This is how Intel ships their RMA's....

Darksword

Gawd
I had to RMA my 5820K recently and my replacement came in the mail today looking like this. :eek: The packing material Intel used is some hard crumpled construction paper which provides no real padding at all.

Naturally, with poor padding to support the inside, the box got bent during shipping and, well...you can just see what it did to the CPU box itself.

Since it was left on my doorstep, I didn't have a chance to refuse delivery. So now I'm having to negotiate with Intel and freaking UPS to get this taken care of.

You'd think Intel would put more effort into how they package their processors. We pay a lot of money for these. This really is unacceptable care. :(

35cgy2c.jpg

21am2u.jpg

2dlpw60.jpg

20627h2.jpg

vmre42.jpg

Last edited:
Don't blame Intel...that is a UPS don't give a shit and kick it around or stack giant boxes on top of it issue. That is normal packaging for that type of product.

And that's what's so concerning... that this is their "standard".

I buy and sell on the forums and ship products with sturdy material all around, so there's little chance of an item getting damaged. If I can do it, certainly Intel can.

Looks like UPS did its usual poor job of delivering the package in destroyed condition. The box didn't "get bent during shipping". That damage is from being crushed. A double corrugated box may have stood up to the abuse better, but whatever was in that box would have been crushed if the paper was replaced by shipping peanuts or air bags. That's just really poor handling of packages.

Soooo.. is the processor actually damaged? My guess is that it is fine. Not like it is something that is super fragile.

Also doesn't look like the clam-shell the CPU is in is damaged.

Looks like you just missed the UPS man, he dropped it off at 5:42pm

Does it work? If it does, your rma is complete. if it doesnt, then you can post those pictures and create a thread about it on hardforums.com...oh wait...you did the opposite.

The CPU box isn't heavy, and the processor is pretty secure inside it. Crumpled paper seems more than enough.

Intel shipped me a 3930k the same way and it survived (although my box was nowhere near as dented as yours). I wrapped the chip I was RMAing in the same crumpled paper, in just the clamshell with no box, and Intel took it back no problem.

Unless there's a great big honking dent on the IHS or something, the chip is fine.

The blue intel box is the protective shell. The brown paper and box is just a buffer for transit. It provided it's purpose very well considering what UPS did to the box. Not typical satisfactory of course, but it survived. If it was hard drives on the other hand I would have sent them back.

The box a CPU comes in is sufficient to ship it. I would easily have no problem just putting a label on a CPU box and shipping it as is. And actually a lot of products now days have plenty good enough packing to do that. The main reason more companies don't do it is because if people can easily see you have a $500 CPU or GPU its way more likely to get stolen. I would try the CPU if it works then you are all set, if it doesn't work you are still covered by intels warranty.

BTW UPS does suck I just had a product I ordered shipped, this product was actually somewhat fragile but not insanely fragile. All the UPS guy had to do was NOT drop it constantly and smash the corners on the ground. The first time the product came cracked on 3 of the 4 corners and about 10% was broken off. The box was clearly smashed on multiple corners. The box had fragile stickers all over it. The second time they packed it better and they still smashed it through the packing. And it had tons of fragile stickers. If you ship big stuff through UPS I swear they mess it up on purpose just to deter you from shipping anything heavy or bulky.

Watch Linus @ techtips beast mode some 36 core processors and pass them around like pocket lint. The chip is not damaged, just the exterior box. Back in 2006 Fedex gave me my cpu in my hand on Saturday morning :)

If the CPU works, then why go through all this hassle? They're not obligated to get it to you in pretty condition. This isn't Apple. We're not paying 400% mark-ups to feel "good" when we open the box. Just put the CPU in and test it. If it works, great.

Doing this just ends up driving up the costs for support, etc. across the board for everyone who uses this service. It's a needless efficiency debate. Use the processor they sent you.

The blue intel box is the protective shell. The brown paper and box is just a buffer for transit. It provided it's purpose very well considering what UPS did to the box. Not typical satisfactory of course, but it survived. If it was hard drives on the other hand I would have sent them back.

Even SSD?

Realistically, a CPU won't take much damage from shipping. Processors that still have pins on them are the ones at risk for shipping damage.

Well, kudos to Intel!

I sent them pictures of how the first box came and they overnight shipped me a replacement. All I gotta do is send the first one back. They were very quick to contact me. Great service from them. :D

24mykw4.jpg

2exwn85.jpg

300zbis.jpg

Well, kudos to Intel!

I sent them pictures of how the first box came and they overnight shipped me a replacement. All I gotta do is send the first one back. They were very quick to contact me. Great service from them. :D

24mykw4.jpg

2exwn85.jpg

300zbis.jpg

You had Intel replace a perfectly fine CPU with another one because the box has damage? Wow. Was there even anything wrong with your own original 5820K, or did it have some horrible problem like a barely visible scratch on the heat spreader?

Last edited:
You had Intel replace a perfectly fine CPU with another one because the box has damage? Wow. Was there even anything wrong with your own original 5820K or did it have some horrible problem like a barely visible scratch on the heat spreader?

This. So fucking ridiculous...

Now I know why our prices are so damn high for these things.

Well to be fair this is one of those case where the people at Intel were probably like what this idiot really just send him a new one to make him STFU. Then they chaulk it up as a loss. Every company does this sometimes you know you just have a anal customer and you lose a little money to get it out of your hair. But at the end of the day these types of customers typically represent a very small portion of your client base and as you can see they are very vocal so you find its better to just make them happy and end it.

Except catering to the "squeaky wheel" essentially is rather unfair to the rest of your customer base.

Well to be fair this is one of those case where the people at Intel were probably like what this idiot really just send him a new one to make him STFU. Then they chaulk it up as a loss. Every company does this sometimes you know you just have a anal customer and you lose a little money to get it out of your hair. But at the end of the day these types of customers typically represent a very small portion of your client base and as you can see they are very vocal so you find its better to just make them happy and end it.

And that loss has to be made up somewhere. Intel is a business, not a nonprofit or charity.

Even SSD?

SSD aren't hard drives

OP there is zero sympathy here for this kind of issue, I know from personal experience.

sometimes you have to let the annoying customers go. let them go shop Cyrix :)

Intel went way beyond what they should've done in this case but since it costs them nothing other than a few bucks shipping and a new blue box.. why not, they'll just put a new box on it and send it back out because from the pictures it is fine.

Selling it as RMA/new in box, I kind of understand wanting a better looking box :D
Some people would see the box and think "that cpu has been abused" and wouldn't chance buying it.

That said, posting a thread with a title that suggests Intel's shipping methods are shit, was a little over the top. UPS would be to blame here imo. We may never know, but I'm sure the CPU was fine.

And that loss has to be made up somewhere. Intel is a business, not a nonprofit or charity.

Except catering to the "squeaky wheel" essentially is rather unfair to the rest of your customer base.

Businesses have learned that in the end they make more money with this policy than they just let them go and trash the brand for weeks. Buyers like this will lie if they get mad just to damage the brand. It's just the way it is.

Doesn't matter what his reason for wanting a good box IMO.

Intel pays UPS to ship their stuff. If UPS messes up, you probably have to get Intel involved as UPS will just give you the runaround. It should be covered by insurance when shipped anyhow.

I prefer receiving my stuff in pristine condition and keep the boxes stashed away in case I ever do decide to sell it.

Now find out which one overclocks better and then send the other one back.
DO NOT DO THIS, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.

Intel is already getting fucked unnecessarily for shipping a 2nd chip, why cost them more? Companies always pass the burden of extra cost onto consumers. You may think doing this once won't affect them, but its this type of mentality spreading across the entire customer base that costs companies money.

Besides, there is a poor guy in receiving that will have to doublecheck all those serial numbers and start scratching his head and causing him stress and loss of time as he unfucks everything you did. As someone who's been that guy, its fucking annoying.

Well, kudos to Intel!

Kudos to Intel indeed. That is great customer service on their part. Keeping everyone happy, including people like yourself that don't know any better, is great. I don't mean to sound too harsh, but at least you know for next time that what you did was completely unnecessary and you weren't entitled to it. At least Intel has extremely deep pockets and can accept requests from the overly paranoid. You will know for next time. Let's not try and make things cost more than they should by costing the manufacturer unnecessarily.;)

OP, if you couldn't afford the downtime not having the rig up during the RMA process then why did you overclock it?

Back