Thinking of getting the Iphone

amdownzintel

Limp Gawd
So been thinking of getting an Iphone for awhile now, but I'm curious on what the failure rate is? I've just been hearing from a few friends of mine that the fail rate is fairly high. That the screens have issues and such.

I've had the 1st generation and now the 3GS and haven't had any "failures". My first phone had some dead pixels because I beat the crap out of it....but really I'm surprised how the hell the phone itself didn't die from the torture...lol As far as hearing about any kind of common failure rates on the screen...never heard of it personally.

If the phone is still under warranty (factory or Applecare) just take it to an Apple store and they'll swap it out from what I gather from others on this and other forums.

Lower-case "i", capital "P"... iPhone.

stuff like that bothers me, sorry.

The main concern about iPhone durability is dropping it. If it lands on its back or the fall is fairly soft, you're fine. But if it lands face first with particular force or on a sharp object, well... It's glass, isn't it?

I use a sleeve case, so while it's not completely immune, it prevents those accidents that might wreck your phone if it's "naked." Also, don't roughhouse the phone in general use to begin with; it'll treat you well if you're nice in return.

I'll put it this way. I've had the original iPhone for also 2 years (come Monday) and it has dropped from my pocket a few times; the phone still works like a charm. No failure.

ok well sounds good, I went to my local AT&T store and placed an order for one. Should be coming within the next week, I'm really excited.

Any certain accessories, hacks, I should be looking for?

Thank you for all your replies btw.

ok well sounds good, I went to my local AT&T store and placed an order for one. Should be coming within the next week, I'm really excited.

well if its the 3GS, i would look into getting a screen protector, but only if your scared of scratches, since the new screen basically gets rid of finger prints, which was why i was hesitant about putting a screen protector on myself, but im glad i did since 5 minutes later i dropped the phone scratching the screen protector and making a little tiny hole in it haha

And as for cases, ive never used them with my 2G, 3G, or my 3GS, since apples build quality is really nice and ive never damaged the phones even by dropping them, besides the normal scratches you'd get from use on the back cover plastic for the 3G.

For the hacks, if its the 3GS, which im assuming you've ordered, there are none yet :p But if its the 3G id recommend you jailbreak it and try out some themes and tweaks with winterboard.

I used a case with my iPhone 3G for a couple months. I decided in the end that the phone (iPhone, so criccio doesn't get irritated with me) didn't need the padding and that extra bulk was more irritating than good. The silicone shell I used helped collect lots of pocket lint and dirt, and it felt like it made the phone (again.... iPhone for criccio) twice as thick.

I do continue to use a screen shield, but I think it could be done away with as well.

I've had the 2G iphone for a year an a half now and it's flawless. I would assume the 3G and the 3GS now days are more reliable! so go for it.

My wife has my 1G iPhone and I used to have a 3G one. She's currently got a pixel that's dead on the 1G phone but other than that no issues with anything. The 3G I had I dropped numerous times, once from about 4 feet onto concrete and on the corner of the phone. The plastic actually held up quite well. It had a few scuffs from the fall but no permanent mechanical damage.

Nice thread contribution :rolleyes:

These are my must have accessories...

Zagg InvisibleShield
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields-o.php
Worth every penny! I had this on my iPhone3G for a year and only during the last few months did the corners start to peel. I called zagg and for $3 shipping they sent me a new one. Lifetime warranty rocks. Great customer service. I already have this on my 3GS... on the screen side it is perfect. On the back I had some problems applying it but I think that is due to user error :) I love being able to throw my keys/knife/leatherman/zombierepellent/deserteagle into the same pocket and never worry about scratches. sarcasm- zombies are not real...

Monoprice car charger / wall charger
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831
I use the extra monoprice gear so I don't have to carry my nice charger on trips. The wall charger/cord that comes with the iPhone was taken from my hotel room so I learned the hard way not to leave anything in a hotel room. The one bad thing about the monoprice gear is that the cords are very short. You can't beat the prices though :)

You just have to laugh at that.

So thinking of buying the covers that you guys have mentioned now and have it shipped that way hopefully they arrive at the same time.

Also yes I did buy the iPhone 3GS ok not sure if the S should be capitalized, I really hope I don't get yelled at.

Also was thinking of maybe getting a bluetooth headset for the phone, any recommendations?

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields-4.php

I think I will go with that, I like it.

Again, Thanks All :)

So thinking of buying the covers that you guys have mentioned now and have it shipped that way hopefully they arrive at the same time.

Also yes I did buy the iPhone 3GS ok not sure if the S should be capitalized, I really hope I don't get yelled at.

Also was thinking of maybe getting a bluetooth headset for the phone, any recommendations?

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields-4.php

I think I will go with that, I like it.

Again, Thanks All :)

Well depending on how quickly you need your bluetooth headset, id probably recommend waiting a little while for apple to release their new one as they recalled their old model a little while before the 3GS came out, and are most likely due to release a new one soon.

i dont know about anyone else but my sister has an iphone first generation and she gets lots of dropped calls. my step brother has one also and he says the same. both are up to date so i dont know if they somehow fixed that with the newer iphone.

So been thinking of getting an Iphone for awhile now, but I'm curious on what the failure rate is? I've just been hearing from a few friends of mine that the fail rate is fairly high. That the screens have issues and such.

We bought 100 as a corporate customer in January, so far we have had to replace about 10 of them. So 10% failure rate for us, none of which were dropped. Most of those all involved the speaker, so ringing and speakerphone stopped working.

We do get alot of dropped calls with them, you learn to accept it after a while. Pretty cool toys if you get it working right.

I am getting a 3GS in about 22 days (have to wait due to company restrictions) so on July 19th I am ordering one.

I plan on getting a screen protector, but no case. It's my first real smart phone, so I am getting pretty excited. What are the must have's for it? I know apps galore, but accessories. Dock etc?

As well I am torn on a 16GB or a 32GB. It's $100 difference, but am am wondering if I need 32GB.

I plan on getting a screen protector, but no case. It's my first real smart phone, so I am getting pretty excited. What are the must have's for it? I know apps galore, but accessories. Dock etc?

A case is pretty much mandatory. You can get away with one, but why take the risk? If you're going to buy at the Apple Store, they have a pretty big selection of cases in the store. We also just had a thread about this topic.

Beyond cases, there's not much to recommend. A good quality set of (A2DP) headphones, of course. The dock isn't necessary, it's basically a space-saving accessory, nothing that's really mandatory. It's also pretty expensive. I have one, but received it as a gift.

As well I am torn on a 16GB or a 32GB. It's $100 difference, but am am wondering if I need 32GB.

What are you going to use the iPhone for? If you like to listen to a lot of movies or music, then going with 32GB is probably worth it. The extra space also increases resale value when it's time to move on from the 3GS. If you're planning to mainly use apps, then 16GB is plenty: iPhone apps are extremely small in size. Caveat: turn by turn direction apps are weighing in at around 1.5GB, so keep that in mind if you plan to buy one.

With a new phone you'll get a standard 1 year apple warranty. If you have any of these issue, you can just drop by your local apple store and they're really good about exchanging on the spot for issues that aren't caused by you (dropping it, etc). I had a few tiny small cracks on my iPhone 3G 16gb (white) and brought it in, they replaced it on the spot.

I am getting a 3GS in about 22 days (have to wait due to company restrictions) so on July 19th I am ordering one.

Depends, as Terpfen said, on how much music or movies you have and would like to put on it. But apps can start to take up quite some space also, i think i hard around 50 apps and they weight in at about 1.5 gigs. Also with the jailbreak you may be downloading much more such as emulators if you like.

So if you're thinking about doing these kind of things and getting a lot of apps, id say go for the 32 gig since its better to have extra space than less, and apps are generall getting bigger and bigger now

OK, 32GB it is. I have to wait as a Rogers employee we are asked to not buy one for 30 days to allow our customers to get one first. I get no discount on the hardware, but the voice and data are dirt cheap.

I will be listening to lots of music and video's along with applications, and plan on getting a nice pair of A2DP head phones, just not right away. I'll check out the cases on apple.ca and see.

Thanks for the recommendations.

The iPhone is good; I like mine. The reception and typing is not as good as, say, a Blackberry Bold or the new Curve, and the multitasking and features are considerably less than say, the Palm Pre. However, overall, it is the most polished user experience you will find in a phone. There is no perfect phone out right now, but the iPhone is definitely quite good and you will not have buyer's remorse. Failure rate tends to be the highest among smartphones according to one of my friends who works for AT&T, but I have had no problems with mine and Apple tends to be very good about replacing phones.

alright got my iPhone and it is amazing! Everything is working, no fire.

Have a question though:

So I bought the 3GS

How can you get Flash player to work with the iPhone

Basically I want to try and get hulu to work on my phone. Youtube works, but would be really cool if hulu worked, more or less for shits n' giggles.

Thanks!

Also will be buying a case and screen for it asap.

No flash on the iPhone, and I think that's a good thing. Flash runs like shit on computers and would kill battery life.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

so once again I got my iPhone, but now I'm a little confused.

how come when someone sends me an image or video I can't recieve it?

It links me to..
viewmymessage.com and then I have to put in a username and password and yes its given. It doesn't say that the username or password is incorrect it just says:

Failure encountered during view message

Why do I have to login just to see a picture first of all and secondly why does it not work? If I use my firefox browser on my pc it will login just fine.

Is this really the MMS thing that AT&T was talking about for iPhone users? That apparently jesus and AT&T hate pictures?

If the failure rate on an iPhone is fairly high, then 1 of out every .8 360's are faulty.

I have had all 3 Generations iPhone and havent had any hardware problems with them at all.

With the price of an 8GB 3G being $99, its worth taking a shot @ it. Im sure you've spent more than $99 that in the end was a lesser quality product that the price asked.

If you plan on getting one, unless you plan on staying with your official carrier, get the phone TODAY. 3.1 will kill the current unlock (ultrasn0w), and is going to be released very soon. (already released beta to developers)

Back