Thin ITX options...

crABtoad

Limp Gawd
Hey!

I'm going to be building a computer inside an old radio for a friend of mine in the next few months, the build is like:

Intel DQ77KB Thin-ITX Motherboard
Intel i7-3770S CPU (Can't find the 3770T anywhere online, think it's a myth)
256GB ADATA mSATA 6Gbs SSD
HP AL192AA#ABA 150W 19V Power Brick (unknown amperage, seems like it will work?)
2*4GB Kingston HyperX PnP 204-Pin DDR3 SODIMMs (there's some 30nm samsung stuff that runs at 1.35V but I can't find any in Canada T_T)
I'm probably going to pick up one of those Intel extreme mPCIE wifi cards for this as well, but that's easy to figure out.

So I guess my questions to you all, would be:

A) Is there a Thin-ITX Motherboard that has a 6Gbs mSATA slot?
B) Does the 3770T exist and can it be ordered from somewhere in Canada?
C) Is there some crazy reason why that HP power brick won't work for this?
D) Is there somewhere I can order this Samsung memory in Canada?

Thanks in advance everyone <3

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the Intel 6300n 3-antenna wifi in my mITX setup -- awesome ;)

A) Nope -- I haven't seen any (of any size) motherboards with a 6Gbps mSATA slot yet
B) Expensive as hell, but these guys deliver to Canada w/ free ground shipping.
C) What voltage / amperage / wattage is the HP power brick? If the voltage is what is required for the mobo (19v, IIRC), and the wattage provided is greater than the max TDP of the system (you're probably looking at ~50w max, so that would be <3.0A@19VDC), then it will work.
D) This place says they ship internationally, but I don't know how much it would cost.

Thanks for the information! I don't know why I have trouble remembering that you can extrapolate the volts/amps/watts if you know 2 out of 3 of them.

I think I'll just settle for the 3770S processor unless they become available for a more reasonable price at some point. I'm going to be getting a 160W (200W max) power brick from mini-box.com so I should have more than enough power for this unit. The low voltage processor/memory was just icing,

I'm on to a new problem right now, trying to get U.FL to coax bulkhead mounts for the wireless card.

How did you mount yours Mach? I don't have anything to cannibalize or it would be easy.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

Cool, thanks again. I need to find some U.FL cables that work for 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz with adhesive backing on the antennas. If I have to I'll fall back on external antennas like that site has.

You could always look for a Intel Xeon E3-1265L rather then a i7-3770T. I've seen it mentioned somewhere else, which is the only reason I know about it.

Basically almost the same CPU as the i7-3770T but you can also use ECC ram if you wanted too.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65728,65525

This is actually really interesting... I'll have to look into E3 V2 compatibility for the Intel DQ77KB. Thanks for the tip, hadn't actually considered the Xeon chips.

This is actually really interesting... I'll have to look into E3 V2 compatibility for the Intel DQ77KB. Thanks for the tip, hadn't actually considered the Xeon chips.

I'm pretty sure it's compatible with the DQ77KB. Now that I think about it, I think it was the Intel forums where I saw people talking about the Xeon E3-1265L, and people were using in in the DQ77KB. Check the Intel forums.

edit: here's the link http://communities.intel.com/message/164044

That's hilarious, I just sent an email to Intel regarding inter-compatibility between the DQ77KB and the E3-1265LV2... It seems like the perfect processor to build a teeny tiny computer with. (Unless the 3770T shows up somewhere)

Thanks for the link! Looks like I've found the CPU for this build. :D:D:D:

Hmmm, got a reply back from Intel:

Hello Jack,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

I understand you are looking for compatibility between the Intel® Desktop Board DQ77KB and the Intel® Xeon Processor E3-1265LV2.

The following site that will be indicated provides a list of compatible Intel® processors; by this list being only for compatible processors, this means that if a specific model number is not listed, is because it is not compatible which is the reason why it is not included on the list:. http://processormatch.intel.com/compdb/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DQ77KB&Lang=en-US

The Intel® Desktop Board DQ77KB was not designed to run along with the Intel® Xeon Processor E3-1265LV2.

Seems to contradict that other thread where people were actually successful POSTing this particular CPU/Board combo. I'll re-read that thread after I sleep and wake up. I'm pretty sure they're just replying with "official Intel information" here.

Lack of official support does not mean it will not run, but Intel will not help you with any problems and a BIOS update can result in the motherboard rejecting the CPU.

Back