Theory: 3080 10G is just a teaser

madpistol

[H]ard|Gawd
Had a thought about this terrible launch.

The 3080 is merely a teaser. Nvidia released it to create hype around the card, and they knowingly created hype about the card. They are artificially limiting supply so that they can sell a large number of 3080 20G cards at higher prices AND higher profit margins. As weird as this may sound, we actually may see more 3090's available at launch due to the higher profit margin associated with that card.

I guess we will see in the coming month's of my theory is right.

The 3080 is merely a teaser. Nvidia released it to create hype around the card, and they knowingly created hype about the card. They are artificially limiting supply so that they can sell a large number of 3080 20G cards at higher prices AND higher profit margins. As weird as this may sound, we actually may see more 3090's available at launch due to the higher profit margin associated with that card.

I don't know about all of the conspiracy theory crap about availability. However, I think 3090's will be more readily available because fewer people spend more than $1,000 on graphics cards. Thus, the demand isn't as strong for them.

You can also say Nvidia limited the first batch of cards to prevent what happened to Turing with Space Invaders. Letting the first group do the final Q&A process. See the AMD response and finalize their lineup. Think more inline with chess. Ask yourself this, who would actually know the top level management decisions, work themselves up to that level, know the thoughts etc. and then tell the public the truth? Betray their working relationship, go against what they agreed to in disclosure => Can you even trust someone doing that? Could it have been propaganda coming from inside of AMD? Price may be more dictated by what AMD has to offer next month then some shady tactic by Nvidia. I expect Nvidia to fully stock 3080 10gb cards and sell them routinely, maybe even with a discount depending upon AMD launch and availability. One thing for sure, I wanted a card, was going to purchase one and Nvidia failed the sell. I am sure I am not the only one, the longer this goes on, it is more likely that money will not end up in Nvidia bank account. You don't make money by not selling a product.

Reactions: Elios
like this
You can also say Nvidia limited the first batch of cards to prevent what happened to Turing with Space Invaders. Letting the first group do the final Q&A process. See the AMD response and finalize their lineup. Think more inline with chess. Ask yourself this, who would actually know the top level management decisions, work themselves up to that level, know the thoughts etc. and then tell the public the truth? Betray their working relationship, go against what they agreed to in disclosure => Can you even trust someone doing that? Could it have been propaganda coming from inside of AMD? Price may be more dictated by what AMD has to offer next month then some shady tactic by Nvidia. I expect Nvidia to fully stock 3080 10gb cards and sell them routinely, maybe even with a discount depending upon AMD launch and availability. One thing for sure, I wanted a card, was going to purchase one and Nvidia failed the sell. I am sure I am not the only one, the longer this goes on, it is more likely that money will not end up in Nvidia bank account. You don't make money by not selling a product.

Low rate initial production (LRIP) is a thing to mitigate risks. It's possible you're right.

It's also not uncommon for ramp ups to go to shit. With something like video cards you really can't be too early (no place to store the stock) but being late is ok... besides angry nerds lol. Manufacturing in general has had a huge push to have little WIP, parts sitting around, so if someone is late in the chain there's little buffer.

Reactions: noko
like this
Back