Thinking of overclocking my 2600k, how are my stock temps?

Hostile

Gawd
I'm thinking of overclocking my 2600k now that I finally swapped out my launch board for the B3 replacement.

My idle temps are around 28C, Intel Burn test got up to 60C and Prime95 isn't going over 64C.

My mobo temp sits at 31C.

My cooler is a Xigmatek Dark Knight and my case has the following fans:

Front (intake): 140 x 25 mm Blue LED fan x 1 / 1200 RPM
Rear (exhaust): 120 mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM
Top (exhaust): 140 x 25 mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM
Side (intake): 120 mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM

Are those temps good for stock settings?

EDIT: Here is my CPU info:
cpu-z_stock.jpg

Last edited:
64C isn't great for stock clocks, but you can try running a moderate overclock, maybe 4.2, without changing the Vcore and see what temps you get there. You should try to keep it below 75C or so during Prime95. Once you see how it is with that overclock, you can try bumping it up towards 4.5 or so (about the edge of easy overclocking for these chips).

I just let the AI Suite run AutoTune and after a reboot it came back with 4.4GHz.

autotune.jpg

cpu-z_autotune.jpg

Gonna run Intel Burn Test and Prime95 to see what happens.

Yea, that didn't go well. I got a BSOD after about 5 minutes of Prime95. lol

Your volts is to low for your oc. If you look at the cpuz ss at stock and oc'ed you'll notice your volts are lower when oc'ed then they are at stock.

I don't recommend using the AI Suite overclocking because, as you can see in your shot, it overclocks the BCLK, which provides very little performance gain at a greatly increased chance of instability. Just change the turbo multipliers in the BIOS to 43, leave everything else at default, and see what happens when you stress test it.

I put all settings to default, then set my turbo multi to 43 so I'm at 4.3GHz. The cores got pretty hot with Prime95: 88C, 97C, 96C and 91C!

I turned off Prime95 after a few minutes of that and played Skyrim for about 2 hours, temps were in the high 40s but I didn't have any stability issues in game.

I'm guessing 97C is way to high, right?

At that point, the thermal throttling should be kicking in.

Most Core users try to keep temps below 80 C, maybe 85 at the most.

Those temps are pretty high. You might want to look at upgrading the fan(s) on your cooler.

Can you tune the fan performance in BIOS to spin up at a higher RPM at a given temp?

The fan was set to spin up to 100% at 60C, now it's at 40C. Still, it can only cool so much apparently.

Any suggestions for good 120mm fans that I can replace with the existing one on my Dark Knight? Pref something that I can pick up at Best Buy or Micro Center.

EDIT: Micro Center has a bunch of 4-pin 120mm fans - http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966926+4294959112+4294958610

Those Scythe Slip Streams are pretty nice, as are the S-Flex's. I've been using those for a while.

I put all settings to default, then set my turbo multi to 43 so I'm at 4.3GHz. The cores got pretty hot with Prime95: 88C, 97C, 96C and 91C!

I turned off Prime95 after a few minutes of that and played Skyrim for about 2 hours, temps were in the high 40s but I didn't have any stability issues in game.

I'm guessing 97C is way to high, right?

Your temps should be much lower than that at only 4.3Ghz.

What's the voltage showing under load at 4.3? You may need to modify the offset in the bios to lower it or set it to manual. Once on my Asus Gene-z with 2500k the mobo decided to auto set the voltage at 1.67. :eek:

In game the voltage ramps up around 1.24v but no higher than 1.28v.

Running Prime95 it locks in at 1.256v.

At idle it's at ~.98v

Back