Tips on selling Retina MBP?

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been thinking about selling my 15" rMBP (late 2013 model), but this would be the most expensive single item I've sold aside from cars.

Can anyone give me any tips or things to be wary of? I'm thinking of Ebaying it, but beyond that, I just want to be sure a) I'm fully protected from scammers or a-holes and b) get the most I possibly can out of it.

TIA!

Don't sell it on eBay without covering your ass. Take tons of photos of the laptop, take photos of the packaging while you are boxing up the laptop and after you seal up the box, require a signature for the delivery, document serial numbers, don't sell to anyone outside of the country, require payment within 24 hours of the auction closing.

With Paypal's crazy 180 day dispute policy, on top of purchaser using a credit card, you should be very careful about selling anything of value with E-Bay & Paypal.

You should ask questions in the Tips/Tricks & Trolls section here on [H].

If you have an Apple Store near by take it there and have them do a factory restore on it, That way there is a clean OS installed without any of your info on it. You can also have them do an inspection and print out of what they see with the machine to have with it.

If you sell locally via craigslist or something you can also just meet there and have them wipe it in front of the buyer.

I met at an Apple Store for a CL MacBook sale once, they were accomodating and helpful, but did ask for an appointment to be made with them. They just want people to be safe. Here in Seattle area the PD suggests meeting in their precincts for CL sales.

How much are you looking to sell it for? I'm actually in the market for one ATM, and my Heatware is in my signature

I sold mine on craigslist as cash only, that way I didn't have to deal with shipping or fees. It sold in a day.

Back