Time to move on from my i7-860?

Dodgerpro

Limp Gawd
I just recently bought a 1440p monitor and was wondering if it was time for me to upgrade to a new pc or if possible add another GTX 680. It's mainly a pc for gaming (WoW, StarCraft, ect). If I could get away with just adding another GTX680 for another couple years of gaming that would be awesome.

My current rig
i7-860
EVGA p55 FTW mobo
GTX 680 2GB
8GB RAM
Corsair 700Watt PSU

Last edited:
Your system looks pretty solid to me. I'd recommend making the jump to 16GB of memory though.

If your budget can handle a second GTX 680, go for it xD

I don't think that it'll bottleneck the system. It's still a hell of a processor, all these years later.

You'd see a good improvement by adding an SSD and upgrading your memory.

You have a solid system. Sure, you can overhaul the entire system, and spend a hell of a lot of money doing so. To me at least, an overhaul ain't worth the money.

I agree on the SSD if you don't already have one. \
My 680 crushes pretty much any game I've thrown at it to date at 1080, but I think the 1440 might make it show its age on newer titles especially if you plan to run max settings on everything.

I'm not a huge fain of air cooled sli (the noise irritates me), but if you're ok with the fan noise, a used 680 will be super cheap and easily tide you over for another year or two. Only your day to day would justify a ram upgrade. For most, if you close all your background crap before loading a big title, 8gb is plenty. I'm lazy and prefer to not close my 20 chrome tabs so I had to bump up just a little. :)

Yeah, I'm already running off a SSD. I'm glad to hear that my i7-860 is still holding strong, ill probably do some slight OC'ing soon. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back