Thinking of getting a 6990

MADOGRE

Limp Gawd
Ok guys I am about to pull the trigger on a 6990.
First Question will it fit in my Silver stone Raven 2 Evo, from the looks of it I have just over 12"(304mm) to the 180mm fan.
Second question will my BFG ES800 be enough power its 2 years old.
Third question which brand, SAPPHIRE, VisionTek, HIS or PowerColor, I have not had an ATI card sense my 9700Pro AGP card back in the day.

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

Ok guys I am about to pull the trigger on a 6990.
First Question will it fit in my Silver stone Raven 2 Evo, from the looks of it I have just over 12"(304mm) to the 180mm fan.
Second question will my BFG ES800 be enough power its 2 years old.
Third question which brand, SAPPHIRE, VisionTek, HIS or PowerColor, I have not had an ATI card sense my 9700Pro AGP card back in the day.

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.

PSU should be fine
Brand... XFX if you wanna wait. after that HIS then Sapph. (My opinion XFX because of Warranty)

Next Do you REALLY Need a 6990?? Because Honestly the Only advantages to it over 2x 6970s are

1) 5x1p
2) Single Slot VS 2 Slots taken
3) Uses a little less power.

The Power usage would be a selling point to most over 6970s, Just asking Do you REALLY NEED it?

Unless you plan on playing everything at max settings on a 2560x1600 monitor or run Eyefinity there is absolutely no reason to buy a 6990 or 590 aside from bragging rights or if you have money to burn and seriously have absolutely nothing better to do with it. If that's the case...well...then send it my way. :D

If you're still determined to buy one, I'd also buy a new PSU just in case. The quality behind PSUs have gone up significantly in the past two years and high quality ones can easily be had for a reasonable price. Stability, longevity and reliability are a few things you can't put a price on and when it comes to powering a $700+ card you better be damn sure you have the best for it. As for manufacturer I'd go with XFX as first choice and ASUS as my second.

I guess I should have stated that I already run 3x Dell 24" Ultra sharp IPS monitors @ 5760x1080.
I have a Micro atx MOBO and with 2 cards the top card gets hotter then I like, thats why I would like to go with the 6990 or the 590.

I guess I should have stated that I already run 3x Dell 24" Ultra sharp IPS monitors @ 5760x1080.
I have a Micro atx MOBO and with 2 cards the top card gets hotter then I like, thats why I would like to go with the 6990 or the 590.

Well after looking at Newegg there is only a 30$ difference between the cheapest 6970 and the Cheapest 6990...

So go with the 6990 Unless you want to save 30$ Also I would Use the DP for your monitors that will save you the hastle of getting a Adapter and possibly have tearing...

Also just a Personal Question i thought the New Dell U24s were 1920x1200?? or were those the 2010 models?

Then I would spend money on a better mother board. if you think your top card getting hot is bad, just think about the heat one of these bad boys puts out.

My mistake its the 23" 1920x1080 screens.
The MOBO works great and the top card is getting hotter due to the bottom card covering the intake fans of the top card. With the 6990 this would not be a problem, and my case runs very cool.
I went with the MSI, I will post back after it arrives, thanks for your input and help guys.

2 6970s are faster than a 6990 however it will require 4 card slots / 2 pcie slots. And will use more power. But get what you want! You will be pleased both ways.

Back