time to buy ram help

holinger

Limp Gawd
Ok, so currently I have 4 gb of g-skill ram, and now that I have windows 7, I'd like to fill in those empty ram slots. If possible I'd like to stick with g-skill just to keep it matching, but i think i'd like to bump up to1066.. . . i'm not looking for a complete match (such as same color) so whichever is the best that g-skill has that my stuff can handle

my current ram:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

my motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

Unless you're planning to OC, just go by whatever's cheapest with the latency you want. Run MemTest for a couple days to suss out any real problems, and if nothing turns up you're golden.

If you want to do some heavy OC work, Corsair or OCZ are my personal favorites though likely there are others. I tend toward brand loyalty after being suitably impressed by a product.

If I was going to OC I would see how those 2 sticks handle it. I would probably sell those 2 sticks and go with 2 sticks of Corsair or OCZ as mentioned above. G.Skill makes some nice 1066 sticks. I am using OCZ and like them a lot. I wouldn't try mixing them with the 2 sticks you have though.

The second set is better.
Your problem is that your current set probably won't run 1066 5-5-5. Buying a better second set is really a waste since it will downclock to the slower speed. You should either buy another set of what you have or sell them and buy two sets of better RAM.

a friend of mine was able to overclock his back up to speed though, so I figured with this ram only being a tiny bit more expensive than my current i might as well give it a try.

unless of course bumping them up to 1066 isn't going to give me all to much of an upgrade???? if thats true than I'll just keep them 800

a friend of mine was able to overclock his back up to speed though, so I figured with this ram only being a tiny bit more expensive than my current i might as well give it a try.

unless of course bumping them up to 1066 isn't going to give me all to much of an upgrade???? if thats true than I'll just keep them 800

Those sticks won't do 1066. GSkill is notorious for tightly binning their ICs. If those ICs could do 1000 or 1066, they would be in a different set.

Those sticks won't do 1066. GSkill is notorious for tightly binning their ICs. If those ICs could do 1000 or 1066, they would be in a different set.

i dont get this

so why do they say 1066? a friend of mine bought reapers that were supposed to run at 1066 and he couldnt get them there

yeah i heard about those gskill that are labels 1066 but only run stock at 800mhz and won't go to the full 1066. what is up with that.

OP meaning...

yeah i heard about those gskill that are labels 1066 but only run stock at 800mhz and won't go to the full 1066. what is up with that.

OP meaning...

The OP has 800 GSkills.
Let me be clear. GSkill makes very good quality products and they perform as advertised. They are reliable and their RMA service is also quite good.
What is different about GSkill is their marketing approach. Lower prices, no rebates, and sticks that perform EXACTLY as labeled.
Unlike most of the top end vendors (Corsair, Mushkin, OCZ, etc...) there should be no expectation of their product exceeding specification. The other vendors usually allow some OCability and sometimes a lot of it. Not GSkill. If the ICs can be sold in a higher set, they usually are.
It's not better or worse, just different.

if you were to overclock say ddr-800 4-4-4-12 at 1.8-1.9 volts. what would be the timings then 5-5-5-15 at 2.0v?

they all vary i know but if you increase voltage and timings go UP is that good?

if you were to overclock say ddr-800 4-4-4-12 at 1.8-1.9 volts. what would be the timings then 5-5-5-15 at 2.0v?

they all vary i know but if you increase voltage and timings go UP is that good?

Only if speed goes up also. Remember, with most Intel chipsets, speed increases performance. 5-5-5 1066 will usually beat 4-4-4 800.
By the way, 2x2GB OCZ LV 1066 Platinum are on sale at Amazon for $42 shipped! http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-PC2-8500-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247584970&sr=1-2
These are the same ICs used in the 1200 Blades and should hit 1150-1200 MHz pretty easily.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back