Too indecisive about cases, need some help

PcZac

Limp Gawd
I'm still undecided if I want to go mATX or ITX, I really just want something easy enough to move around and sit on my desk. With this type of build it seems like I need to figure out my case before I can figure out my build.

- Needs to be able to fit a 9.5in gpu (Already have a EVGA GTX 760
- Needs to fix 2- 3.5in HDD and 1 SSD (I don't mind having to get creative with placement)
- Should be quiet and cool
- Easy to move is a plus
- Planning on getting a PSU with a fanless mode and want to minimize the number of fans to control noise, means I'll need a full sized psu.
- I will be using this computer primarily for game art, 3d modeling and baking. That means I'll be tasking the CPU and GPU often and for long periods of time.
- I'd like to spent around $100 max, less is always good.

In order I want
Quiet and Cool > Cheap > Looks > Small as possible > Easy to move

Here's a few of the cases I've taken interest in

LIAN LI PC-TU200B
+ Looks like an amp
+ Looks sturdy
+ Convenient handle
- Layout for cooling
- Large HDD tray
- PSU placement
- Expensive

Silverstone Raven Z RVZ01
+ Tiny by volume
- Ugly plastic design
- SFX PSU

NCASE M1
+ Tiny
+ Lots of flexibility
- Expensive
- Cannot buy anymore

BitFenix Prodigy M
+ Can remove bottom handles and use top ones to move case
- Huge

Fractal Design Node 304
+ Can definitely reuse my Thermalright Ultra-120
+ Good cooling
+ Drive placement
- Large for what it is

If the Silverstone comes with any case fans expect to replace one quickly. I have the RV-02 (raven) and had one of the fans go out within a year. I also have the LC-02 (lascala I think, model may be off) and I have a fan that out of the box was noticeable slower than the other one. It still runs but it doesn't push the air like it should. I didn't bother to try anything warranty wise because it seems most manufacturers require you to send the whole case and not the fan. I never checked with Silverstone so I don't know if that is the same with them.

Have you looked at the Corsair Obsidian 250D? Fairly small, great cooling performance, can fit all the hardware you want, very quiet. Only possible downside: It cannot fit large tower-coolers and was literally made for the Corsair H100i all-in-one CPU-cooler.

Have done 2 ITX builds with the Corsair Obsidian 250D. Accepts full size PSU, H100i fits perfectly, and it can accommodate a dual slot video card. Also has spaces for two 2 1/2" SSD's and two 3 1/2' platter drives. I replaced the 140mm front fan with a 200mm to cut down what little noise this case makes.
It is a little larger than all the cases you listed, but it meets all the other requirements you want for $89 from either newegg or amazon and it has excellent cooling especially with the H100i installed!

The Silverstone Raven has a Milo version which isn't half as ugly as the raven and mostly the same case.
You should add cooling as a minus on the silverstone though. The space for the cooler is more limitetd then the measurement say.

Just a FYI to the OP. The NCASE M1 v2 is going into production soon (supposedly May). Same dimensions but some minor improvements.

I'm curious, do you think you could get away with just the Corsair Obsidian 250D and H100i with no extra fans? 2 big fans covering the entire motherboard should get rid of most stagnant air.

The case already comes with a 140mm front fan, and the H100i is bundled with two fans as well. You can play around with them and find the best setup for your needs. Surely your temps would still be decent even without the front fan. However, I suspect that the front fan will only add little noise will really helping your graphics card stay quiet.

As far as I know the "positive pressure" concept doesn't work that well with the case. Mounting all three fans (you can ignore the rear fan mounts) as exhausts should help your graphics card to suck in fresh air and get rid of hot air, which in return should result in lower temperatures and more room for noise optimizations.

Again, your graphics card will likely be your biggest concern.

I'm a bit worried about the gpu, some ITX cases don't look ideal for non reference gpus. My card for reference

EVGA_GTX_760.jpg

250D is a large case, like the Prodigy, it's not SFF. If you want to go that size, get a TJ08e / PS07 or other quality mATX case with proper mounting for 3.5" drives, 240 radiator and full sized PSU.

But if you want to go small, that 760 will easily fit in an SG05 or SG08 and perform well. The only SFF case that really needs a "reference" closed-shroud GPU is the FT03-mini.

Yeah the TJ08e is a case I really like the design of, very straight forward. I don't think I'll ever use the second PCI slot though, so I figure I should just go mITX with a wireless card.

I do like the SG08, it seems like the GPU and CPU are pretty much directly pulling air from outside the case and putting it right back out. Not a huge fan of having an included power supply though. But having an optional slim bluray drive is nice, but they are like $60+.

I'm leaning towards SG08 now though

EVGA Hadron and Lian-li Q08/Q18 are also options that you might want to consider. Those 2 lian-li models will run cooler than PC-TU200B.

I do like the SG08, it seems like the GPU and CPU are pretty much directly pulling air from outside the case and putting it right back out. Not a huge fan of having an included power supply though. But having an optional slim bluray drive is nice, but they are like $60+.

I'm leaning towards SG08 now though

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=484&area=en

There's the SG08-Lite, without the power supply. Be aware that if you get your own PSU it needs to be non-modular and max 140mm long, in order to fit a long GPU. Silverstone will soon release a 130mm modular 500W PSU with semi-fanless operation, the SX500-LG. Will be a lot quieter than regular SFX. See pictures here http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/news/20140501_646813.html

Back