Top 10 Toughest

man, IGN is ruthless with these

Contra being the hardest game ever?! maybe if you have one hand...

They are idiots.

Back in the day, I could beat the orginial contra without losing a life.

Ghosts and Goblins was 1000000x harder than contra. I still to this day can't beat it on my NES.

i cant see it from work here, but contra is no where near the hardest of anything. the whole game can be beaten in under 12 minutes... i know this because i have an achievement for it. TMNT is harder then contra, albeit because the gameplay is retarded... its still harder though =]

Only games on that list that I actually played where Contra 3, and F-Zero GX, Contra 3 is hard and took me awhile to beat it, and F-Zero GX I beat all the story mode levels on very hard, but I still am working on beating all the modes of the grand prix, the better I get the more it scales and thats why I think F-Zero GX is the most difficult game I ever played.

i cant see it from work here, but contra is no where near the hardest of anything. the whole game can be beaten in under 12 minutes... i know this because i have an achievement for it. TMNT is harder then contra, albeit because the gameplay is retarded... its still harder though =]

Contra can not be finished in 12 minutes

you're thinking of the arcade version.

the arcade version IS Contra... is there another contra on that list? 2,3,etc?

I have MDK2, and I haven't beat it yet. Not because I can't (though maybe I can't :) ), but it got set asside when I bought newer titles. I've been meaning to go back and finish it, along with a couple other Dreamcast games I never beat.

that list is lame and IGN sucks ass. Target Earth is unbeatable, and hell fire is twice as hard as R-type. For working at a video game magazine they sure don't know a lot about video games.

Battletoads was a bit tough.

When I first got Contra it was a tad tough. What game isn't at first?

It can be beat without continues. It really isn't that hard. It's harder to beat SMB without cheats and continues than Contra. Not that SMB is hard at all.

Ring King was tough!!! One of the few games I could never understand! Couldn't pass the 3rd guy!!!

God IGN are a bunch of total retards, stop making lists they are all wrong.

Ugh, what a terrible list.

A few games that were harder than anything they put on that list:

TMNT (fuck, that game was HARD)
Metal Gear (maybe I just gave up, but that game was infuriating)
Kid Icarus (nuff said)

Any list of difficult games that doesn't include Target Earth nor Haunted Castle is just wrong.

If you think TMNT, Ninja Gaiden, Battle Toads, Kid Icarus, Ghosts and Goblins, Shinobi, Contra, Mega Man, DMC, God of War (God/Titan Mode) or any game on that list is difficult, you haven't the slightest clue on what a hard game trully is.

Only games on that list that I actually played where Contra 3, and F-Zero GX, Contra 3 is hard and took me awhile to beat it, and F-Zero GX I beat all the story mode levels on very hard, but I still am working on beating all the modes of the grand prix, the better I get the more it scales and thats why I think F-Zero GX is the most difficult game I ever played.

I'm exactly the opposite with F-Zero GX. I've beaten all of the Gran Prix modes on master, unlocked the AX cup (Meteor Storm and Thunder Road are awesome BTW), but can't for the life of me make it past one lap on Finale: Enter the Creators. I'm so used to going balls to the wall with boosting, that I just can't stay on that track that has no rails anywhere.

I'm exactly the opposite with F-Zero GX. I've beaten all of the Gran Prix modes on master, unlocked the AX cup (Meteor Storm and Thunder Road are awesome BTW), but can't for the life of me make it past one lap on Finale: Enter the Creators. I'm so used to going balls to the wall with boosting, that I just can't stay on that track that has no rails anywhere.

Just takes lot's of practice and memorization, one reason why I'm not to good at the Grand Prix yet, still trying to learn all the diamond tracks, as I only recently started playing the Grand Prix modes as before that I almost exclusively just played Story Mode, for some reason even though it's only rated 3 stars the 1st diamond cup track, trident makes me very angry as I have a habit of dying on that level, none of the other ones seem to agrivate me more.

BTW, have u beat the Finale even on Normal mode, or the other story mode levels on very difficult yet?

Not a terrible list, except for #1 and #2. I've beaten Contra while only losing two lives. And none of the Mega Man games on the Anniversary Collection GCN disc were particularly difficult, compared to say, Battletoads or F-Zero GX. I still have my NES Battletoads and I never came all that close to finishing it. I could get past the third level with the bikes that so many people have a problem with, but it remains very tough after that. As for F-Zero, I finished first in all of the cups on all skill levels, but it took forever to do it. I never did finish everything on Story Mode. I got through the easiest difficulty for everything, and all three difficulties for a few of them, but the other ones give you no room for error... I just gave up after a while... wasn't worth it to unlock a few more characters.

Contra @ #1?? What??

Shit, even Shattered Soldier (an infuriating Contra for the PS2) was a tougher game than that!!
This list blows.

Contra is definately NOT number 1, but they should have swapped it for the PS2 Contra version.

Just takes lot's of practice and memorization, one reason why I'm not to good at the Grand Prix yet, still trying to learn all the diamond tracks, as I only recently started playing the Grand Prix modes as before that I almost exclusively just played Story Mode, for some reason even though it's only rated 3 stars the 1st diamond cup track, trident makes me very angry as I have a habit of dying on that level, none of the other ones seem to agrivate me more.

BTW, have u beat the Finale even on Normal mode, or the other story mode levels on very difficult yet?

Trident is not that hard, I usually use a Frost Lynx-G4 for the Diamond cup, and for that race I set it to absolute max speed. Although you can get a faster time by using different routes on the first lap (and if your mad, hop between tracks after the second split where they form an over-under braid), I always pick the middle route to run over the health, at all splits, not the fastest route, but it works. I'm usually 2+ seconds ahead of everyone else after the first lap, and after that its never stop mashing the boost button and hang on for dear life. Finish about 6+ seconds in front of the whole pack, use the same strategy for the next race (Lateral Shift), thou if possible, try to knock out rivals on the first lap.

For the whole cup (and with some luck) I'm usually ahead of everyone by a good margin that I can finish dead last for Phantom Road, and still win. I am always crashing into walls if I try to go fast on that track.

Oh and no, I haven't even beaten story mode on normal. Like I said earlier, Enter the Creators kicks my ass repeatedly, and I personally think the Blue Falcon is a crappy car. My favorite car is the Mighty Hurricane, thou for the first 2 "ultra speed" courses in the Diamond cup, the Frost Lynx-G4 works well.

Trident is not that hard, I usually use a Frost Lynx-G4 for the Diamond cup, and for that race I set it to absolute max speed. Although you can get a faster time by using different routes on the first lap (and if your mad, hop between tracks after the second split where they form an over-under braid), I always pick the middle route to run over the health, at all splits, not the fastest route, but it works. I'm usually 2+ seconds ahead of everyone else after the first lap, and after that its never stop mashing the boost button and hang on for dear life. Finish about 6+ seconds in front of the whole pack, use the same strategy for the next race (Lateral Shift), thou if possible, try to knock out rivals on the first lap.

For the whole cup (and with some luck) I'm usually ahead of everyone by a good margin that I can finish dead last for Phantom Road, and still win. I am always crashing into walls if I try to go fast on that track.

Oh and no, I haven't even beaten story mode on normal. Like I said earlier, Enter the Creators kicks my ass repeatedly, and I personally think the Blue Falcon is a crappy car. My favorite car is the Mighty Hurricane, thou for the first 2 "ultra speed" courses in the Diamond cup, the Frost Lynx-G4 works well.

Is the frost lynx g4 a custom car?

Batman, on the original NES. I've beaten TMNT and Contra on the NES. Hell, I've beaten Contra on the NES without dying!

Battletoads is hard. So was RC-Pro Am - damn yellow car!

Anyone remember Blaster Master? Loads of fun, but really difficult :)

Hardest game I've played to date, is Ikaruga.

Contra is definately NOT number 1, but they should have swapped it for the PS2 Contra version.

I think they are referring to game series on this list... So, they aren't talking about Contra for the NES specifically, but the Contra series as a whole.

Man, I couldn't even get past the first LEVEL of that PS2 Contra game... daaaamn.

I think they are referring to game series on this list... So, they aren't talking about Contra for the NES specifically, but the Contra series as a whole.

Man, I couldn't even get past the first LEVEL of that PS2 Contra game... daaaamn.

Nope:
The Contra series is known for separating the Spartans from the Persians. And while gamers will debate which game in the series is actually the hardest (a very strong case can be made for Contra Hard Corps), we went with the original since it's basically responsible for introducing cheat codes. Contra is virtually impossible to beat without entering the Konami code -- and even then, there's a good chance Mad Dog and Scorpion won't make it to their showdown with Red Falcon. As if one-hit kills weren't enough, your friends can even end you if they don't wait up while scaling that waterfall. Any way you slice it, Contra is hardcore.

And I actually beat Shattered Soldier without any cheats... but I got the worst ending. lol
Hey, at least it's something! lol

Contra, for the NES, is hard. I don't know what people are talking about. And the TMNT for the NES was definatelly up there. Some of my most frustrating game moments were in Final Fantasy 2 (SNES) (FF IV), Earthbound, Gradius for NES, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, Blaster Master, and fighting Mike Tyson in Punch Out!

They make all games way too easy now IMO. I'd say at least 50% of all NES and maybe even SNES games are more difficult that any game made today.

MDK2 is definitly hardcore. I never was able to beat it.

I'm definitely going to have to hook my Dreamcast back up, so I can try and play through this game. I can't even remember what level I left off at. I don't think I was too far, so I'll just have to start over, so I can remember what was going on. :)

Back