too much as5 = dead X2???

Homer

Limp Gawd
Problem solved. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
:eek:

No wait....make that a quadruple :eek: !

How on Earth did you get it on the pins!?

Did you use the entire syringe full?

Qtips and 90%+ rubbing alcohol is my best guess. Toothpick and toilet paper and 90%+ rubbing alcohol to get the tiny stuff off.

You have a long night ahead of you to get that all off.

You are only supposed to use a teensy droplet of AS on your proc!

I know. I'm a dumbass.

Would 70% alcohol work??? Otherwise is there any liquid I could use on the cpu to help lift the paste without damaging the cpu?

I have used 70% with no problem. You just want to make sure it is ALL dry before powering it on again.

Good golly! I still can't wrap me mind around using that much AS5.

Have any pics!?
;)

yes, 70% isopropyl works best :) ... well, best when because cheap and normally found in one's bathroom.

You are suppose to use a pea sized amount at the most.

How the hell did you do that?

I hope everything turnes to be ok...

Don't panic, go to the auto parts store and buy a can of Brake Clean, take it home and spray the pins out with it, if it won't take the AS5 off nothing will.

Don't rub the pins with the tube but get it as close as possible holding the can at 45 degrees to the chip and spray it in a complete pattern from all directions.

Spray some into a cup and dip a rag in it and use it to blot up the AS5 on the socket.

Brake Clean leaves zero residue so there's no worries there.

Do you mind if I ask you a weird question? Is that the first time you install a CPU? Because I'm glad I didn't take any chances and bought a $50 CDN Duron 1.8 GHz for my first build. LOL, I did sort of screw up though. I had placed the heatsink at an angle. Since I hadn't turned it on yet by the time I noticed that, the thermal pad had not melted. So, I just took it off and put it back on again the right way. It's working well. What a relief. Had I made a mistake with a more expensive processor, I'm sure I would have crapped my pants. I'm not kidding. Just placing my CPU in the slot, I nearly broke a sweat. And, I was shaking. After putting on the heatsink (at an angle), I was exhausted. I had to lay down for a while. Of course, I had placed it at an angle the first time so I had to use a lot of force to put it on. While I did that, my screwdriver actually hit the board. I'm glad I used tape on the tip to protect the mobo just in case. :p

BTW, do you have to spread that as5 with a rubber glove after you put on a little tiny bead of it?

On a CPU with a IHS (heatspreader) you just put the BB on the center of the IHS and put the 'sink (or block) on it and fasten away.

Trust me, it works fine and I've tried spreading it and the BB method both and all spreading it does is make it possible to yank the cpu out of the socket with the 'sink which really sucks.

all I have to say, is F(_)ck yeah!!! And thanks to every one!!! I used a pin and got most of the stuff cleaned off, and its working fine right now... we will see how long it lasts however. Yeah yeah yeah, I used wayyyy to much, I know.

Thanks every one.

Please do not use implied swearing like "omfg" in thread titles.

A good way to get between all the pins is to dip a soft bristle toothbrush in isopropyl alcohol and gently run it between the pins of the CPU.

Sorry admin, was really in the moment. Anyways, its working now.

But when I took cards in and out its now not recognizing my second 7800 gtx.

I learned 2 things from this:

1. If its not broken, dont f*ck with it.

2. Read directions.

If AS5 managed to spread on the cpu pins, doesnt it means also the mainboard socket got a dose of artic silver too?

oldmx

agreed9qc.gif

You had better check that also.

Prolly did get in the cpu socket, but thats ok. The only reason it would harm it if there was so much that it actually filled up the socket pins on the mobo so much that it spilled out and touched or connected that way to other pins. Its all working fine now. Thx every one.

This is what AMD guy meant..

I asked AMD if AS5 void's warranty.. He goes Yes, Then "No" if you use it correctly without getting it on the pins then no..

But good luck.. :)

madmat said:
On a CPU with a IHS (heatspreader) you just put the BB on the center of the IHS and put the 'sink (or block) on it and fasten away.

Trust me, it works fine and I've tried spreading it and the BB method both and all spreading it does is make it possible to yank the cpu out of the socket with the 'sink which really sucks.

Are you trying to say you might damage the CPU if you take off the heatsink to replace it with another CPU? I used the thermal pad that came with the heatsink. Would the same happen in my case?

BTW, to the admin here, is saying OMG in your own post against rules here?

forumposter32 said:
Are you trying to say you might damage the CPU if you take off the heatsink to replace it with another CPU? I used the thermal pad that came with the heatsink. Would the same happen in my case?

BTW, to the admin here, is saying OMG in your own post against rules here?

With both meathods it is possible to pull the CPU out when trying to remove the heatsink and fan.

To avoid this, you want to slightly and gently twist the hsf as you pull up.

And as for the thread title....I believe it was "OMFG" before the change. You are not supposed to imply cursing in thread titles.

Yes, the BB method can remove the CPU as well but it's easier to break loose via the "twist" method described above, on a CPU with a bracket around it though there's not a lot of wiggle room so every advantage helps.

You could probably just take a little tray full of 91% Isopropenol and dip the CPU down into it and let it soak all that AS5 off there.

Next time read the instructions for everything you havn't had the experience of installing before. It will save you alot of time and heartache.

I know. I was an excited noob, and didnt take my time. Would the alcohol on the cpu damage it at all??

Homer said:
I know. I was an excited noob, and didnt take my time. Would the alcohol on the cpu damage it at all??

I dont think so. I use alcohol to clean off the PCB of my motherboard, sound card, video card, ect. The only thing exposed with the IHS on is the pins on the bottom and alcohol drys very quickly.

Back