Today is Ada Lovelace Day (ALD)

rinaldo00

2[H]4U
11 October 2022

Tuesday 11 October 2022
Ada Lovelace Day (ALD) is an international celebration of the achievements of women in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM).

Nvidia miss timed the launch by this much 🤘

Because at those resolutions you are mostly CPU-bound.
It's also nvidia's piss poor hardware scheduling and architecture issues too that have been present on the last three generation of cards because AMD can scale much much better at lower resolutions where Nvidia can actually go backwards at times. You can literally set up a scenario where a lower end AMD card matches or beats a top of the line Nvidia card at lower resolutions using the same CPU.

Because at those resolutions you are mostly CPU-bound.

Yeah but it even underperformed the 3000 series in some games, which seems odd to me. To me that screams more optimization issue then a cpu bottleneck.

Yeah but it even underperformed the 3000 series in some games, which seems odd to me. To me that screams more optimization issue then a cpu bottleneck.
I believe most reviews back during the Ampere launch said it was due to nvidia's hardware scheduler which apparently they haven't fixed or changed after the last three generations of cards. Yet we still have idiots saying the CPU doesn't matter and then they go out and buy a high-end card for 1080p because they said they want high frame rates.

Even if you only have a 1440p monitor, you can still enable DLDSR and run your games at 4K anyway. Put some of those Tensor cores to work and get improved quality over native resolution including Anti-Aliasing that puts any in-game Anti-Aliasing options to shame.

Even if you only have a 1440p monitor, you can still enable DLDSR and run your games at 4K anyway. Put some of those Tensor cores to work and get improved quality over native resolution including Anti-Aliasing that puts any in-game Anti-Aliasing options to shame.
I'm pretty sure anybody that's in the market for a high-end Nvidia card knows to use DSR or DLDSR. That said it actually doesn't work in every game and the occasional game can cause some issues. Some unreal engine games and I believe most unity games will actually show you running at a DSR resolution when in fact you're really not. If you have the chance to buy a 4k monitor then that's highly advised with this level of GPU.

I'm pretty sure anybody that's in the market for a high-end Nvidia card knows to use DSR or DLDSR.

That's a pretty big assumption. Most people don't dig into settings or educate themselves about advanced features. Just like not everyone who buys a $1000+ iPhone is an iPhone expert.

That said it actually doesn't work in every game and the occasional game can cause some issues. Some unreal engine games and I believe most unity games will actually show you running at a DSR resolution when in fact you're really not.

That seems very odd to me and seems to be in conflict with the way DLDSR works on a basic level. DLDSR operates completely independent of any game. When you enable DLDSR, it simply makes a higher resolution available to choose from when selecting your resolution. With DLDSR enabled and using a higher resolution, it's still using that higher resolution even when you're not actually playing a game, including when you are just viewing web pages or whatever. It can actually be quite helpful in anti-aliasing text when using a larger monitor with a relatively low native resolution. From a game's perspective, there is ZERO difference between running on a 4K monitor and running on a 1440P monitor using 4K via DLDSR. In both cases the game is simply rendering at 4K and doesn't know the difference. Any game that you had issues with running at 4K via DLDSR would also experience issues with native 4K monitors because in both cases the game is doing the exact same thing - simply rendering the game at 4K. Some games have their own built-in DSR/super-sampling options, but those have nothing to do with DLDSR. DLDSR is enabled exclusively from within the Nvidia control panel.

That's a pretty big assumption. Most people don't dig into settings or educate themselves about advanced features. Just like not everyone who buys a $1000+ iPhone is an iPhone expert.

That seems very odd to me and seems to be in conflict with the way DLDSR works on a basic level. DLDSR operates completely independent of any game. When you enable DLDSR, it simply makes a higher resolution available to choose from when selecting your resolution. With DLDSR enabled and using a higher resolution, it's still using that higher resolution even when you're not actually playing a game, including when you are just viewing web pages or whatever. It can actually be quite helpful in anti-aliasing text when using a larger monitor with a relatively low native resolution. From a game's perspective, there is ZERO difference between running on a 4K monitor and running on a 1440P monitor using 4K via DLDSR. In both cases the game is simply rendering at 4K and doesn't know the difference. Any game that you had issues with running at 4K via DLDSR would also experience issues with native 4K monitors because in both cases the game is doing the exact same thing - simply rendering the game at 4K. Some games have their own built-in DSR/super-sampling options, but those have nothing to do with DLDSR. DLDSR is enabled exclusively from within the Nvidia control panel.
I know what DSR and DLDSR are and have been using and testing them ever since they came out. What you just explained right there changes absolutely nothing about what I said which is some games do not easily work with it and that is a fact. If you want we can start another topic and I will start breaking down the issues and even individual games and showing their own issues. But I'll give you a simple example which is there are some games that absolutely will not recognize anything but standard resolutions and that's even if you set the desktop resolution to it before launching the game.

Last edited:
Back