Thermal Paste

So this is Just a Question on What do you Prefer when it Comes to Thermal Paste. What do you use?

How can you use no thermal paste? I have never heard of anybody doing that before...

Last edited:
How can you use no thermal paste? I have never heard of anybody doing that before...

That youtube link should be conclusive evidence that it is possible at least? I'll test it against with thermal paste. If done right, it should perform better and there will never be a need to replace TIM again for when it gets old.

lol have that big typhoon heatsink. yes its quiet but it only works on socket 754/939 and second i want to slap this idiot doing the video for using the bios temp sensors which mean dick on AMD boards.

the funny thing is he tries to claim the heatsink is heavily modified? really so lapping your heatsink and throw a couple ran sinks on the base of it is considered heavily modified?

that heatsink only works on 754/939 anyways and the fans to slow for cooling quad's. i have the big typhoon VX which can cook quads but what he did in the video's not possible. the base of this heatsinks to bowed to even try lapping it.

and lastly i hope he didnt want that cpu because he fried it the second he took that heatsink off the cpu.

and yes it is possible if you want to spend the time doing it. on every processor you buy. honestly not worth it for the 1 time application of AS5.

Arctic Ceramique is pretty good stuff, it's what i have used the most over the years, completely non-capacitive, gives within a couple degrees performance of Arctic Silver 5 which is good also. If you use any of them with Silver in them just be sparing and try not to get any on the electrical components on the motherboard, such as putting so much on it drips over the edge and somehow gets on the underside of the CPU....you'd have to try pretty hard to do that i know, just sayin'

Last edited:
Always been AS5 for me.

Have fun trying too run without any thermal grease Nightbird.

I used to be a big fan of Arctic Silver 3 back in the day, then MX-2, and now I use IC Diamond. It's super thick and hard to apply right but it's 90%+ pure powdered diamond material which has an insane thermal transfer ability. I'm using this for the foreseeable future until something better that is non-conductive and non-capacitive electronically.

i use as5, but there is that curing time to be annoyed by

and theres that new TIM, forgot it's name

oh yeah indigo extreme. look into that

Indigo Xtreme is meant to be the top dog, but it's not really paste, and it's bloody hard to install if you got a big fiddly heatsink.

If 2-3 degrees difference are important to you, check out the IC diamond 24 paste. It's expensive (contains 24carat diamond) but it's cooler than all the other pastes, including the top shin-etsu ones.

I believe that for intel processors it does not mater if you use cheap silicon or the most expensive TIM. I mean 5C temp difference will not mean much unless your temps are over 85C. For AMD processors I would probably invest in some quality TIM since you need to keep temps under 60C instead of under 95C.

I believe that for intel processors it does not mater if you use cheap silicon or the most expensive TIM. I mean 5C temp difference will not mean much unless your temps are over 85C. For AMD processors I would probably invest in some quality TIM since you need to keep temps under 60C instead of under 95C.

?

anyways... I use ceramique almost exclusively now. buy the super tubes and put it all over everything, dip the mobo, make sandwiches with it, brush my teeth, paint my house, etc. etc. etc.

but seriously, i use it for vid cards and cpus now. i get tempted to put it on my ram/heatspreaders, but theres no point other then to say i did it.

Indigo Xtreme is meant to be the top dog, but it's not really paste, and it's bloody hard to install if you got a big fiddly heatsink.

If 2-3 degrees difference are important to you, check out the IC diamond 24 paste. It's expensive (contains 24carat diamond) but it's cooler than all the other pastes, including the top shin-etsu ones.

It has a 24 carat diamond in it?! HOT DAMN!! :D

Yup, diamond is the best thermal conductor of them all, and it's non conductive :). The diamond in the paste is industrial (manufactured using pressurised chambers) but it's diamond nonetheless.

Toothbrush and a flat piece of cheese :D

Seriously,I'm using the AS5 (included in the Hyper 212 package).The tube is half to two third the size of normal AS5 tube and i still have enough to apply 2-3 more times. :D Then i'll try Noctua NT-H1.

Hey honey will you marry me?
*Girl looks confused* What the hell is that?

Its IC diamond, 24 karat babe.

I started using a sample of Chromerics T660 with stunning results. Dropped my videocards temp 5 degrees celcius. (X1950Pro, HD4850 and HD4870)

I'm 99.9% sure that the only difference between IC Diamond 7 carat(1.5 gram) and IC Diamond 24 carat(4.8 gram) is the package size. :cool:

I'm 99.9% sure that the only difference between IC Diamond 7 carat(1.5 gram) and IC Diamond 24 carat(4.8 gram) is the package size. :cool:

carat is both a measure of purity and mass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carat_(purity)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carat_(mass)

1 carat(mass) = 200 mg

7 carat(mass) = 1.4 grams

24 carat(mass) = 4.8 grams

now according to Innoviative Cooling, IC Diamond contains 92% synthetic diamonds which makes it ~22 carat(purity), i believe. 24(92/100)= carat(purity)

Last edited:
Seriously,I'm using the AS5 (included in the Hyper 212 package).The tube is half to two third the size of normal AS5

Okay. Then I am using AS5 on my i7 920. I just checked and the AS5 is still in the box and I did use it since there is a little on the outside. For my core2quad q9550 I probably used cheap silicon unless the AC Freezer Pro 7+ came with something better.

I've never really given a damn about TIM. I have a giant tub of generic white paste i use for video cards, chipsets, and computers that run stock. For the main rig i use AS5 or at the moment i'm using a $1.99 tube of MX-2.

On the other hand, this thread has peaked my interest in this mysterious diamond liquid.

I've never really given a damn about TIM. I have a giant tub of generic white paste i use for video cards, chipsets, and computers that run stock. For the main rig i use AS5 or at the moment i'm using a $1.99 tube of MX-2.

On the other hand, this thread has peaked my interest in this mysterious diamond liquid.

plus one on the generic paste

I've been using the Cooler Master stuff, since they give you way more than enough with their heatsinks.

Arctic Ciramique for the last 6 years of personal builds for me and the family, never had a problem with it, and easy to apply compared to others.

I used Artic Silver 5. They work like a charm, except they are hard to clean up. Very sticky and messy when they got on your fingers.

I changed from mx-2 to Shin-Etsu X23-7783D i like it alot. using it on gpu and cpu at the moment

Back