Armenius

Extremely [H]
Was revealed on Nintendo Direct today, but they're also coming to PC. Aspyr Media is the developer handling the remasters.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2478970/Tomb_Raider_IIII_Remastered/

Discover Lara Croft’s Original Adventures, Lovingly Restored

Play the Original Three Tomb Raider Adventures: For the first time ever, play the complete experience with all expansions and secret levels on modern platforms in this definitive collection.

Included Game Titles

• Tomb Raider I + The Unfinished Business Expansion
  • Tomb Raider II + The Gold Mask Expansion
  • Tomb Raider III + The Lost Artifact Expansion

Key Features

Solve Ancient Mysteries: Uncover treasures of the ancient world by solving puzzles and unraveling mysteries lost to the ravages of time.
Globe-trotting Adventure: Follow Lara Croft around the world and face off against deadly foes and dangerous myths.
Lovingly Restored: Experience the classics boasting upgraded graphics, with the option to switch to the original polygon look at any time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk55TwWYTFg

Finally. If these are good remasters, I will play them. I will play them all. Holy shit, I'm excited for this...please be good.

Finally. If these are good remasters, I will play them. I will play them all. Holy shit, I'm excited for this...please be good.
$30 seems a little steep to me, though, but it depends on how much work is going into it. If it is up to a Nightdive standard then I think it will be worth it.

how is Nightdive doing all these remasters?...seems like they have 4-5 major remasters they are working on...are they that big of a studio?

$30 seems a little steep to me, though, but it depends on how much work is going into it. If it is up to a Nightdive standard then I think it will be worth it.
Only NightDive can do NightDive.

This is by 'Aspyr' so who knows, but they are at least putting more effort into this than just "run original game in emulator -> render higher output res = true -> compile -> ask $60" like so many studios do.

I love the first 2 games and never got a chance to play the 3rd past the first 30 mins or so once. So I'm pretty excited for this.

I'll prolly pick it up on Switch or something since I doubt there will be much, if any advantage on PC or other platforms and can play it on the go. Given that, dunno why this is in the PC subforum now that I think of it, as I'm sure it will likely be much more popular on consoles (so this should be in the main general gaming forum).

I love the first 2 games and never got a chance to play the 3rd past the first 30 mins or so once. So I'm pretty excited for this.

I'll prolly pick it up on Switch or something since I doubt there will be much, if any advantage on PC or other platforms and can play it on the go. Given that, dunno why this is in the PC subforum now that I think of it, as I'm sure it will likely be much more popular on consoles (so this should be in the main general gaming forum).
PC Gaming gets more traffic.

Good summary: https://www.techspot.com/news/100166-remasters-first-three-tomb-raider-games-headed-pc.html

One thing that will be most welcome is having higher than 30 FPS. It has basically never been a thing except for more experimental projects which had lots of issues. It will make playing the classics so much easier on the eyes.

I hope they make the games modifiable too. That would be amazing for the TR community. TRLE compatibility would be nice too...though I'm not sure how likely that is to happen.

Edit:

I see there are some out there inexplicably complaining that this remastering project is happening. To those people I would say this: These games are called classics for a reason, and they are worthy of professional preservation work, even if just for history preservation purposes. It's getting more and more difficult to play these on modern systems or original hardware, and they are long overdue for this treatment. It's just a remaster, not a remake which would require more resources -- so get over it. And get the hell off my lawn while you're at it :geek:.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this - I had no idea it was coming. t1k did a good job explaining why these are welcome additions to the series.

Funny timing because within the past month I got the desire to try to experience the first one on PC again. I might just hold off so that the game will be "fresh" again in February. :)

TR: A was good fun, really enjoyed it, but they cut and modified some things so it's not a true 1:1 recreation of the O.G. game. Some of those changes were for the good (QoL improvements) but other areas were axed entirely. And that's just one aspect of it. I'm sure many gamers will enjoy things about each version while undoubtedly developing (or cementing) a preference for either the original TR1, TR: A, or TR1:R after playing them all.

I think many of us just wanted the original game with improved graphics and either modernized controls that aren't quite as EZ mode as those in TR: A, or slightly less frustrating gameplay mechanics, or some combination of both. Touch up the original soundtrack if you need to. But keep the core game the same. There were some things about TR1 that can be changed/improved to make for a better player experience (esp today) but the game is beloved for a reason so leaving as much as the original game intact as possible, within reason, will certainly appeal to many.

The ability to flip back/forth between old and new graphics is a cool touch that I wish more remasters would implement. If these games are handled properly with the care and reverence and attention that they deserve (*cough* GTA trilogy), this could be an amazing way to replay TR1-3.

GOG has the PC version too. But those requirements... wut?

1707241058361.png

For $1.34 I'm in. I never played the originals...
You really really should. I think TR1 is the best of the original three (I'm only counting the first three because that's what's on offer in the package. I'm aware of the other sequels). But it gets hate because of the tank controls. Yes - they're a little weird to get used to if you're used to modern Tomb Raider games. But the dirty little secret is that the game itself is built around this control scheme so it's never really a problem except for in a couple of quick-reflex areas; and even here they're not a huge deal.

I personally replay TR1 every two or three years. That's how much I love it.

Only a couple more days, boys! I hope this is as good as it looks. Most of what I have read and heard so far seem to indicate that it's being lovingly handled and that the team knows how important this is to the fans, but then again, we have heard that before with other remasters.

Circling back to TR:A for just a moment, I ran across this video yesterday and it does a much better job of explaining why TR:A is not the definitive version of that game in case anyone still doesn't realize why people are excited for a quality remaster of the OG that tastefully updates things while not changing too much.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-DeFmib7UI

Note: I do not agree with the title at all; TR:A would surely have to be far from gaming's worst remake, and I did enjoy playing through it. But when you take the changes into account, it's not hard to see why some of them seemed "meh" for fans of the original. It is certainly not some sort of mic drop version of Tomb Raider for modern systems, at least not if you're looking for a faithful modernization and not a "reimagining" (and that's not even bringing up the fact that we're getting all 3 original trilogy games here).

Yes, but I paused it at 18 minutes in and it had summarized most of the main points by that time. Everything after that appears to be a deeper dive into changes on a level-by-level basis, and then story changes, and then version comparisons.

IOW, anyone interested in the main points can get them in a fraction of the time without having to sit through the entire thing to get the point.

lol, an hour and a half for that? smh. I enjoyed TR:A though. Looking forward to the remastered trilogy at the end of the month.

lol, an hour and a half for that? smh. I enjoyed TR:A though. Looking forward to the remastered trilogy at the end of the month.
The main thrust of it is that they reimagined the original game to fit into the Legend trilogy rather than standing on its own in the original trilogy. From that perspective the game isn't bad. It's just disingenuous to call Anniversary the "definitive" version of the original game when they're both so different. I definitely don't agree with the clickbait title of it being the "worst" remake.

Looks like the Switch port is essentially the same as the consoles (and presumably PC) at 60 FPS. So buying there to play portably, as I've been waiting for this confirmation before preordering. Otherwise I would have bought on PC to play on my laptop. It's 10% off for preordering on Nintendo as well.

View: https://youtu.be/oCwxRYbgxAU?si=m0yGWYWahvvmoDMe

Last edited:
JFC, I guess this is what we can expect to be inserted to any media originally published before 2000 from now on. I'm afraid to see the person who finds any of this content "deeply harmful", but I almost guarantee if it's anyone, it's a white, blue haired, lesbian woman.
FTFY

Game was unlocked when I woke up.

I remember getting TR1 for PlayStation on Christmas in 1996 and spending a lot of time with the game and a 27" CRT exploring and trying to master its levels. I'm looking forward to actually being able to see some of the secrets now. :D

Dumbass Crystal Dynamics disclaimer aside, Aspyr appear to have done a good job so far. I'm working today so have spent less than 10m checking out the menus and Lara's manor.

20240214090425_1.jpg

Controls feel just as I remember and textures are crisp AF @ 4K. This is going to be a joy to experience on the 48CX I do believe.

Back