps letting developers build MORE condos, which further increase traffic, pollution, and are sinfully ugly. They are putting up a 72 story Condo RIGHT beside the Roger's Center FFS.

To your second point, there is no crosswalk in the photo I posted. None. It would be one thing if I could cross the street and take a crosswalk, but the other side of the street has a big sign saying 'Pedestrian's cross at East side', which is the side that says 'Pedestrian's wait for gap'.

This is on Spadina. To get across this street, I would either have to walk to Bathurst or Reese, both streets that are ~500 meters away.

Transit needs to be developed, but the last thing Toronto needs is another tax. It's an overtaxed jurisdiction as it is, and the taxes have been proven to be stifling development. Money flows down the path of least resistance. I don't understand how people see that as a difficult concept.

I do agree with you on overdeveloping condos downtown with zero supporting infrastructure, but considering the housing boom has become one of the major economic driving forces in the region, I also don't expect the government to step in despite the fact it might make sense. It's the other reason why the government conveniently doesn't keep data on foreign real estate buys. That way, they can feign ignorance while not having to explain why a "student" from China with sub $20,000 per year income just bought a $2 million home in Vancouver. They know that they need that construction boom continuing or a lot of people will be out of work really quickly.

Yes, I know, and there shouldn't be a crosswalk there, that's my point. It's bad city planning to put a crosswalk in certain areas because it's bad for overall traffic flow. It disrupts vehicular traffic and disrupts transit. The Streetcar is slow enough as it is, we don't need to slow it down further by putting a crosswalk down every four feet just because people don't feel like walking. It doesn't make sense.

Back