Time for new hardware

Rooble91

Secret Santa Lame Gifter
Hello all. For the most part, I built my computer six years ago, and it is clearly getting to the point where games are becoming a struggle to run on anything more than low. It is about time I get back to the modern age once again. I am quite out of the loop hardware wise, and would like some suggestions.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming and web browsing. GTA is probably the most taxing game I play currently. And I anticipate JC3 will be just as bad for me, as well as most modern AAA games have become for me.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Would like to keep around $1000 before taxes/shipping
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
San Jose, CA 95110
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Mobo, RAM, video card
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have a Corsair TX 750W PSU, Samsung 840 500gb SSD, Samsung F3 1TB, WD 320GB, and a case (Lian Li PC-9F).
6) Will you be overclocking?
Unlikely
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Currently 1920x1200 @ 28"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Few weeks, maybe.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Nothing specific needed
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Have Windows 7 64bit

You probably can get by with a 16GB Ram upgrade and a GPU upgrade like a 980Ti, and get back in the game quick.

And then while you're lookin for a good deal on a new mobo and CPU you can be gaming pretty decently.

My suggestion.. Good luck..

But if your looking at upgrading you may want to consider upgrading your windows. Windows 7 has been having some problems on the new 170 chipsets. If you want to spend about 100 more over your budget you could get a 980ti.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.59 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($489.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $958.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 18:00 EST-0500

But like the previous poster said I would think about just upgrading your GPU now and save just a little bit and then upgrade everything else, that way you could slide into a better Mobo with usb 3.1c and you could go with an m.2 pcie os ssd.

The only change i'd make from Riouken's list is going for 8 gb ddr4 kit instead of 16 and with the remaining $$ choosing a better mobo. Everything else is on point.

OP, do you have access to a Microcenter and/or Fry's?

I think I would prefer to upgrade everything in one go. With that, I am willing to flex my budget a bit.

The only change i'd make from Riouken's list is going for 8 gb ddr4 kit instead of 16 and with the remaining $$ choosing a better mobo. Everything else is on point.

This is what I was thinking changing mobo/RAM to:

ASRock Z170 Extreme4
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB DDR4 2800

This would be the complete build $1080.83

OP, do you have access to a Microcenter and/or Fry's?

No more Microcenter in my area anymore :( I do believe there is a Fry's somewhere though.

Is the CM Hyper 212 fairly quiet? I'd like to keep fan noise to a minimum when not gaming as much as possible. And what are some good 120mm case fans that keep good airflow but aren't too noisy?

Fry's has been known to have bundle deals on the CPU/Board - I would check them out if it's actually close enough to you.

As for the CM212 - I would go rather with the Thermalright True Spirit 140. It's easily the best bang for the buck in the $25-75 range and for $50 on Amazon you get high-end 140mm rad AIO performance while blowing every other air cooler out of the water. It's worth every penny over the CM212.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think I would prefer to upgrade everything in one go. With that, I am willing to flex my budget a bit.

This is what I was thinking changing mobo/RAM to:

ASRock Z170 Extreme4
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB DDR4 2800

This would be the complete build $1080.83

No more Microcenter in my area anymore :( I do believe there is a Fry's somewhere though.

Is the CM Hyper 212 fairly quiet? I'd like to keep fan noise to a minimum when not gaming as much as possible. And what are some good 120mm case fans that keep good airflow but aren't too noisy?

That looks good enough. Make it so, chief!

Back