This definitly can't be good for the future of SED

So I guess that's the real reason Toshiba bowed out of the SED development..

okay, since no SED's have been sold yet, how did that damage Nano-Proprietary? And would they rather just quash the SED technology completely over a stupid spat?

Is it me or are all the corporations in this world run by a bunch of people who act like snotty 5-year-olds who want everything thier own way?

Is it me or are all the corporations in this world run by a bunch of people who act like snotty 5-year-olds who want everything thier own way?

Simple equation really. Maximize short term profit. In practice it is much like snotty 5-year-olds.

Canon/Toshiba were finally close to production. Nano P found an "out" in the negotiated contract. Now they can extort Canon for a much higher price, since Canon has spent multi-millions bringing it to production readiness, they will want to carry through and produce. If Nano had pulled this crap earlier on, Canon would have just walked, but now they have so much invested Nano has them over a barrel.

Essentially Nano is pulling a really slimy but apparently legal move. Happens all the time. Too bad Canon didn't have better lawyers when drafting the original contract.

Maybe they should just shut down SED and write it off. They probably have a ton of IP in the area themselves that they can sell to any other parties interested in developing the technology.

Simple equation really. Maximize short term profit. In practice it is much like snotty 5-year-olds.

Canon/Toshiba were finally close to production. Nano P found an "out" in the negotiated contract. Now they can extort Canon for a much higher price, since Canon has spent multi-millions bringing it to production readiness, they will want to carry through and produce. If Nano had pulled this crap earlier on, Canon would have just walked, but now they have so much invested Nano has them over a barrel.

Essentially Nano is pulling a really slimy but apparently legal move. Happens all the time. Too bad Canon didn't have better lawyers when drafting the original contract.

Maybe they should just shut down SED and write it off. They probably have a ton of IP in the area themselves that they can sell to any other parties interested in developing the technology.
Canon made the fatal mistake by involving Toshiba (who didn't seek the technology license on their own) without the approval of Nano-proprietary. I can kinda see Nano's point because now that Toshiba has had over a year to study the technology.. what is to stop them from using some of the things they learned in their own products while leaving Nano totally out of the revenue loop?

Canon made the fatal mistake by involving Toshiba (who didn't seek the technology license on their own) without the approval of Nano-proprietary. I can kinda see Nano's point because now that Toshiba has had over a year to study the technology.. what is to stop them from using some of the things they learned in their own products while leaving Nano totally out of the revenue loop?

What's to stop them? Patents of course.

That is really what NP holds over Canon here. Not some secret recipe like KFC that anyone could implement if they only knew the ingredients.

My recollection is that the origianl patent holder received a nominal amount of money at the time they licensed the technology to Canon. With all the R&D Canon and Toshiba have invested the succeeding patent holder is now positioned to extract substantially larger sums of money if Canon, Toshiba or anyone else wishes to go forward with the technology. Canon says they are still going forward by the end of the year in their latest press release. Not clear of the strategy here. Maybe Canon just produces the panel without further consideration to/of the patent holder and lets the court rehear the case for the amount of royalty to be paid. It is unlikely that the patent holder would seek an injuction stopping Canon from producing the panels as they risk never getting paid if Canon does not go to market with the panel in a timely manner.

When there is mounds of cash to be made....these things find a way of working themselves out. Give it three months and this will be taken care of.

Back