Time to assemble my new birthday build.

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: QNIX QX2710 Evolution II Matte 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Wired Laser Mouse
Optical Drive: LG GP60NB50 External DVD Rewriter
Speakers: Genius GX Gaming SW-G5.1 3500
Total: ~$2797.46

My%20PC.jpg

FINALLY!!!! After nearly a decade, I have built a new gaming PC. I'll post my previous specs, but to give a hint, it was a Pentium [email protected] | 512MB RDRAM | ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

Need to catch up on my gaming backlog BIG TIME.

So I begin to get things together for my picture and realize I'm short a man. I FORGOT TO ADD MY CPU COOLER TO MY CART!!!!

Had to drive to Best Buy and pick up what was originally on my list, but had to do due to budgeting. So pissed.

Then I realize I don't have a Windows 10 Pro I had planned on getting from someone. *sigh*

I guess I can at least put it together.

I have a list of future upgrades. I'll post it here later. Eager to start putting this together.

Got any tips???

Bless the gaming gods that I don't have any DOA/defective parts.

Side note: so weird getting used to a new form format. I like it though.

EDIT: OMG, I forgot how scary installing the CPU is. So much pressure on the bar. And it scrapes the edge of the CPU metal top a touch when the frame comes down and presses on it. That's going to give me a nightmare!!!

Last edited:
Still working on it. Got half way and got tired so went to sleep for a few. Everything is hooked up but the monitor and some wiring.

I noticed that one of the fins on the GPU is loose. Nothing that will kill it I don't think, but should I do something about it? It looks like the connector that connects the fins to each other popped loose and the fin a sort of bent.

Still working on it. Got half way and got tired so went to sleep for a few. Everything is hooked up but the monitor and some wiring.

I noticed that one of the fins on the GPU is loose. Nothing that will kill it I don't think, but should I do something about it? It looks like the connector that connects the fins to each other popped loose and the fin a sort of bent.
Pic of that?

Side note: just remember that arctic silver paste is more electrically conductive than a majority of other pastes. So make sure it goes where it is supposed to any not anywhere else :)

And honestly the paste that comes on the corsair coolers works pretty damn well compared to the crap that used to come on most pre-applied tims.

I used the wrong screw things and the CPU heatsink thumb screw things didn't fit and I had to start over on the thermal paste. I bought the paste as a backup. Good thing I did cause I know I shouldn't try resetting the heatsink by lifting up and trying again.

Never used this kind of keyboard before. Keep hitting the wrong keys. Still working on drivers and software. My monitor has bleeding issues but I don't really care. This is such a massive improvement in ALL areas it doesn't bother me. There are some mods I can try once I buy my new future upgrade monitor that's supposed to fix it.

I keep hitting the right mouse button too. So sensitive. Probably will adjust to it over time.

Back