Torn between 2 memory kits for Skylake, don't know what to do...

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
Hi all. So with my Skylake build's motherboard acquired and the case coming for Christmas as a gift and the CPU decided on (yet at such a premium over MSRP it's not worth getting right now I go to the next important piece for the build: memory. Throughout tonight I have perused various 32GB kits of DDR4-2666 after getting word that for Skylake that's the sweet spot. I know that cause HardOCP's reviews on various Z170 Express boards (not to mention I think Tom's Hardware) said as such. On Newegg I've lowered my selection between a HyperX kit and a Corsair Dominator Platinum kit. Links here:

Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233709

HyperX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104613

One is a little faster than the other on its timings and one is also cheaper than the other but stability and longevity is what I desire as well. According to PC Hound the 2 kits are compatible with the Gigabyte board I already purchased so ladies and gentleman, which looks better than the other to you? Thanks in advance for answers and advice and until next time I am out!

The hyperx has lower latency and is cheaper. For me thats an obvious choice.

What I notice is that the HyperX is 34.57mm while the Corsair is... taller (could not find the specs for the height). That may or may not make a difference with whatever CPU cooler you choose.

I would avoid Corsair, my DDR4 is crap. It wont run at rated speed and their UK support say it has to be shipped registered to Holland at my expense.
There have been a lot of complaints about Corsair DDR4 in Skylake.

From my research, GSKill looks the best bet. I would have bought a Ripjaws V kit if I knew better then.

Corsair kits do seem to be having a lot of issues with Skylake. G.Skill is getting the best results from what I've seen, and from my personal experience.

I had to RMA that exact corsair dominator kit, I could not get it to work with 2 different z170 mobos. I also had to RMA a Kingston set but it's not the exact set you listed. Zero problems with g skill trident z or V.

I especially love the G Skill Trident Z which runs at 3200 with XMP. Great when something just works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all. Thanks for the answers and advice so far. Just to answer a quick query posed here and add something to the thread. evilsofa mentioned something about the height of the memory of the HyperX Savage set, saying it's shorter in height. evilsofa, to answer your question about the CPU cooler, I'll be using a Corsair H70 self-contained CPU water cooler I already have with this build. So hopefully that works out well.

Also, another note: I read up on the Gigabyte site for the GA-Z170X Gaming 7 mobo I have for my build and went through their qualified memory list (of which memory DIMM's are certified to work with the board and which are not). Neither kit in my original post are on the list. I placed the Corsair kit on my finalists because when HardOCP did their review of this mobo they used a Corsair Dominator kit (for a higher-rated speed) and it seemed to work great for them. However; that being said with this board is it safer to just go with a kit that on Gigabyte's own qualified list or do I chance it with a set that might not work?

Finally this: According to HyperX there is an XMP profile the Savage kit I mentioned has for Z170 mobos so that it'll work over XMP. On the Gigabyte mobo (I read the manual the last few days cover to cover) in the BIOS there's an XMP profile 1 and profile 2 for the board. If I choose to get the Savage kit, what would you all think would be the XMP profile to set the board to for the memory and mobo to live in harmony...maybe? That is all I got for now. Back to the debate. Out!

Back