To Watercool or to not watercool?

peanutskeeter

Limp Gawd
So I have a loop installed at the current moment that includes the NB/SB chipsets and the CPU. I have always been reluctant to install the video cards into the loop because it seems they stay cool enough (40-60) under stress. Also because it seems I am constantly removing the video cards whether that be to run new wire for something, or this or that. A third reason is because the stock cooling is usually aesthetically pleasing and in order to water cool obviously I'll have to naked-fy the card.

Now, I have a pair of 5970s headed my way and I am seriously considering putting them in the loop simply because I can. Those of you who have video cards in your loop can you possibly give me some pros and cons of each and what blocks you use, etc. It would be much appreciated. I have struggled with this thought for some time, lol. Also, how does everybody feel about memory cooling? It seems kind of silly to me as well but who knows?! :confused:

Personally, I'd just try them out outside the loop first to see how you like the temps and noise. If you wanted to add them in to the watercooling setup, you might want to look into a second loop (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a pro by any means).

Personally, I'd just try them out outside the loop first to see how you like the temps and noise. If you wanted to add them in to the watercooling setup, you might want to look into a second loop (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a pro by any means).

It's not really a factor of temps and or noise but the fact that I have watercooling and don't utilize it on my high $ video cards...

It's not really a factor of temps and or noise but the fact that I have watercooling and don't utilize it on my high $ video cards...

You better be a little more specific about your watercooling loop. If all you have is a "Swiftech Loop"...i dont think youll be adding two 5970s on to that.

yea seriously from your sig you have a 800D, there is more than enough room in there to watercool plus it will look super sick, if you have the money get some swifftech full coverage blocks, or just get universal gpu blocks and some copper ram heatsinks, but seriously your set up is overkill just do it

Beside it will make the graphic card looks much better without the reference heatsink which looks and the amount of noise will be much lower than having a fan screaming under load.

Well after much debating I decided to go ahead and do it and wow am i glad that I did. I love the silence and slickness of these bad boys in the loop. Please, when looking at the picture, ignore the blue cloth underneath my reservoir, lol. I drained my loop and couldn't find a funnel when refilling it therefore I spilled a little liquid and it was dripping down my reservoir hence the napkin underneath it. Anyways what do you all think?
img00128201008052125.jpg

I believe at one point there was some complications with 5970 waterblocks in which they didn't line up correctly with certain models. I would Google your 5970 too see what blocks work, and of course check out the manufacturer website.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I will just comment that now with the cost of high end video cards and how hot they run and the good air tower type heatsinks out there and the relatively lower costs of CPUs. For a gamer I am starting to think its more important to cool the video cards with water than it is to cool the cpu with water. SLI/Xfire with close spacing even more.

I believe at one point there was some complications with 5970 waterblocks in which they didn't line up correctly with certain models. I would Google your 5970 too see what blocks work, and of course check out the manufacturer website.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The blocks in the picture worked great, they are some model made by EK

I will just comment that now with the cost of high end video cards and how hot they run and the good air tower type heatsinks out there and the relatively lower costs of CPUs. For a gamer I am starting to think its more important to cool the video cards with water than it is to cool the cpu with water. SLI/Xfire with close spacing even more.

I just might have to agree with that now that I'm seeing temperatures on these 5970s...

Did you notice any difference in overclockability after water cooling? How are the vrm temps on a full cover block?

If I were to water cool any part in my PC it would be my video card. I know that my GTX280 responds very well to core lower temps and those hot ass volterra vrms which ATI also uses are the hottest component in my case.

Back