Thoughts on the Planar px171

Ragin Asian

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anyone has any views on the Planar px171. I don't want to hear bout alternatives. I just want input on the planar model.

OMG, it's an absolutely beautiful monitor. I just recieved mine last Thursday after waiting for a 60 backorder. I purchased the Silver version from Dell a few months ago for $310 free shipping and no tax, but they were put on back order for 60 days and i just recieved it a few days ago. So far i've really loved the thing, it's got a clean look to it, and i love the mobility it has. You can move the screen up fairly high, and then you can put it down so the screen almost apears to be sitting on the desk. It's also easily pivoted and can be turned "Portrate."

16ms response time is a awesome as well, plays great in games and performs well in everything else as well.

The only negative thing i can say about it is that i was a little dissapointed by the viewing angles. Everything is easily readable at extreme angles, but it get quite a bit darker then when your infront of it. My IBM flat pannel has much better viewing angles then the Planar, although the 25ms on the IBM seems horrendous compared the the flawless 16ms response time w/ the Planar.

I got mine in on the same day as SB22. I love mine. I wish I had bought two.

The display is crisp and clear without a hint of ghosting in many a Call of Duty testing sessions. You can raise, lower, turn, tilt and rotate it with one hand, due to the very sturdy (and damn heavy) base. You do have to load a program to actually rotate the display, however. I haven't used the speakers much at all, but they are audible at least :D.

As for support, I believe Planar offers a 2 day exchange in the event your LCD dies. http://www.planar.com/support/return_policies.html

For $400 I would say go for it. Ebay is still flooded with unopened boxes.

I have a question about the Auto Adjust function on this monitor.

Does it not work under DVI? In my menu, Auto Adjust, Horizontal & Vertical Postion, Clock and Phase are all greyed out where I can't select them. Same thing with Menu 2, Sharpness is greyed out.

Any ideas?

I tested that last night. Mine doesn't seem to do anything when I use DVI. I'll have to look into it further.

Originally posted by pumpkinlad
I have a question about the Auto Adjust function on this monitor.

Does it not work under DVI? In my menu, Auto Adjust, Horizontal & Vertical Postion, Clock and Phase are all greyed out where I can't select them. Same thing with Menu 2, Sharpness is greyed out.

Any ideas?

Why would it work when using DVI? All of those options are pointless when you have a digital signal. You video card says, "make pixel x,y color rrggbb", and the monitor does it. :) The options you listed are only necessary when using an analog connection, becuase the digital->analog->digital conversion is usually not perfect.

Originally posted by JBark
Why would it work when using DVI? All of those options are pointless when you have a digital signal. You video card says, "make pixel x,y color rrggbb", and the monitor does it. :) The options you listed are only necessary when using an analog connection, becuase the digital->analog->digital conversion is usually not perfect.

While it is a straight DVI and may be perfect to most LCD standards, I like things a little more sharp.

;) :p

Granted, I haven't used the monitor with an analog connection to see if the options are there.

Ragin Asian

Off topic, but how you like the Raptor drive, did you notice big difference. I am thinking of 2 in Raid 0 but want to see a difference.

well i went from an old scsi setup to the raptor drive. while the speed is amazing i am thinking of raiding two drives also. why? because i can and i am a hard drive fiend.

Back