Thinking about a new card... FX 5900

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a FX 5200, and a MX200. I'm planning on removing the Intel card (has 2 megs on it) from my PIII 550 and putting the PCI Rage card in it, then moving the MX 200 to the PIII Dell, then the 5200 into the Pally. That leaves my main box with no card, so I was thinking about getting a new card. I've narrowed it down to the FX 5700 Ultra, or the 5900 non ultra. I have $200 to spend MAX, no more no less. 'Saving up' is not an option, because I have no income. :p Soooo... Are there any opinions on the BFG Asylum 5900 on newegg? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-143-008&catalog=48&depa=1 I'd like to get it because it's a bit cheaper than the eVGA 5700 Ultra (which is out of stock, and has been for a bit): http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-178&catalog=48&depa=1

Which card should I get? I'm leaning toward the BFG because it's got more pipelines, and would probably OC to over 1 ghz RAM anyway. The 5700 Ultra has fewer pipelines, but has DDRII and a higher core clock.

Please don't suggest any ATI cards... Or Matrox, etc. I'm going to stick with what I know, and I know NVidia. :rolleyes:

If anyone has a suggestion on a sub $200 card that isn't above (unless it's ATi), please let me know. I might consider refurbished or used cards, but I'd rather not. :p

Yes, the FX5900np is the better choice. And it seems to OC pretty well too. But I have to wonder, why are you against buying ATI products? If you know Nvidia as you claim, then you must know how stiff their competition is.

If you don't already have Call of Duty the EVGA, I think, 5900SE version comes with a full copy. I think its selling for around $180.

Originally posted by TFR
Yes, the FX5900np is the better choice. And it seems to OC pretty well too. But I have to wonder, why are you against buying ATI products? If you know Nvidia as you claim, then you must know how stiff their competition is.

I do know. I also know that to get similar performance from an ATI, I need a 9600 XT or better, and there are certain companies I just won't buy products from. Most of those companies are making the sub $200 XT cards. Plus, I really don't want to go through the hassle of upgrading from an NVidia card to an ATI card. Ironically, I used to sell ATI products when I worked for Circuit City. So, based on customer feedback, and information presented to me by coworkers, I know a little bit about ATI cards as well...

IMO, NVidia is getting stiff too. :p This might be the las NVidia card I buy, I've been fed up with some previous cards from them. Specifically a PNY 5200. Then again, that was my last straw for PNY... That and a stick of their PC 2700 DDR RAM. Never buying PNY again... They're horrible with RMA stuff, too.

I have all of the games I want to play already. :p I already ordered the BFG 5900 earlier this evening, along with a new Sony CD Burner. :D

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
:p I already ordered the BFG 5900 earlier this evening, along with a new Sony CD Burner. :D

good choice !
my BFG with stock ass cooling does like 470/975 or so. i keep it at 465/965 just because i dont notice any speed decrease and it doesnt give me any shit lol. I havent tested to see if its stable any higher than 470/975...but oh well :p
it is really an upgrade from my ti4200 8x

5900nu is the best choise in the $200 market. The BFG one will probably overclock very well. I wished they had that at newegg when I bought mine.
The last card I had was an ATI 8500 Retail (275/275) and it was a very nice card. Didn't have any problems. didn't have any problems switching cards on the same OS install either. you just have to do it right.

Originally posted by J Macker
5900nu is the best choise in the $200 market. The BFG one will probably overclock very well. I wished they had that at newegg when I bought mine.
The last card I had was an ATI 8500 Retail (275/275) and it was a very nice card. Didn't have any problems. didn't have any problems switching cards on the same OS install either. you just have to do it right.

Where in Oregon are you? I'm goign to guess 1) Newport 2) Portland area 3) Medford. :p I'm close to Medford. :p

Thanks, you've reassured me about this card. ;) Last time I purchased a card through Newegg, I was pleased with it (Pixelview 5200, actually a decent 5200. Outperformed my PNY card by quite a large amount) as well as every other purchase from Newegg. I've been close to clicking the cancel order button all evening because I'm not so sure about this, but I think I'll be okay. ;)

my BFG with stock ass cooling does like 470/975 or so. i keep it at 465/965 just because i dont notice any speed decrease and it doesnt give me any shit lol. I havent tested to see if its stable any higher than 470/975...but oh well
it is really an upgrade from my ti4200 8x

That was probably like me going from a MX400 to a FX 5200. I actually noticed some games played better on the MX400, but everything looked better on the 5200. :p I'm thinking that now that I can turn AA and AF on, I'll get even better performance in both departments. ;)

Right now, I have 2 ATI cards, a Rage XL and another Rage card that is PCI. Both have worked well for their purposes, I don't even install ATI drivers for them. I've never used a Radeon card in my own system, but I did install a 9800 in a machine at school (we won it on Tech TV). I reinstalled drivers because of some glitch or another (It's called a dumbass thinking he can tweak drivers himself) and it was a PITA. Maybe after the next revision of cards has been released, I'll get an ATI card. :) By then, I might have some big bux too, so I'll be able to go all out... :p

Where in Oregon are you? I'm goign to guess 1) Newport 2) Portland area 3) Medford. :p I'm close to Medford. :p

Thanks, you've reassured me about this card. ;) Last time I purchased a card through Newegg, I was pleased with it (Pixelview 5200, actually a decent 5200. Outperformed my PNY card by quite a large amount) as well as every other purchase from Newegg. I've been close to clicking the cancel order button all evening because I'm not so sure about this, but I think I'll be okay. ;)

That was probably like me going from a MX400 to a FX 5200. I actually noticed some games played better on the MX400, but everything looked better on the 5200. :p I'm thinking that now that I can turn AA and AF on, I'll get even better performance in both departments. ;)

Right now, I have 2 ATI cards, a Rage XL and another Rage card that is PCI. Both have worked well for their purposes, I don't even install ATI drivers for them. I've never used a Radeon card in my own system, but I did install a 9800 in a machine at school (we won it on Tech TV). I reinstalled drivers because of some glitch or another (It's called a dumbass thinking he can tweak drivers himself) and it was a PITA. Maybe after the next revision of cards has been released, I'll get an ATI card. :) By then, I might have some big bux too, so I'll be able to go all out... :p

well man i know im not running at a full oc..and i dont even really give a shit...it runs heads and tails above my ti4200 8x so i got my moneys worth. as for AF and AA I always play at 10x7 quincunx AA and 4x AF works fine gives me good frame rates...since i dont stare in awe at my weapon...i could give a shit about 8xAA and 8x AF. Im very happy :)

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
well man i know im not running at a full oc..and i dont even really give a shit...it runs heads and tails above my ti4200 8x so i got my moneys worth. as for AF and AA I always play at 10x7 quincunx AA and 4x AF works fine gives me good frame rates...since i dont stare in awe at my weapon...i could give a shit about 8xAA and 8x AF. Im very happy :)

lmao The first time I played CMR3 on the FX 5200, I didn't really play well because I kept oohing and aaahhhhhing at the scenery, and would drive into things. :p

I'm probably going to find the max OC on the card then give it a few mhz breathing room so it'll last a while. :)

My Gainward 5900NU preforms very well over my 4200 from them. It runs rock solid stable at 480/950, although I can make it to 515/980 without problems, I have no reason to push it that hard. :D

Plays Battlefield 1942 at 1024x768 with all the goodies cranked way up without a hitch.

lmao The first time I played CMR3 on the FX 5200, I didn't really play well because I kept oohing and aaahhhhhing at the scenery, and would drive into things. :p

I'm probably going to find the max OC on the card then give it a few mhz breathing room so it'll last a while. :)

lol...i wanna AS3 or AS ceramique the core and see if i can get more outta it...but oh well :)

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
lol...i wanna AS3 or AS ceramique the core and see if i can get more outta it...but oh well :)

That's the first thing I did when I got my Pixelview 5200. ;) AS3 on the core and home made ramsinks.

My Gainward 5900NU preforms very well over my 4200 from them. It runs rock solid stable at 480/950, although I can make it to 515/980 without problems, I have no reason to push it that hard.

Man, I'm itchin' for this new card now. :D I wasn't really that excited until I got replies in the thread. ;) Like a 10 year old at Xmas. :D

Not that you need any more positive replies here, but I too have a BFG 5900nu it does 450/950 without a sweat. and I am very pleased. I actually bought a 5700u right before the price drop on 5900nu's, luckily it happened in less than 30 days, so I took it back to Fry's and got the 5900nu for the same price, then to make things sweeter Fry's lowered the price by another $20, so I brought in my receipt and got that too! My only regret is my 30 days ran out before the COD deal.

Originally posted by WuzFast
Not that you need any more positive replies here, but I too have a BFG 5900nu it does 450/950 without a sweat. and I am very pleased. I actually bought a 5700u right before the price drop on 5900nu's, luckily it happened in less than 30 days, so I took it back to Fry's and got the 5900nu for the same price, then to make things sweeter Fry's lowered the price by another $20, so I brought in my receipt and got that too! My only regret is my 30 days ran out before the COD deal.

lol Positive is good. ;)

450/950 is better than most of the 5700U boards on Newegg, plus you get more pipelines, so I think that this card is going to be a winner. :p Finally, the one bottleneck on my system will be gone... :D

I bought the PNY card at Frys. Unfortunatly, Frys is 4 hours away from here, so when the card croaked, I couldn't return it. :( Ah well, it's okay because I got a better card afterwords. Ironic that the PNY 5200 and my MX400 died at the same time, and from the same reason (overvolting; the PNY card got a voltmod from me which ended up overheating the core to the point where it just gave out; the MX400 lost a surface mount resistor, that's what killed it in the end).

So nobody Flash's there 5900nu BIOS to 5950 Ultra ?
Come on guys I know you want 500/1000 Stable on stock Cooling ....

Im ordering a BFG 5900NU once I get a refund for my 9600XT from newegg. It didnt work in my SFF, there are known issues with some 9600XT's and Biostars setup. I plan to try and flash it. Then Ill have a 9800XT in one machine, and a 5900NU@5950 speeds in another to compare :eek:

Originally posted by Creizai

I'm not sure I'm gonna do that... All I want is the larger number of pipelines. :p

If the 5900 and 5900U use identical hardware, sure, I'll flash the sucker. If not, I'd rather it last a bit longer... This is probably going to be my last vid card for a long time.

Originally posted by Creizai

I got a Gainward 5900NU with the intentions of flashing it to a 5950. But, right now I have it overclocked to 478 / 955 without any trouble.

I figure, with it already running at 5950 speeds, there's no reason to flash it.

The 5900NU for $200 is a GREAT deal, and highly recommended from me.

Just my $.02

Originally posted by Roost426
FYI The powercolor 9700pro is now 202$ at newegg.:D

$202 + $30.99 == $230.99

My debit card had $208.44 on it. :p

$175 + $30.99 == $205.99 :D

Man, a new CD Burner AND a new vid card... I'm still in awe that I've done that. :p I can't wait...

So, I have about $2 left on my card... ;) I'm going to deposit $10 to the card again, then purchase some Arctic Silver Ceramique.

i have the 5900nu from PNY i have no idea if its specs are as high as the BFG's . i purchased mine for 250$ no shipping and "Call Of Duty Free with the cpl promtion thing they give you when you go there yeah but i am pleased with it i got it going 461/917 no problems at all. :) when i set it to 550/1000 it started showing these blue lights on the texturing every so often so i didnt want to burn her out :D .

Originally posted by zoltan
i have the 5900nu from PNY i have no idea if its specs are as high as the BFG's . i purchased mine for 250$ no shipping and "Call Of Duty Free with the cpl promtion thing they give you when you go there yeah but i am pleased with it i got it going 461/917 no problems at all. :) when i set it to 550/1000 it started showing these blue lights on the texturing every so often so i didnt want to burn her out :D .

I dunno... After the fiasco with the PNY 5200... :p

$250 is just a little much for a card, anyway. I got the BFG for $175 on newegg.com, I found some other 5900nu cards cheaper on pricewatch, but some of the companies had low ratings. :p

is the BFG 5900NU a quiet card or noisy card?

is it worth upgrading from a ti 4600?

Originally posted by zanthia

As for how loud it is, I'm not sure yet. :p

As for upgrading... Man, you're missing quite a bit witht hat TI card. ;)

Originally posted by zanthia

I'd hold out for the next gen cards. The 4600s are still pretty fast.

I upgraded from a ti4600 to fx5900.

I already had more than enough fps to play any game I wanted. But now there's a little more eye candy, like on MaxPayne 2, there are some more effects which I didnt see with the ti4600.

With the prices of 5900 like the BFG 5900 @ $175 its hard not to recommend. But it wont be a huge upgrade.

I got $140 for my ti4600 so the 5900 cost me less than $90 to upgrade to when I got it.

See if you can sell your ti4600 for like $100, then the upgrade will only cost you $75!!

I've had my BFG 5900nu for a couple of months now, and it's worked perfectly. It's top end without artifacting in BF1942 and Aquamark3 is 545/1000, but it's performance peaks at about 525/975. I keep it at a constant 505/955. That's all with it's stock cooling, idle temps in the high 40s and peaking in games in the low 70s.

Congrats on your card, you're going to love it.

Back