Titan X(p) cooler on GTX 1080 FE

Ej24

Gawd
Out of curiosity I was wondering if a GTX 1080FE could be modified with a Titan X(P) cooler?

I mean, the Titan X has a 250W TDP and the 1080 is 180W so I'd imagine its a more intense cooling solution. I'd be very interested in swapping my GTX1080 FE cooler for a Titan X cooler if it'd give me consistently lower temps. The reference design should be almost identical correct? This is mostly out of curiosity than anything, My GTX 1080FE never gets too hot, but it'd be nice if it stayed even cooler in the same form factor (blower style). No room for liquid cooling here. Both the 1080 and Titan have vapor chamber coolers, but I'd assume the Titan has more copper content, maybe more fins for heat exchange, or something to help it deal with extra heat.

The only issues I can think of is the larger GPU die size on the Titan, but I think the RAM and VRM are still in the same locations. The Titan just has more RAM packages around the perimeter of the GPU package. They're the same size PCB correct? The titan cooler shroud would also have an extra cutout for the extra PCIe power connector. Though I'm mostly interested in the heatsink itself not the shroud. Are they separate? I've never disassembled a nVidia reference cooler so I'm not sure about that last one.

Again, liquid cooling isn't happening. Like I said this is mostly out of curiosity. But before I spend $50 I want to make sure it's not a total waste.

They're the same cooler, only difference between them is the paint and the branding.

They're the same cooler, only difference between them is the paint and the branding.

You sure? There's a difference of 70w tdp between them. And while I don't have a Titan, in photos it looks like it has more fins than the 1080 cooler. But that may be the difference in color.

You don't put a Ferrari badge on a Fiat...
I hear you. That's not the point. I'm after the heatsink not the shroud. Also I'd hardly call a 1080 a fiat.

Found some photos of both coolers. They're not super high res so it was difficult to count but, it seems the Titan has 40 fins and the 1080 has maybe 36 fins. So they're not identical at least by my count. So, perhaps the differences go further?

See if you can find a Titan cooler on ebay? We'd all be quite interested in what you find.

See if you can find a Titan cooler on ebay? We'd all be quite interested in what you find.

There are several. But is my curiosity worthy of potentially voiding my warranty and $50 for a cooler that may not make a difference?

Both coolers are exactly the same. The difference between the two is cosmetic: the 1080 heatsink is black while the Titan X is bare aluminum. The default fan profile on the Titan X is simply more aggressive and faster. The fan on the 1080 maxes out around 4100 RPM while the Titan X maxes out around 4800 RPM. So 55% fan speed on the 1080 would be 2255 RPM while it is 2640 RPM on the Titan X.

Last edited:
Both coolers are exactly the same. The difference between the two is cosmetic: the 1080 heatsink is black while the Titan X is bare aluminum. The default fan profile on the Titan X is simply more aggressive and faster. The fan on the 1080 maxes out around 4100 RPM while the Titan X maxes out around 4800 RPM. So 55% fan speed on the 1080 would be 2255 RPM while it is 2640 RPM on the Titan X.

Thank you. This is the simple answer I've been looking for. I was hoping there was more of a difference than just the paint and fan curve. Well, that settles it. I'll only purchase a titan cooler if I get really bored and want to troll some friends with a fake Titan x. Or maybe just for giggles in 2-3 years when the 1080 thermal paste is passed its prime and I disassemble it anyway.

Back