TN, IPS, MVA, oh my...

pvtgoose

Limp Gawd
The way I understand it, the XBRITE lcd is a TN panel, and that's bad for contrast, so how is it's contrast so high? Has anybody actually tested it? The model I am referring to is the SDM-HS94P/B, but there is now, or about to be, a SDM-HS95P/B, which, according to Sonystyle, is about the same thing, 12ms response, 500:1 contrast (how) and 400cd brightness vs 12ms, 550:1, and 500cd. The panel is definately, accordint to that 27 page article up there, a 6 bit panel, as you can see it displays 16.2 million colors, not 16.7.

I like this panel, but there are many people out there complaining that it bothers their eyes, and that is the whole point, for me, to buy a new panel. After reading the article in the sticky, it sounds like we REALLY don't want *VA panels, aka samsung, because their response times are actually terrible.

So, being stuck with S-IPS panels, which one is good? These seem much harder to find because they are in the 'professional' realm. Is the newest coming out NEC screen also the same panel as the Sony/Viewsonic screen? It appears to be so, but it is an impossibly low 8ms, which puts it being probably the same screen as the newest Samsung that is also about to come out.

So, is there a point to all this? Is there a screen out there with proper colors that will not ghost? My referrence for ghosting as acceptable is the Sony panel, as it is the only one I have really seen. It is just fine in that respect, but even just looking at 3d flowerbox, the colors look washed out.

Suggestions?

The quoted contrast ratios for TN panels are often unrealistic. Read some LCD reviews at xbitlabs and tomshardware and you'll realize the actual CR is sometimes twice lower than specified. Manufacturers use alot of tricks to make their monitors look better on paper while in reality it's something completely different. Same with viewing angles. When manufacturers were unable to make viewing angles of TN panels any wider, they changed the way to measure it and voila - we have TN panels with wide viewing angles.

As for S-IPS panels, most LCDs use panels from LG so there isn't really much difference between them. For 19", I'd say LG L1930B is a good one. Or NEC 1960NXi which uses the same panel. For 20", Dell 2001FP or any other that uses the same panel (pretty much all 20" S-IPS LCDs do).

Back