Thermal Grizzly Kryosheets, are they worth it - if you can find them?

RJ_ds

n00b
If you can find a retailer that has them that is? Trying to check this out but can't seem to find a retailer listed on their website that has them in stock or even listed. Only the paste which I have but haven't used because I heard its not really any better than noctua paste and you have to reapply every year. Gamer's Nexus keep mentioning it as one of their sponsors, so now I'm curious how they perform.

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/625-kryosheet-en

I find the whole not drying out concept very appealing. I too am curious to try them but like you no one seems to even have them listed, let alone in stock.

rcgoo.png

Thermal Grizzly is probable just using Hitachi graphite pads and marketing them as their own own graphene pads anyways lol

... I heard its not really any better than noctua paste and you have to reapply every year. ...
If you're referring to Kryonaut, it's not my experience that you have to reapply every year. I had one CPU pasted with Kryonaut that I didn't touch for not quite 4 years, and I saw no evidence of drying out. (or pump-out, but I don't thermal cycle my CPU's like a gaming user might.)

Wow this is the first time I've heard about PTM7950. Thru some Googling- reviews are positive. I just ordered some to try on the kid's gaming laptop.

and you have to reapply every year.

That's bull. I used Kryonaut on my old Pascal Titan X without any degradation what so ever from first install in summer 2016 to when I replaced it with an RX6900 in late fall 2021, so more than 5 years.

Pastes will eventually degrade, but I haven't encountered a single one in the modern era that does so in less than 6-8 years, at least in my North East US climate (maybe it happens faster in dry desert like climates?)

I consider it an urban legend that you have to obsessively re-paste any device with any paste at any interval shorter than - say - 5 years.

The only hard and fast rule is to clean and repaste every single time you remove the cooler from the CPU/GPU. Never use the same paste for more than one mounting, no matter how short that mounting is.

Wow this is the first time I've heard about PTM7950. Thru some Googling- reviews are positive. I just ordered some to try on the kid's gaming laptop.

I used it on two laptops that were using Kryonaut and got an average 12C drop on both laptops. Game over.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
If you can find a retailer that has them that is? Trying to check this out but can't seem to find a retailer listed on their website that has them in stock or even listed. Only the paste which I have but haven't used because I heard its not really any better than noctua paste and you have to reapply every year. Gamer's Nexus keep mentioning it as one of their sponsors, so now I'm curious how they perform.

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/625-kryosheet-en
I have not tried the Thermal Grizzly pads. But, I have tried the IC diamond pads (which are supposedly not as good as the Thermal Grizzly pads. But, they are more durable), with a 12600k, 12700k, 13600k, and a Ryzen 7700x.

It was adequate for the 12600k. But only just adequate. All temps were higher than usual.

For the 12700k, 13600k, and 7700x-----it was not adequate. All 3 CPUs had poor heat transfer and needed to be undervolted, to compensate. Actually, for the 7700x, I could not compensate enough. And I could never get full Cinibench R23 performance, while using the graphite pad.

I used a new pad, for each CPU. And did try re-mounting the pad and heatsink, for a couple of them.

I just used the new Kryosheets when I changed up my air cooled system. I got mine from Titan Rig in the US. I trimmed the 29x25mm one to use on a reference 6900XT (went back to air cooling from a waterblock) and the 38x38mm for my 5800X3D and TPA120. Results are both as good as any paste I've used. They are essentially a bunch of graphene sheets stacked, stood on their side and sliced so the layers transfer heat directly between the heat source and cooler. The older style ones transfer the heat through the layers horizontally. They work well, but not as well as this stuff. Thermal Grizzly has some good info like sizing suggestions and the like, but you have to dig a little. They are pretty tough, but ultralight so you need to be careful when working with them.

One thing to keep in mind is these are CONDUCTIVE, so you need to trim them if they don't fit the die/heatspreader exactly right.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is these are CONDUCTIVE, so you need to trim them if they don't fit the die/heatspreader exactly right.

Interesting. Are they tacky at all? If not I'd be concerned with them moving once I went to attach the heatsink, and touching something I didn't want them to.

Interesting. Are they tacky at all? If not I'd be concerned with them moving once I went to attach the heatsink, and touching something I didn't want them to.
once you compress them they are a little, I was worried about the same issue and ended up being REALLY deliberate and test fitting a few times before going for it. No issues so far and it's been a couple weeks.

Back