Tie Fighter and X-Wing: Possible re-makes?

I do not wish to have my hopes raised only to be later dashed as they release a crappy consolized game.

I do not wish to have my hopes raised only to be later dashed as they release a crappy consolized game.

Agreed. As much as my hopes shot up on the thought of a remake of Tie Fighter, they plummeted just as fast when I realized that games just aren't made with that quality and level of detail anymore. Flight simulators in general are a largely dead genre, so the chances of a developer taking the time and care to craft a game worthy of the title are rather low. It does make me want to build up one of my old boxes with Windows 95 and play it again though :D

Well if they're going to do it like they did for Secret of Monkey Island then I can't wait...

I loved X-Wing, a long time ago, on a computer now far far away in a distant landfill.

Still got my discs in the closet. If any series deserves a reboot/remake, this is it.

I thought X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter was particularly awesome even though it might not have been the most consequential entry in the series.

I loved X-Wing, a long time ago, on a computer now far far away in a distant landfill.

LOL! Indeed. I think I played it on a 386 with 4megs of RAM and a 64Mb HDD.

I'd love to see a quality remake or refresh of this series, but I agree if it is going to be crapped out for the consoles then I'd rather that they just didn't touch it at all.

Can you imagine how much better the graphics would be compared to the last release on even an XBOX360 version?

^^ I have ^^

Tie Fighter was the game that got me hooked on PC gaming. I wore out three mice before I realized I could get a joystick and rule space without looking like an idiot running my mouse across my desk. (don't try this at home - danger) The thing I remember most was how intense the battles were. Tons of ships, tons of lasers, tons of missiles and oh so much shield management. lol

Im betting it will be a dumbed down arcade shooter variant, ala rebel assault, for circulation on xbox live and psn.

Flight simulators in general are a largely dead genre, so the chances of a developer taking the time and care to craft a game worthy of the title are rather low. It does make me want to build up one of my old boxes with Windows 95 and play it again though :D

Not dead genre, they have just gone uinderground and are now exclsuvely a niche market genre. But that is good thing because now we get better quality of sims made by indie developers who love the genre and not big name companies out to make a quick buck and claiming their flightsim game is as real as it gets.

This guy is making interesting space sims and they are not expensive so at least check out the demos.

http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/go.htm

Not dead genre, they have just gone uinderground and are now exclsuvely a niche market genre. But that is good thing because now we get better quality of sims made by indie developers who love the genre and not big name companies out to make a quick buck and claiming their flightsim game is as real as it gets.

This guy is making interesting space sims and they are not expensive so at least check out the demos.

http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/go.htm

That is true, the only way that a remake would be done right is if it's an small studio composed of people who loved the X-wing games and also have the design authority to make the game stay true to its roots as a simulator. Too many great game concepts get ruined by the desire of publishers and higher-ups to make the game "accessible" (read: dumbed down for the ignorant masses), and thus make the most money.

I would love to make an X-Wing game based on the Infinity or similar such engine, allowing for a variety of space and ground missions, and even missions with space>terrestrial transition. Couple that with location-specific damage, damage-affected subsystems, and dynamic space/atmospheric flight models, and I think it could be a pretty good experience.

I would plunk down the cash the re-buy them off of Steam in a heartbeat, despite the fact I already own them from way back in the days, if for no other reason than to tell Lucasfarts that there is a market out there that wants to give up the cash for a decent repeat of the experience provided by the X-Wing and TIE Fighter!

I would just worry that they would try to frame it in The Old Republic, which would take away from the game IMO.

the x-wing/ tie fighter games where amazing. they where more like a simulator then an arcade game. i remember you had to manage your energy between weapons, shields and thrust. you could change shield from stronger front or stronger back.

you really had to micro manage your ship to do well. i had photo copies of the instructions book with all the hot keys and i would put them on the clip that people would put on their monitor to hold a piece of paper when you typed stuff.

i been waiting for a online game similar to these games, would like a game like eve with xwing/tie fight combat. i think i would have to build a flight chair just to play it. get like a old afterburner arcade unit !!!!

Back