Thinking about getting NVME Raid, can't decide

drahte

n00b
I nearly read and watched every media that I can find on the web about NVME raid but I can't find information on real life performance.

I understand that it comes with crazy IOPs, low latency, uber write and read speeds but how it translates to realy life performance ?

If I get 3 X 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro on AsRock Z170 Extreme 7+ board will it be significantly faster than a single NVME drive ?

Is there anyone out there running NVME raid?

Faster? Sure. Will you notice any difference in desktop/gaming usage? Unlikely.

You wont be seeing any xtra speeds in basic stuff like bluefox sayd.. U can see those performances only in things what really needs all that speed.. Temp/cache drives for something what needs speed or any other application what really needs that speed to make your life easier..

It's VERY likely won't even utilize 1 NVME to fullest in a desktop let alone numerous...
You're going to also be disappointed when you benchmark unless you know how to configure IOmeter properly.

You'd be much better off with an Intel Enterprise NVME than 3x Samsung I can tell you that much too!

I've gone from a OCZ 120GB SSD to Samsung Evo 250 GB to Intel 750 400GB NVME and have not noticed a difference in performance in doing anything other than benchmarks. The only time I noticed a difference was going from the WD640 black to the OCZ.

For the most part, any SSD of any type and configuration is better than an HDD unless the SSD is ancient.

Your benchmark e-peen will be enormous but day to day will you notice any difference? Nah. Except in very specific disk heavy i/o applications at that.

I've tried single / double / triple / quadruple raid 0 ssds before moving to the PCIE AHCI and NVME - the only time I really noticed a difference (and just a little at that) was moving from single SSD to double SSD raid 0. After that it was just benchmarks. The one off thing for me personally is that NVME is fast but it seems to boot slower than my older regular SSDs ... FWIW

/shrug

Back