• CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dR.Jester

2[H]4U
Currently I have a Corsair TX850W PSU. I've been thinking of upgrading it, either the HX1050 or the AX1200. Would the AX1200 be overkill?

The price difference between the two right now on Newegg is a mere $50, which isn't a problem but I wanted to see what everyone here would recommend.

My system is watercooled and overclocked to 3.8 Ghz with a GTX 580. I have 5 hard drives and 7 fans.

EVGA X-58
Intel Core i7 920 @3.8 Ghz
6GB Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
EVGA GTX 580
Corsair TX850W

vgodur.jpg

The TX850 is overkill.. the HX1050 would be absurdly(pushing moronic) overkill, and the AX1200 would be brain dead overkill..

I voted for the HX but then looked at your rig specs and have to say I agree with the above post. The TX850 is plenty of juice. The 1050 would be way overkill. I like to keep my PSU's running below 50% hence my 750 but your rig probably wouldnt be using 1/3 of that 1050.

The TX850 is overkill.. the HX1050 would be absurdly(pushing moronic) overkill, and the AX1200 would be brain dead overkill..

^ This.

Now I can see transitioning to a modular PSU (makes a world of a difference with cable management), however you don't need 850w. Look at a high-quality 600-650w PSU.

Do you plan on adding another GPU? If not, then no need to upgrade. I currently have 4 hd, 7 fans, (2) 6970 and i7 950 on a Corsair 850. You will be okay

1stly, Way too much juice already, let alone wanting a 1200 watt PSU.

Eithar stick with what you alreasy have or if yu really much upgrade how about an AX 850/750? beffer efficency and modular cables

Upgrading the PSU in your current system would be completely pointless.

Truth is, unless you're benching, you're not touching 450W DC very often if ever.. as so, if you want an "upgrade" get the Kingwin 550W Platinum or stick with what you have for now and get a larger Platinum unit(even though you don't need one) later in Autumn when most major manufacturers will launch their Platinum lines..

Might upgrade to the AX850 and help clean up some of my cables. Thanks guys, that saved me some extra money.

Might upgrade to the AX850 and help clean up some of my cables. Thanks guys, that saved me some extra money.
Your PC only has one video card. "Upgrading" to anything larger than a 550W PSU would be a waste of money. If you really want something modular, go for a Seasonic X-560 or Kingwin Lazer Gold 550W.

Your PC only has one video card. "Upgrading" to anything larger than a 550W PSU would be a waste of money. If you really want something modular, go for a Seasonic X-560 or Kingwin Lazer Gold 550W.

well if he wants to waste it have it at it lol

Well I have an 850 now, and wouldn't want to downgrade it. Hell I might even add another video card in the future if the prices ever drop.

Well from your pic, the cables don't look that bad at all and of the ones that I see that are even slightly out of place, they are not from the power supply.

Maybe replace the red SATA cable with a black one and see if you can bundle all the SATA cables together (maybe get longer ones) and possibly get a cable clip to anchor down the rear fan cable. Would cost a lot less than getting a whole new power supply. IDK, maybe its me but I tend to go with the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" rule. :p

Keep what you have and run it till it dies. No sense in buying a new one. It's like buying a new car cause yours is two years old and has 2 mpg less than the newer one, or it doesn't have that auxiliary input to attach your ipod/mp3 player.

Back