This has been going on for far too long.../me cries

ProXie

Limp Gawd
My computer restarts RANDOMLY. I have been dealing w/ it for months but I have finally decided to do something about it. Last week I went out and bought a 350W Antec PSU. Its top quality so that can't be it, please.

"Windows has recovered from a serious error"
Technical Details:
C:\DOCUME~1\Max\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3fe8.dir00\Mini022005-04.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Max\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3fe8.dir00\sysdata.xml

---------------------------
AMD 64 3500+ ( Newcastle Socket 939 )
Asus k8v Deluxe
2x512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM
2x80GB WDC HDDS
Antec 350W Psu
Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
ATI TV Wonder Pro RE
NEC Dual Layer DVDRW Burner
Antec p160 w/ Window
Windows XP Pro SP2

I thought it was a heat problem for a bit but that can't be it. My case is nicely ventalated. My CPU runs at around 35-40C(Games).

When I am using a lot of resources and I try to use more or I minimize or do something that puts stress on the computer, it restarts.

Whats the deal?! :(

Just restarted again... *screams*

My desktop icons are now disoriented...

Are you certain that the Antec 350 can support the load of two hard drives, a TV Wonder, two sticks of ram, a 3500+ and a dvd-rw drive?

ProXie said:
Anyone know of any programs that can test my RAM?
Memtest86

A friend of mine is having similiar trouble. Well, almost the EXACT same prob infact.

It all started when he added a radeon 9800pro (just like you have).

We suspected the psu and he got a new 450w one. No change. And this is with a les demanding system than yours

athlon XP 2400+
Abit kr7a mobo (kt266a chipset)
radeon 9800pro
cdrw and cd drive
one hard drive
512 meg of spam

All problems go away when we take outt he 9800pro and put in his old geforce2 mx.

So for now, try removing your 9800pro and put in whatever else and see if the problems persist.

I had a similar problem as yours a while back, put a 500W PSU in thinking it was that....didnt help. Turned out it was a faulty mobo. It would reset when the comp was under load, like burning CDs, transferring stuff over the network. once i got a new mobo, i put the old 250W back in (was only an Athlon 1700) and its worked fine ever since.

So maybe look at your mobo. If possible try a different one, or else try recreating your specs on a similar system which might be easier to see which component, as you add them one at a time is the one thats pushing it over the edge.

That really sucks. I wonder if I call up Asus they will have some sort of way to test it out? Its a fairly new mobo, only 4-5 months old.

yeah well this comp of mine was doing it from the word go. I never really found a way to test it that showed up the fault, or a way to fix it. In fact beyond the realisation it was the mobo, i never really narrowed it down further heh. Thats not really helpfull to you though is it. heheh.

...I forgot to mention that my mate's mobo is also an Asus...

Makave7i Tha Don said:
ok, this may sound dumb, but have you done a virus scan?

Could be it

/me recommends the new MS anti spyware

Picked up 3 trojans, two trojan dl'ers, and 1 keylogger that AVG, norton 2005, and kapersky didnt find. all were fully updated.

I'd just put this system together> P4-3.2c, Aopen AX4SPE-MaxII, a gig of Ballistix & x800pro vivo........the event viewer showed the system was rebooting from a 'bugcheck' & the addresses were always different. After a couple days of not being able to track down a software problem I went into the BIOS and made 2 changes> the ram timings were set pretty loose by default so I changed it to 2,2,2,5 1T ....secondly I disabled write cache for the drives.....rebooted, went into the properties of each WD hdd and unchecked the box 'enable write cache'...

system hasn't rebooted [on its own] since....

That's how I fixed this one, yours might be different.

Antec Neo480 & win2k sp4 & 2 WD BB400... :)

demografik said:
350 watts is nowhere near enough for your setup..

Agreed. I had to throw a 420W Enermax in my backup tower after throwing in a 9800XT caused it to stop booting altogether... and that system in only a 2500+ with 1GB of generic DDR

Its not the watts, its the amps on the 12v rails and the stability.

If you had a true-power series instead of their smartpower series you would be fine.

Check out the first sticky for selecting a PSU that works well and fits your budget.

Read the other sticky, the "watts dont mean jack" one.

Shuttle's 240 watt'er will handle all that. Its just better designed.

Just a thought really, but how is the restart switch doing down there? Could it be freaking out or something when you're not looking, perhaps not connectig well with the MB?

Bullitt said:

If you had a true-power series instead of their smartpower series you would be fine.

Check out the first sticky for selecting a PSU that works well and fits your budget.

Read the other sticky, the "watts dont mean jack" one.

Shuttle's 240 watt'er will handle all that. Its just better designed.

QFT.

It's most likely your memory. Bump your CPU and DIMM voltages a little bit and see if it helps any.

Bullitt said:

Yeah, but you can pretty much guess ampage based on brand name and wattage in most cases. For instance, I'm guessing his 350w Antec is around 12-14a on the 12v rail.

Make sure all your Nvidia drivers have been removed as well. It is my experience that when putting an ATI into a former Nvidia rig ... you will run into all sorts of problems .... going the other way I have never had problems tho.

demografik said:
350 watts is nowhere near enough for your setup..

Yes it is. :rolleyes:

It depends more on the quality of the PSU than the rating.

You people and your overkill on teh wattage. I have a 350W Enermax on this rig....No problems whatsoever. It also has 5 fans + 2 on the power supply. 1 Cold Cathode.

I get the same problem as the OP. However I only get it when I open teamspeak. My rig is in my sig.

I had a 420W Psu before and I had still had the error. I'm fairly sure that this PSU can handle the load.

I emailed Asus w/ the error & my system specs. Hopefully they will reply soon. Do you think I'm eligable to receive a new mothherboard? I purchased it in October from Newegg.com.

Asus Support is awesome. I called them and the guy was very helpful. He thinks its the RAM.

I ran memtest and so far I have ran into around 200 or so problems? There are so many problems that I have to sit her and click 'ok' for an hour in order for it to continue.

Is that normal?

It's usually either the timings aren't set right, it's clocked too high, or there isn't enough voltage (or some other power problem). Make sure it's running at 2-3-3-7 @200mhz (DDR 400) first of all.

EDIT: Can you borrow some RAM from someone to try?

I don't have access to any other DDRAM.

Where can I check the voltage/timing of my RAM?

Thanks

ProXie said:
I don't have access to any other DDRAM.

Where can I check the voltage/timing of my RAM?

Thanks

You can generally check it in the BIOS, look for the Hardware Monitor section for voltage. Or if you got any overclocking utilities with your motherboard one of them will probably show it to you.

EDIT: You can of course set the voltage and timings in your BIOS as well.

I can't find any of that in my bios. I have looked in various places. Is there a program I can download that will tell me this information?

Thanks

ProXie said:
I can't find any of that in my bios. I have looked in various places. Is there a program I can download that will tell me this information?

Thanks

SiSoft Sandra will give you a lot of good info. So will CPU-Z. Between the two you should get what you need.

Read your motherboard manual too.

ProXie said:

Looks normal to me, only I would make sure you are feeding it at least 2.6 volts. I actually RMA'd the exact same RAM to ZZF just two weeks ago because it wouldn't post at those timings (which are advertised), maybe Corsair sent out a bad batch? Where did you buy them from?

I got an email from asus suggesting I clear the CMOS by popping the battery out of the mobo. I did that and I'm running memtest at the moment. So far, I haven't hit any errors. Yesterday I hit like 50 errors by the point I am at now.

Looking good guys! Any idea why clearing the CMOS could have helped? Will I have to frequently clear it?

Thanks for all your help.

ProXie said:
I got an email from asus suggesting I clear the CMOS by popping the battery out of the mobo. I did that and I'm running memtest at the moment. So far, I haven't hit any errors. Yesterday I hit like 50 errors by the point I am at now.

Looking good guys! Any idea why clearing the CMOS could have helped? Will I have to frequently clear it?

Thanks for all your help.

The CMOS would only affect it, if the CMOS had been previously changed to bad timings.

Ok I spoke too soon. I hit errors.

This is really a pain... What do I do now :(

How can I determine if the RAM is truely bad?

did you tell ASUS you were using registered memory? I don't know why you spent the extra $$ when regular non-ecc is supported?

Back