This is how Intel ships their RMA's....

OP is BSing this whole thing. He has not replied, scared to come back?

Businesses have learned that in the end they make more money with this policy than they just let them go and trash the brand for weeks. Buyers like this will lie if they get mad just to damage the brand. It's just the way it is.

I do realize that. However I think it is fair and understandable that other customers will call out and have a negative reaction to these types of people/situations.

It's wishful thinking but I do wish the rest of the customer base will also put companies on task for catering to these individuals and discourage them to do so instead.

DO NOT DO THIS, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

Intel is already getting fucked unnecessarily for shipping a 2nd chip, why cost them more? Companies always pass the burden of extra cost onto consumers. You may think doing this once won't affect them, but its this type of mentality spreading across the entire customer base that costs companies money.

Besides, there is a poor guy in receiving that will have to doublecheck all those serial numbers and start scratching his head and causing him stress and loss of time as he unfucks everything you did. As someone who's been that guy, its fucking annoying.

This is something that doesn't seem to be talked about much but lets face it there is likely a signficant amount of people abusing return policies because they do not feel their "overclock" was acceptable.

There is a real lack of backlash against this type of behavior I find when its mentioned in forum communities.

And then people like this ruin it for everyone else when companies start to limit or remove their warranties/returns policy. Just look what happened to XFX.

Now I know why our prices are so damn high for these things.

The prices are high because Intel has no competition. These chips are basically rubbish to Intel, which is why there is an Overclocker Warranty available for them. The i7 line is basically "the Xeon reject line" and therefore Intel has many of them that they're trying to get rid of (especially this chip being at the very bottom of the SKU stack). Intel replaced the chip with the damaged box to preserve their reputation for customer service, which is worth much more to them than a reject chip that they have a gross excess of. The cost to replace this chip is negligible to Intel. The shipping on the chip likely cost them more than what the chip itself is worth to them.

Well to be fair this is one of those case where the people at Intel were probably like what this idiot really just send him a new one to make him STFU. Then they chaulk it up as a loss. Every company does this sometimes you know you just have a anal customer and you lose a little money to get it out of your hair. But at the end of the day these types of customers typically represent a very small portion of your client base and as you can see they are very vocal so you find its better to just make them happy and end it.

Vocal customers on their own really don't matter to Intel. Intel did this to preserve their customer service reputation...nothing more.

I have RMAd cpus to intel and amd, both went basically the same. Nothing I got back was broken and boxes were fine.

I used USPS which they warn against since it takes longer.

... The i7 line is basically "the Xeon reject line" and therefore Intel has many of them that they're trying to get rid of (especially this chip being at the very bottom of the SKU stack). ...

This thread is funny but this quote is even funnier... the i7 targets a slightly different customer than the xeon line. The xeon are targeted at blade servers and the i7 at workstations really. xeon are for data that has to be perfect or as close as possible with 100 percent uptime where the i7 are suppose to get every ounce or performance as possible for a set task. They also have registers the xeon do not and vise versa which is the biggest reason you can tell i7 are not binned xeons. The way a processor is grown, is a layer of noncondutive material is laid down and then conductive metals are laid down and essentially grow as crystalline structures into the shapes the layout needs. They use laser to cut a sculpt these at every stage of the process but mistakes happen and at the size they are working at nano meters there is no way to fix the shapes once they harden in place. Thus they can cut certain sections out which result in chips with certain parts disabled and some parts just turned off with firmware. The second due to width of the laser is too long and or wide sometimes.

This thread is funny but this quote is even funnier... the i7 targets a slightly different customer than the xeon line. The xeon are targeted at blade servers and the i7 at workstations really. xeon are for data that has to be perfect or as close as possible with 100 percent uptime where the i7 are suppose to get every ounce or performance as possible for a set task. They also have registers the xeon do not and vise versa which is the biggest reason you can tell i7 are not binned xeons. The way a processor is grown, is a layer of noncondutive material is laid down and then conductive metals are laid down and essentially grow as crystalline structures into the shapes the layout needs. They use laser to cut a sculpt these at every stage of the process but mistakes happen and at the size they are working at nano meters there is no way to fix the shapes once they harden in place. Thus they can cut certain sections out which result in chips with certain parts disabled and some parts just turned off with firmware. The second due to width of the laser is too long and or wide sometimes.

It's lutjens, what do you expect from him?

Intel doesn't have an i7 production line and a Xeon production line. LCC Xeons and i7s come off the exact same production line, with the differentiating features activated or inactivated depending on what a chip is to become. The best (lowest leakage and highest speed) chips off a wafer become Xeons to satisfy Xeon demand. The lesser chips become i7s along with possibly some Xeon-grade chips that weren't needed to be made into Xeons due to insufficient demand at the time. The MCC (medium core count) and the HCC (high core count) chips are made with great care due to their high core count and high penalty for defects. All MCC and HCC chips become either E7 or E5 Xeons.

Wow. Douchebagery and entitlement is a single thread?!

And apparently envy is here as well...;)

Can someone provide pix of AMD RMAs? I would like to be well informed before I make my CPU purchase

:D

Nahh. Pretty happy with my setup. Only reason I want an upgrade on the CPU side right now is the horrible performance of Diablo 3 due to it being a single-threaded game, and instead of particle physics being offloaded to GPU, they are done in software. With my setup @1440p and everything maxed out IN GAME, I drop down into the 20's. If I turn on V-Sync in game, which allows Crossfire to work, I drop into the 30's. It's rediculous.

Anyway, no envy for me :D

Cerulean said:
Can someone provide pix of AMD RMAs? I would like to be well informed before I make my CPU purchase

Packing_03.jpg

You had Intel replace a perfectly fine CPU with another one because the box has damage?
It is possible Intel told him not to use the chip in the bent box and to just send it back. But I agree normally this shouldn't of been an issue and would just be costing them, and in turn us, more money.

Well, kudos to Intel!

I sent them pictures of how the first box came and they overnight shipped me a replacement. All I gotta do is send the first one back. They were very quick to contact me. Great service from them. :D

Thank you for putting the expenses of NOTHING on all us up :rolleyes:

Intel doesn't have an i7 production line and a Xeon production line. LCC Xeons and i7s come off the exact same production line, with the differentiating features activated or inactivated depending on what a chip is to become. The best (lowest leakage and highest speed) chips off a wafer become Xeons to satisfy Xeon demand. The lesser chips become i7s along with possibly some Xeon-grade chips that weren't needed to be made into Xeons due to insufficient demand at the time. The MCC (medium core count) and the HCC (high core count) chips are made with great care due to their high core count and high penalty for defects. All MCC and HCC chips become either E7 or E5 Xeons.

AMD's and NVidia's graphics ASICs come off the same production line. Are they also just enabled/disabled and binned chips, too? ;)

Nahh. Pretty happy with my setup. Only reason I want an upgrade on the CPU side right now is the horrible performance of Diablo 3 due to it being a single-threaded game, and instead of particle physics being offloaded to GPU, they are done in software. With my setup @1440p and everything maxed out IN GAME, I drop down into the 20's. If I turn on V-Sync in game, which allows Crossfire to work, I drop into the 30's. It's rediculous.

D3 is multithreaded. After the first few patches, it was much better threaded than it was at release.

Is your sig system the one you are using to play it with?

Have you tried manually setting the affinity of D3 to only run on full cores?

The memory controller is also pretty weak compared to Intel. That may have something to do with it although it really should work just fine as when it first came out a family member and I played it quite a bit.

At that time, he was running a low end Core2 based chip that was overclocked to ~3.5Ghz with a 4850 1GB card. Your setup should eat that system alive. Pretty sure he was running with pretty high settings at 1080p.

I was running dual 6870s at the time and had everything maxed out at 1080p. After the first few patches, it was way way way better than right at release. Never had any slowdowns with almost everything maxed out at 1080p. My CPU was an Intel 3820 running at 4.8Ghz if I remember right.

I am guessing I had shadows turned to medium as I really don't like super sharp shadows. Everything else would have been set at max.

Have you tried turning shadows down?

Is your CPU running at stock speed or is it overclocked?

Is your RAM actually running at 1866 or is it running at some default speed (1333 maybe)?

I would have asked for a replacement too, makes it easier to resell..

the rest of you need to stop your whining, Intel did the right thing, it's their responsibility to make sure a whole package makes it to the customer from an RMA, and if it arrives banged up, then they need to file a claim with UPS and give him another CPU, which they did. Good for them, and glad the OP got a replacement.

the rest of you need to stop your whining, Intel did the right thing, it's their responsibility to make sure a whole package makes it to the customer from an RMA, and if it arrives banged up, then they need to file a claim with UPS and give him another CPU, which they did. Good for them, and glad the OP got a replacement.
Had this been for an actual malfunctioning CPU, then people would be more inclined to agree with you and more sympathetic to OP's situation.

However...

I would have asked for a replacement too, makes it easier to resell..

The warranty entitles the end user to a working replacement CPU. Not a new CPU in a Gem Mint 10 condition box. Most companies send out brown box refurbs for warranty replacements.

D3 is multithreaded. After the first few patches, it was much better threaded than it was at release.

Is your sig system the one you are using to play it with?

Have you tried manually setting the affinity of D3 to only run on full cores?

The memory controller is also pretty weak compared to Intel. That may have something to do with it although it really should work just fine as when it first came out a family member and I played it quite a bit.

At that time, he was running a low end Core2 based chip that was overclocked to ~3.5Ghz with a 4850 1GB card. Your setup should eat that system alive. Pretty sure he was running with pretty high settings at 1080p.

I was running dual 6870s at the time and had everything maxed out at 1080p. After the first few patches, it was way way way better than right at release. Never had any slowdowns with almost everything maxed out at 1080p. My CPU was an Intel 3820 running at 4.8Ghz if I remember right.

I am guessing I had shadows turned to medium as I really don't like super sharp shadows. Everything else would have been set at max.

Have you tried turning shadows down?

Is your CPU running at stock speed or is it overclocked?

Is your RAM actually running at 1866 or is it running at some default speed (1333 maybe)?

Yup, my sig is my gaming system.

I haven't messed with process affinity.

Yes, RAM is manually set at 1866 @ 9-9-9-27

Haven't really messed with any of the quality settings. I know that my system should eat Diablo 3 alive. I play BF4 @ 1440p with most settings on Ultra and maintain very playable frame rates.

I just haven't been able to figure the performance issues out. It's been driving me crazy. It isn't just a slow degredation of performance. It'll go from 144fps, and fall hard into the 20's. If I'm not locked on vsync and running single card, my framerate is pretty decent, but the performance drop is even worse. It's just very annoying.

The warranty entitles the end user to a working replacement CPU. Not a new CPU in a Gem Mint 10 condition box. Most companies send out brown box refurbs for warranty replacements.

Wow, I'm surprised this thread is still going. :eek:

ocellaris - I would have gladly accepted a brown box... in good condition of course. What I would not have accepted however, would be a brown box with obvious signs of damage. Just like I wouldn't buy a CPU off the shelf with obvious signs of damage to the outside of the box. I would have no confidence to the condition of the CPU inside, or its long-term functionality. So why even risk it?

Like I mentioned before, I had already purchased a new CPU from Microcenter while I went through the RMA process. I couldn't afford to go a full week without a working computer. So of course my intention was to sell the replacement once it came since I would have no use for two CPU's.

So obviously I was upset when I saw the condition of the RMA. There was no way I was going to try and sell a CPU like that to a fellow [H] member.

Would you buy a CPU from a stranger in a tech forum if you saw the box looked like this?

2n99r8n.jpg

Of course you wouldn't. I certainly wouldn't. I would think the person was trying to swindle me into buying a broken CPU. So yes, I notified Intel that the condition of the RMA was unacceptable. Obviously, Intel thought so as well or they would have just said "tough luck" and not given me the time of day.

Unfortunately, someone was going to have to take a hit on this, either myself with a box that I wouldn't feel confident selling (and that no one in their right mind would buy) or Intel, by having to pay another $5 to send me a new unit.

I was completely justified in asking Intel to send me a replacement RMA in proper condition. In the end, I have a working rig, Intel has their busted box back, and the gentleman I sold the replacement to can be confident his CPU wasn't stepped on buy a careless UPS driver. ;)

Huh? If I were intel youd get your chip in a cd mailer sent usps 90 day by foot mail. Lucky you rhey even included a blue box.

AMD's and NVidia's graphics ASICs come off the same production line. Are they also just enabled/disabled and binned chips, too? ;)

NVidia's and AMD ASICs come on different wafers. You're confusing "production line" with "wafer". TSMC can run one wafer for NVidia and then one for AMD. The chips on each wafer have features enabled and disabled as demand and yield requires with binning occuring as well.

Intel can run one low core count (LCC) wafer and then run a high core count (HCC) wafer if that's what they need. The individual chips on the LCC wafer are binned with the best (lowest leakage) becoming Xeons and the leakier chips becoming i7s. Those that become i7s have certain features disabled. The HCC wafer will be all Xeons, with differentiating changes being made to make them into either E5s or E7s as demand/yield requires.

^ There's a winky there for a reason, as I was insinuating that, even at functionally the same process from TSMC, their respective masks and maybe even total metal layers aren't going to match.

You have some kind of authoritative information to tell me that Xeon and i7 processors share common mask sets and have binned/fused parts? Yes, some do, but not all. Nor have I definitively read how those bins are sorted, either.

Back