Thinking of getting Xbox 360 for my first time. but need some Advice

Gulkor

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey [H],

I have been a long time Pc user since 94, i have always gamed using a keyboard+mouse, no joystick or anything special, We'll BF3 Came out and i am currently saving up for a new Pc, My Pc will play BF3 but it runs on low and it dont look great at all.

My friend rented BF3 and played on his xbox 360 and it did not look that bad, and i tried to play did not do a good job, but i am not use to a controller, but then i got think what if i got a xbox 360 until i got my funds for my new pc and this would tie me over.

I saw targets Black fridays ad and they have a Xbox 360 4gb for $139.99. we'll i think its a good price but i honestly dont know, since i am a pc guy.

i will be gaming on my Samsung 24" 1080P

or should i just save my money up for my pc?

i have never though of getting a xbox 360 until now.

Thanks for your help.
Gulkor

You need a HDD for the 360 to install BF3 for it to look better.

It uses HDD space to install the "HD" Textures...

I would just save your money if you're building a new PC anyways.

As a strict pc gamer until last year. You have the same issue i kinda had, i suuuuuck with the controller. But being deployed I kinda got used to the xbox controller. I love it. Im still not as good as i used to be in SNES, N64 days, but its good. Took me alot of getting used to, alot of dying. now i'm decent, at FPS, etc. Still can't get rid of pc though, ever.
I game on a 46in Sony. 1080p also. Games look great. BF3 looks beautiful.
I thought i wouldnt get much play out of the xbox. But i have got my money's worth with the kids, and what friends i pretend to have. And when the wifey's shows are on, i get to pc :)

Hey [H],

I have been a long time Pc user since 94, i have always gamed using a keyboard+mouse, no joystick or anything special, We'll BF3 Came out and i am currently saving up for a new Pc, My Pc will play BF3 but it runs on low and it dont look great at all.

My friend rented BF3 and played on his xbox 360 and it did not look that bad, and i tried to play did not do a good job, but i am not use to a controller, but then i got think what if i got a xbox 360 until i got my funds for my new pc and this would tie me over.

I saw targets Black fridays ad and they have a Xbox 360 4gb for $139.99. we'll i think its a good price but i honestly dont know, since i am a pc guy.

Thanks for your help.
Gulkor

Xbox 360 Holiday Bundle with HD (Halo Reach + Fable 3) = $299 + tax
Battlefield 3 = $60

Equals... Save money for computer, idiot. You buy those two and you're already back $400+ and assuming you won't buy any other games.

while the above post isnt too shabby thats 360 dollars towards a new computer.. a Decent gaming one is what around 700? atleasxt thats what i built my last one for..

This is what i would do: Snag the 139.99 xbox from target if possible. Then either get a 20GB refurb hard drive (http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-360-20gb-hard-drive-refurbished-used/42322), Use one of the vids thru a google search on how to use old style xbox360 harddrive on new xbox slim and bam! Though i recommend the 60gb hard drive for 39.99 or 120gb 49.99.

A BF3 HD pack capable xbox for $159.99 20gbs, or 179.99 (60gb)/189.99 (120gb). Thus saving 110+ $ for new pc.

Hey [H],

Thanks for your help.
Gulkor

Buy the 4gb, then go buy a used HD from the older Xbox's, most stores have a 60 gig for like twenty bucks. Now take the shell off the used HD and install the HD in said system. Bam ! Your into a new xbox with a used HD for under two hundred. Can't beat that.

Buy the 4gb, then go buy a used HD from the older Xbox's, most stores have a 60 gig for like twenty bucks. Now take the shell off the used HD and install the HD in said system. Bam ! Your into a new xbox with a used HD for under two hundred. Can't beat that.

this +1

i had a launch console, got 4Gb slim, busted hard drive out of the big plastic case, slipped into slot for hard drive on slim console

as an alternative, i know of a guy who makes drives for the slim, you can get a 250Gb one in the black slim case for $55 brand new here (or you could before the Thailand flood looks like he has stopped selling them for now)

hdd off ebay, 360 and xim3 and use kb mouse :) xim3 is 150 bucks though hehe

Now i see your talking about hard drives would a 250gb Western Digital Scorpio Black work, i found a link to put the firmware on the hard drive, i am not scared to to do it this way.

Link http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox360-tools/HDDHackr.php

Unless you guys think its easier to just buy the 20gb hdd from gamestop

It seeems to me the xbox 360 4gb is the way to go, and get a hhd from gamestop or aftermarket hdd is the way to go.

I might have to look into this using a mouse+keyboard.

Now i see your talking about hard drives would a 250gb Western Digital Scorpio Black work, i found a link to put the firmware on the hard drive, i am not scared to to do it this way.

Link http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox360-tools/HDDHackr.php

Unless you guys think its easier to just buy the 20gb hdd from gamestop

It seeems to me the xbox 360 4gb is the way to go, and get a hhd from gamestop or aftermarket hdd is the way to go.

I might have to look into this using a mouse+keyboard.

if you aren't intimidated by the process of creating/flashing your own, go for it, completely safe and worth it as long as you use one of the known good bin files to image it, thats what the cfventure guy does, buys the drive (plus its a 7200rpm, xbox is 5400rpm), buys the plastic cases from china, then flashes them

I definitely think something bigger than 20gbs is the way to go.. You only get like 15gbs of that 20, and a couple map packs/demos/game install it will be gone.

i will use my WD black 250gb hdd and mod it :)

My next qestion is, since i have not been to a store on black friday in a long long time, lol. target open's at midnight at friday. i was thinking i would be there around 8pm or should i be there sooner?

I am going to pick up the following

Xbox 360 4gb $139.99
BF3 $37
Hdmi cable $9.99

5% off also

so around $200 i will get my game on :D

i will use my WD black 250gb hdd and mod it :)

My next qestion is, since i have not been to a store on black friday in a long long time, lol. target open's at midnight at friday. i was thinking i would be there around 8pm or should i be there sooner?

I am going to pick up the following

Xbox 360 4gb $139.99
BF3 $37
Hdmi cable $9.99

5% off also

so around $200 i will get my game on :D

i am assuming you read through the hard drive hacker process fully to know whats involved and what drives can or cannot be used right?

Why not buy a $199 PS3 160gb on BF and be done with it. BF3 will probably on sale as well at that time.

I had the same dilemma about the PC. Could spend more on a video card than a console.

Why not buy a $199 PS3 160gb on BF and be done with it. BF3 will probably on sale as well at that time.

I had the same dilemma about the PC. Could spend more on a video card than a console.
But but ... you can't modify saves and grief people on the PS3 :p Seriously though, that is a good deal.

Last edited:
I'd just save my money for the pc... Why upgrade to a downgrade? When you get your PC and fire up BF3, you'll slap yourself for getting the 360 just for BF3.

But but ... you can't modify saves and grief people on the PS3 :p Seriously though, that is good deal.

its not a good deal when you consider the other benefits of the Live service. The 360 experience overall is much better for the money.

its not a good deal when you consider the other benefits of the Live service. The 360 experience overall is much better for the money.

I'm quite confident that not only I but each indivdual can come that conclusion on their own.

@Nobody_here yes i understand what HDD can be used and what needs to be done, i am not scared to do it.

@RogueTrip I would get a ps3 but its going over my budget of $200, i have a set budget of $200. and the xbox 360 fits my budget. yes i know the ps3 has free online game play and better gpx

my currect pc, plays bf3 but it plays it really shitty, i get around 25-30 fps. its not a very good exp for me. atleast on a xbox360 or ps3 i could enjoy it for a while.

as far as saving up money for the pc, my goal is $1500 which will take me 6-8 months, i cant play it on this laptop that long. i am playing on a T6600 at 3ghz and a gt240m and a res of 1366x768.

so anything will look better right now.

You can pick up a gently used NES for between $10-50 and have access to a better, more rewarding games library. Just sayin.

You can pick up a gently used NES for between $10-50 and have access to a better, more rewarding games library. Just sayin.

Yeah and you will need to spend even more afterwards to see the doctor about your bleeding eyes.

Back