Time to vote for Worst Company in America 2013 (Golden Poo Award)

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
Time to cast your vote for the Worst Company in America for 2013. The voting has already started but you still have time for some of the later brackets.

As we all know, EA was voted the worst company in America in 2012. Unfortunately even with over 250,000 votes, EA shrugged it off and pretty much said "FU we have bagillions of people playing our games so whatever."

I'm hoping with them winning two years in a row and more than 250,000 votes there might be a chance for a little change. I am another victim of the Sim City tragedy and have spent $87 on a game that has less features than it's 10 year old counterpart so EA is getting my vote this year. None of the other companies have personally or financially harmed me this year.

This shit again? Worst company in America is the Consumerist for making this pointless shit.

I find it funny EA wins when companies like Monsanto and Bank of America destroy people's lives.

I find it funny EA wins when companies like Monsanto and Bank of America destroy people's lives.

People with broken lives by those companies are usually homeless, and homeless people have a hard time getting an internet connection to check the consumerist, or caring about it at all.

:p sad but true.

Can some one explain to me why Ticket Master won its category so overwhelmingly?

Gamers are entitled whiny a-holes. I wouldn't put EA in the top 10 worst companies list. Just because you spend 1/2 your day on the internet doesn't make your opinion more important.

Gamers are entitled whiny a-holes. I wouldn't put EA in the top 10 worst companies list. Just because you spend 1/2 your day on the internet doesn't make your opinion more important.

I didn't know that The Consumerist was a "Gaming Only" community or anything like that :rolleyes:

In reality every human being is naturally more concerned about it's immediate well being and that of his closest circle, that is what has allowed us to survive and evolve.

And i don't see anyone saying that their opinion is more important, except maybe you, stating that since what concerns you doesn't concern them in the same level, then they are "entitled whiny a-holes", not that you would change the way of thinking of anyone if you talk like you post.

Can some one explain to me why Ticket Master won its category so overwhelmingly?

I believe the criticism against Ticket Master revolves around how they are supposed to be acting a distributor for tickets but in reality essentially profit from reselling tickets many times above face value (essentially like a scalper) through subsidiaries (selling to themselves in the background). They are also arguably a monopoly and so have unfair leverage via their position.

Just wondering, but is that due to people not knowing how to use credit cards/knowing how much money they have on their account vs what they are spending or are the banks somehow just screwing them over?

I'm curious since it seems like tons of people in the US have no idea how to budget. You can't buy an expensive Mercedes with an income of $40k when you have 5 children! :p

And it is surprising EA keeps winning, must be a poll mostly voted on by gamers.

Just wondering, but is that due to people not knowing how to use credit cards/knowing how much money they have on their account vs what they are spending or are the banks somehow just screwing them over?

I'm curious since it seems like tons of people in the US have no idea how to budget. You can't buy an expensive Mercedes with an income of $40k when you have 5 children! :p

And it is surprising EA keeps winning, must be a poll mostly voted on by gamers.

It goes both ways. On one hand, going into debt makes you a debt slave, you're at the mercy of the CC companies, so it's somewhat your own fault. (I say this being in this boat myself.)

On the other hand, they're incredibly sophisticated at ways of screwing you over. For example, prior to the financial crisis I had very high limits on my cards, that I didn't use all of, and a high credit score. When the crisis hit, all the banks freaked out and started axing everyone's unused limits, even if you had been their customer over a decade. My score went from the mid-high 700s, to high 500s, through no action of my own - simply because all my card issuers decreased my credit limits to whatever I had outstanding on my cards at the time. Thus, my credit usage percentage went from something like 25% to 100%.

Overdraft fees were another one, although this recently changed. Say you were out on the weekend and made several purchases for groceries. You know your mortgage is going to post, but it's only 1 transaction that will OD your account, so one fee. But instead, they would post the mortgage first, and then hit you with a fee for every small transaction. I could go on, but it gets to more General Mayhem than General Gaming. ;)

Thank you limitedaccess.

If anything, I enjoy the discussion these rankings produce, as I get to learn from others about companies and practices I would not think of looking at on my own.

"We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

Awards and reviews paid by?

Consumerist started off as a legit place for people to voice their concerns with bad business. It's now (now being used loosley and relatively to a non-specific point in time) become a soap box for people to whine over anything and everything, it's an irrelevant blog full of nonsense and some entitled suburbanite's wet dream of an attention seeking circle jerk.

It has nothing to do with that.

Here are just a few examples.
http://consumerist.com/2010/10/08/bank-of-americas-greatest-foreclosure-fck-ups/

Oh come on now. Just because Mansanto got someone to slip in an anonymous amendment (why is that possible? blew my mind) to a bill that would make it illegal for the FDA to prevent him from selling genetically modified food, doesn't make him a bad guy or it a bad company.

/sarcasm

Bank of America speaks for itself. Their fees have fees.

This shit again? Worst company in America is the Consumerist for making this pointless shit.

What? One, they do it because it's fun for the reader. It's set up to coincide with March Madness (hence the bracket theme). Two, it provides a decent metric of what the internet-crowd views as being a horrible company. It costs you nothing to vote but your time, so if you don't like it, certainly you don't have to partake.

The majority of us do enjoy it though. :p :)

What? One, they do it because it's fun for the reader. It's set up to coincide with March Madness (hence the bracket theme). Two, it provides a decent metric of what the internet-crowd views as being a horrible company. It costs you nothing to vote but your time, so if you don't like it, certainly you don't have to partake.

The majority of us do enjoy it though. :p :)

Maybe he works at EA? :D

Pretty sure if Capcom was based in the United States, it would earn top spot. Let's not forget that they were some of the first to release "optional," pay-more-for-shit-that-should-have-been-there-in-the-first-place DLC ALONG WITH THE RETAIL GAME. Hell, look at Super Street Fighter IV, look at Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Even with the DLC characters, MVC3 still has less characters than MVC2. Capcom is just as bad, and if not, worse, than EA. In my opinion though, because I actually cared about Capcom's franchises.

Back