TI-83 Calc

Fatal

Limp Gawd
Well I just got one for free took it apart and there was this little sheet of silvery crap. I want to cut a window in the back of it just because I am bored and it would be fun practice, but that silver sheet is in the way. Is it most likely for shielding EMI? If it is it probably wouldnt be a good idea to take it out? Anybody know anything about this or what I'm talking about?

Uh, yea I know the silver thing you are talking about but I think thats just sealing the stuff thats inside

haha..... i had the same idea, cut out teh back and put some plexi in, then rig up a few leds.

i have an old 83 somewere around here, i could just transfer it to my good calc.

Don't forget to add a speaker and backlighting as well ;)

i had plans to mod my calc too, i plan on taking the plastic body off, and paint it grean, lime green. I would paint the battery sheild thing white. Than i planned on cutting out that panel in the back with all the info on it and putting a little plexi there and wiring some leds in it.... all thats left to do is actually doing it!

Originally posted by Grammar Nazi
you joke, but people do it for serious

Yeah, I know people do it. There are a few sites I used to go to, to download games and apps for my calc, and there were several sections devoted to extreme stuff like this. If I had a second one to toy around with, without the worry of losing the one I have for school, I would probably mess around and do what I could with it.

I painted the cover and battery slot cover orange on mine... nobody mistakes it for theirs. Also, painting the whole thing would be bad- can't see the button labels for 2nd and Alpha functions. Unless you're very very intimate with your calc, that's a bad thing.

Word of advice.....utility knife and a calculator don't mix well....I poorly cut out the window on my ti-81...all shredded and retarded...no plexi either....I overclocked it too....poor thing...

im moding my old ti 30 or something. i have cut the window, and and trimming a page protecter to serve as a window as we speak.

the back will get painted black to cover up when i slipped with teh dremel.

now i need to find were to connect leds off of and grab a few white ones:D

My friend did this.. Looks cool and worked great for awhile, but now his calculator is really screwed up. Sometimes it wont turn on, or the whole screen will be black. Some times it artifacts. He has to hit it really hard to get it working. Also, if you add leds, remember if you wire them up to just a few batteries, they will drain faster than the others and you must rotate!

My best guess is that the silver thing is to help keep battery acid from leaking onto the motherboard. I took mine out about a year ago, and it still works fine. I would put it back in but I lost it. Just cut it to cover the battery compartment and you should be fine.

Originally posted by wolfsburged
My friend did this.. Looks cool and worked great for awhile, but now his calculator is really screwed up. Sometimes it wont turn on, or the whole screen will be black. Some times it artifacts. He has to hit it really hard to get it working. Also, if you add leds, remember if you wire them up to just a few batteries, they will drain faster than the others and you must rotate!

this is the kind that the solar panel charges it.

there is a red and black wire coming off the panel but i know if i hooked it up to those it would only run when its light, and i want it to work in the dark.

what about slipping stripped wire ontop and under the watch sized battery?

i wasnt planning in paint everything just un-important space, just put scotch tape over the key lables, than paint it, than when your done paint, take the tape off...:D

My 89 is far too precious to start cutting out. I say mod a 83 platinum edition with some leds, that would be sweet.

i just un did the screws and painted the back that i took off.

its to cold for spraypaint outside :( it froze to the plastic

Well, I just tried to cut with the good ol' dremel. First actual cut on something of value, and I still need to get the corners cleaned/straightened. I really don't know how straight it is. I'm just eyeing it. Kind of dark in the picture though. The cut was where the FCC crap was and some more because of error. I should spend some money on a new camera. No idea what else I will do to this calculator. Depends on how bored I get.
MVC-006F.JPG

:rolleyes: :p

What are you guys using to open these? A very small blade screwdriver and a very small allen wrench work ok for me, but it's not easy. I think it takes a torq bit, anyone know where to get one small enough?

I just used a 1.2mm standard screw driver. My small phillips head screw driver didn't fit. The 1.2mm standard screw driver seemed to fit the recess perfectly for me.

hehehe great idea- ive got a reading week at uni next week and having just got the back off my casio fx-991ms i can see it getting a new paint job and a case window by the end of next week :)

Well I don't know what I fucked up, but I'm pretty sure it's where the display connects to the calculator PCB. When I took it all apart, I ripped the strip that was attached with some sticky crap off the calculator PCB. When I don't press on the connecting strip, there is nothing on the display.. But when I press on that connection strip, it showed a bunch of mumbo jumbo crap on the display. Maybe you guys have ideas, but oh well. All I can say is glad this isn't mine.:D

Back