Top P4 Motherboard right now?

pimpingiraffe

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to spend around 130-140 dollars on a P4 Motherboard. I have had very little experience on the Intel front, since I have been using AMD for quite some time now.

I'm looking at getting a p4 2.6c (800 FSB) chip, and want a good board to go with it. Something that's going to be stable and overclock well. I've got some Corsair XMX pc3500 memory to throw at it as well so I think this will be an all around nice machine.

Any suggestions for a good heatsink for this chip would be great as well.

So basically what's a good P4 Motherboard thats stable and overclocks pretty great with these new chips around 140 dollars. Thanks. If anyone wants to chat on AIM about it "I Have Mucus" is where i'm at.

if you wanna get a top p4 board your gonna have to spend a little more. My board is considered one of the fastest if not the fastest out right now, and it really is with a lot of nice features. This board will run you 180 shipped. If your not into that, then you can look into the Asus P4P series which are closer to your price range. Abit IC7 series boards are also good, featured filled boards from what I hear.

The Abit IC7 looks like a very nice board, can anyone offer any insight to this puppy? Thanks for your advice too man.

My dad has a IC7 (the base version) been a very stable board, havnet OC'd it at all though. I just bought the IC7-Max3 and love it so far, my 2.4 is running nicly at 2.7ghz right now as I havent pushed it at all yet.

Abit has always made excellent enthusiast boards and the IC7 series is no exception. It would be my recomendation. Asus also makes some nice stuff depending on how much extra 'stuff' you need.

-Matt :cool:

Yeah i've got to say this board the IC7 is just looking good. Also which chip is a better OCer the 2.4C or the 2.6C? Anybody?

IC7 Vote here

For HSF, I've been a big fan of the Zalman CPNS7000A lately- very quiet stuff, cools well. There's always the default standby of Alpha's 8942T + Fan too......

OK, Ok, I know you prolly don't care, but do the two fans on the Max 3 make much noise ?

i love my max3.
and i dont hear the fans on it cause of my 5 case fans + a 92mm tornado lol.

id recomend a ic7 series mobo to your price range.

Another vote for the IC7 series. I can't wait to get new Ram just to see how far I can push my 3.0c chip. I've already had it to 3.35 on crappy ram.

Maybe its just me, but ive had nothing but problem with my IC7.

Currently waiting on a new chaintech.

Originally posted by Kaos
Maybe its just me, but ive had nothing but problem with my IC7.

Currently waiting on a new chaintech.

*Cough* Geil RAM *Cough* Causes much trouble *Cough*

another vote for the max3, i love mine. it is by far the best board i ever used. oh, the fans on it are dead silent.

>>>another vote for the max3, i love mine. it is by far the best >>>board i ever used. oh, the fans on it are dead silent.

OK, you convinced me. I've got a 3.2Prescott on pre-order and my current rig doesn't supply correct voltages. Max3 it is.

Newegg of course!
-RJ.

Originally posted by RDJ
OK, Ok, I know you prolly don't care, but do the two fans on the Max 3 make much noise ?

Yes.

They are, however, easily silencable via speedfan

SanGreal,

My Max3 is on the way. Wondering: Did you have to mod anything to get that "Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu" to fit ? Looks like it might bump the northbridge fan.

OK, didn't want to upgrade my mobo but had to in order to go from 2.4b to prescott due to mobo not supporting VREG 1.5. Now, I read on some other forum that Max3 doesn't support the 1MB L3 cache without some type of mod possibly including hardware. Abit's site lists only .13u support. Order cancelled! I'll wait / see. Diggin the Max3 specs thou.

Originally posted by Schro
*Cough* Geil RAM *Cough* Causes much trouble *Cough*

quoted for truth. get that geil out of there, and just try different ram. if you read newegg reviews geil ram seems to be very picky about motherboard manufacturers. actually, since it looks like the chaintech was already ordered see how that works out for you first, but my guess is as good as schro's, the problem lies within the ram.

p4c800-x-x
ic7 max
but it is slightly more fussy about ram (and looks a bit Tt ish)

Back